Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help - need computer advise with virus  (Read 3100 times)

norm_2

Help - need computer advise with virus
« on: January 07, 2006, 11:15:16 AM »

Any adivce for the following problem?  I know very little about computers.  I have formatted the harddrive a couple times after a virus and still have it.  On formatting, I format C:, boot from CD; install Windows ME; install Norton Antivirus.

If I do not do any Windows updating, it will run.  After a couple days, if I run Norton, Norton will say there has been a change to to boot record area.  I always say it is not authorized and it will continue to run.

If I do a Windows ME updating, Norton stops running and will not come back.  The computer will run but Norton will not work.

Have tried "fdisk/mbr" and it has not worked.

Any ideas?  Where have I gone wrong on the formating?  The hard drive is split into drive C: and D:; is this the problem?  How do I get rid of drive D:?  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Thanks. 

mojoman

• Old Timer
Re: Help - need computer advise with virus
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 12:31:22 PM »

get rid of Nortin and ME....load win2000 and all your probs will dissapear....load XP....and you get a new set of probs...;)))

mojo techin' since '94
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 02:19:18 PM »

Hi Norm 2. Did you have Norton installed prior to getting the virus, or did you install it after having the virus?

I have XP and Norton, and Norton catches all kinds of virus's before it affects anything. Nothing has ever gotten through, if all the functions are on.Are you sure all of your function options are on with your Norton?

Also, do you do any downloading where you have to turn off your firewall, or security settings?

Is your Norton a program you bought from a store, or is it one someone sent you in a file, or did you get it off the net?

ColinB

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 03:05:13 PM »

You can always try an EXternal virus checker.  Look for Housecall [Trend AV] on Google and you will be asked to download a small program, then just follow the instuctions.  It worked for me when I had a little so and so to get rid of.

Agree with Mojoman, get rid of Norton & ME, 2000pro is OK, but I have no problem with XP home with SP1.  Horses for courses.

Colin

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 05:24:02 PM »

I'm no computer whiz but I would recommend using Ad-aware along with HijackThis!.  I'm stuck on a mac for now so I'm not familiar with the latest versions of these programs but when I had a PC I found ad-aware to be very useful.  It will detect malicious programs/spyware/trojans/etc... that a virus scanner cannot.  I just checked out their webpage and it seems you must purchase the Plus version of the software to access their support.  There used to be a free support forum to guide you through what to remove with ad-aware and HijackThis! which I highly recommed because both these programs will reveal stuff that the program shows as possible threats when really they are part of a valid program on your computer. I found the people on the forum to be extremly helpful in solving all my problems. On second thought you may want to download the free (personal) version and check to see if it turns up any possible threats first before spending the money. I wouldn't recommend using HijackThis! unless you have access to the support forums because it is much more tricky to use than ad-aware but it's advantage is it can detect other stuff. Make sure you set ad-aware to do a complete scan on both your C: and D: . You may also want to consider dumping Norton for AVG.  AVG is free and less of a memory (Ram) hog. One possibility is that Norton is not compatible with the windows update. I hope this is of some help to you, good luck! 

Ad-aware can be found here  http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ Requires a P166 and at least 24 megs of Ram

HijackThis! can be download from here.  This site also has some very useful info to aid you.  I see they have a forum there now too. Utilizing the forum is probably your best bet.   http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 06:07:55 PM by Eagleye »

norm_2

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 06:36:44 PM »

Happy New Year everybody and thanks for the replies!

Mojoman; with this old computer, I don't know if it is worth spending for the cost of a new program (Windows 2000).  Send me a message if you have a used copy I can buy.  Nevertheless, is it not possible to format etc and get rid of the virus?  Where is it hiding?

Addicted; Norton was running when I got the virus.  I use the standard Norton settings so they are all on.  I have no firewall.  I bought the Norton from a computer repair guy who was doing some work at a company I was visiting.  He is an honest guy and I think the program CD is good.  Even now, I can run Norton and there will be no viruses but if I download any file, Norton will disappear.

Colin; I will look into that program.

Eagleye; Ad-aware is installed and run periodically.  I will look into Hijack.

Where I am at now is I think I have done a good format and clean install but obviously have not eliminated it.  What further steps can I do on my format and install?

Thanks. 

Buckeye

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 06:51:21 PM »

if I run Norton, Norton will say there has been a change to to boot record area.  I always say it is not authorized

What does that mean? You don't allow NAV to fix it?

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 04:43:02 PM »

ok.....a fairly wellknown DOS cammand is format c:....if you can boot from a bootable disk...boot to the DOS prompt...type   format c" /mbr   .....this command formats your master boot record....a not so well known "switch"....after the command is executed...it don't take long...then u simplypull out disk and boot machine cross your eyes...legs...arms...fingers...and hope ME will respond..;))

mojo if this don't work....mail me

Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley