Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Time to beg again...  (Read 4880 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Time to beg again...
« on: November 29, 2005, 07:34:29 PM »

Hey... So quiet you all... What's the matter, salmoned out already? ;)

Anyways, I am bringing this up because in a couple of days from now I have a meeting that focuses on how to generate more angling participation in this province (OMG! Crowding the rivers even more? :o ). ;)

One of the ways that this province promotes angling is through the annual BC Family Fishing Weekend. On that weekend, we usually host a community event in Steveston called Fish for the Future.

It's not a FWR event, but a community event made possible by a bunch of volunteers. Two years ago I started the first one, last year the turn-out wasn't great and I almost didn't want to do it this year. This year, with the help of good weather and two dozen volunteers, we had our biggest turnout so far.

This event aims to bring families out fishing, showcase what our rivers have to offer and make sure the kids are doing the right thing when they're out fishing.

Next year I plan to do it again, but I am hoping to gather some bodies in advance so I don't have to do most of the preparatory work myself. Although this year's event went smoothly, I found that my entire May and June were turned upside down because of it, no interior lake trips at all. :(

What needs to be done?

Sponsorship
Contacting people etc
Equipment collection
Promotion - This is the biggy, we always have a hard time to get the words out with the amount of funding that we receive.

We also need $$$. :-[

Each event we sell draw prize tickets to raise money. This year, after deducting the cost etc, we have $50 left. For each event, the BC Family Fishing Weekend Society provides $500 of seed money. The cost of advertising in newspapers etc takes up about 80% of this funding.

If we can have about $1000 in total to work with, things would be so much easier. So, if you or anyone you know.... ;D

On Thursday I am hoping to push for getting the seed money earlier next year. Also very interested to hear new ideas from people who came out this year on what can be done better.

The event will be on June 17th, 2006. Between January and then, I'm not looking for 100% commitment, a few hours per month would be good enough. I hope those of you who came out and met up with me to fish for pinks last September would be interested to come out and pass on what you have learned. :)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Re: Time to beg again...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 09:42:09 PM »

I was able to attend this year's event, great to see see interest in young kids, and showing them how to fish from a young age (some of the parents were even a little surprised to see how it's done).

Sorry to say Rod, I'm heading North in May next year, so I can't make it out.

I highly encourage people to help out.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 10:29:38 PM »

What is the targeted age group for the event?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 10:32:06 PM »

16 and under, but most kids range from 5 to 14 at these events.

The BC Family Fishing Weekend is primarily a freshwater event, but our event is hosted in tidal waters, the only one in BC. Events that are hold in freshwater that weekend allow both adults and children to fish for free, while the usual tidal regulations still apply to everyone at our event, so children can fish for free with a licence and adults need to purchase a licence to fish.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 11:07:12 PM »

What's the estimated event date for 2006?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 11:08:30 PM »

Bwi Bwi, the cough syrup has finally gotten to your head lol. ;D

The event will be on June 17th, 2006.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 12:57:17 AM by Rodney »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 12:07:05 AM »

Oh, I'm only seeing fish can't read very well.  :P :P

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 12:57:40 AM »

But like your daughter has been saying... "What fish?" ;D

Nostro

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 07:59:44 AM »

I haven't been to the one at Steveston yet. It's a little far to come in from Chilliwack.
But, last year, there was a similar event at Cultus Lake. I believe Chris, among many others, was involved with that one. I would be very interested in helping out in a future Cultus Lake event. It is an excellent way to not only promote this sport but spread awareness by being involved to young and old alike.
Never look a fish in the eye.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 11:50:01 AM »

But like your daughter has been saying... "What fish?" ;D

Hmmph, and with the latest fishing trip she can mock me even more.  :P

"Daddy, are you here to catch fish or learn how to release fish?"  :-[ :-[ :P
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 11:51:44 AM by BwiBwi »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 12:52:48 PM »

The Cultus Lake pikeminnow derby always takes place on the same day as the event in Richmond. That one is put together by the Fraser Valley Salmon Society, usually very well attended as well. I believe the derby also provides relevant information for the Cultus Lake sockeye salmon lab? Here's a report from this year's derby by CG:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=7005.0

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 04:17:50 AM »

Rodney, I will help out where I can.  You just tell me the things that need to be done and I will tell you if I am available, or have the time to do them.  I will keep my schedule clear for June 16-17 So that I can help out on those days!!
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 10:35:31 AM »

I'll probably be around to help with slimy things on hooks again...and my great knot tying skills. ;D

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 10:49:57 AM »

I'll be there to help out,If the City of Richmond can confirm that we could use their tables and chairs that would save the rental costs, it was not cheap renting them this year.
If they cant provide the tables and chairs maybe Penderson rentals or another rental company can provide them at no cost in exchange of having a couple of signs up on the day of the event.
Eg. "Tables and chairs donated by Penderson rentals" just an idea.
I'll pick them up and drop them off like the past years.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 10:52:51 AM »

Thanks guys. :)

Flyfisherman, this year's tables and chairs were not available from Richmond because they had another big event going on the same weekend. Should be ok next year. They still charge us a small rental fee though, but it's definitely much cheaper than what we paid from the party rental place. :-\

I'll keep you all informed.