Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does one become a fishing guide?  (Read 6366 times)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: How does one become a fishing guide?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 08:25:49 AM »

It's all about who you know.

I've been offered several guiding gigs by friends that work in the industry. 
Actions speak louder than words.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 08:46:20 AM »

It's all about who you know.

x2 .  Is all about connection.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 10:05:34 AM »

Everything is about who you know, thats with any job now a days really.  I got younger family members who are struggling to find a job at grocery stores? For entry level jobs, its like kinda sad. All he needs to do is stock shelves or collect buggies and do the trash. It's not like hes trying to run the store or Dept.

Heck, I know I am struggling because I don't know anyone in the industry I was looking to work for. I went back to school to become a automotive technician. Doesn't matter how good at or how much I know. Just are magically full..."We just finished our winter hiring" ... back in June or more commonly "we aren't taking on more apprentices"
Well not its september so its even harder to get a job, i'd settle for working on boat engines or motorcycles.

Now I am just looking for part time work so I can get my first aid and all those certifications done for Guiding. Unless I find a mechanic job, which is my second passion. Heh. Wanted to work on rebuilding old cars when I was kid so I could have that 1963 mercury comet when I grew up.   ;D

It's tough, just make friends/work at tackle shops, most of these shops have guiding or have deals with guides to supply gear/customers etc. There is a lot of I scratch your back, you scratch mine. Because now a days its tough for most people to get out and do guided fishing trips, they aren't cheap.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 10:07:20 AM by A Frayed Knot »
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 10:33:37 AM »

It used to be that you needed to write an exam and carry 1 million liability and you were issued your guide licence.
Im sure the liability will be more now however.

I started my own guiding business and worked for myself.
Its a great way to ruin a hobby but I would do it all over again if I could.
I can remember my first day and last day and cant quite say which day I was happier. :)

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 11:16:20 AM »

Heck, I know I am struggling because I don't know anyone in the industry I was looking to work for. I went back to school to become a automotive technician. Doesn't matter how good at or how much I know. Just are magically full..."We just finished our winter hiring" ... back in June or more commonly "we aren't taking on more apprentices"
Well not its september so its even harder to get a job, i'd settle for working on boat engines or motorcycles.

Check out this job posting over on FlyBC: http://forum.flybc.ca/index.php?showtopic=50091  You will need an account to view the Classified subforum.