Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 4 racoons kill & eat family cat in Richmond.  (Read 5779 times)

arimaBOATER

4 racoons kill & eat family cat in Richmond.
« on: July 13, 2011, 10:46:32 PM »

We have a cat that is 14 yrs old & still in very good condition BUT it stays indoors.

Cats that roam outdrs can be attacked by dogs...get run over...land in cat fights (some pass on a cat aids via bites) ...get killed by coyotes & get killed by racoons.
Possily a meal for eagles ?????????
 Our local "freebie" has a story of a family's 14 yr old cat that was killed & eaten by racoons.
source: RICHMOND NEWS July13/2011 in the LETTERS section.

Can't imagine having a pet that long only to fall pry to wild animals.

Bears cougars racoons etc...being seen in our communities ...& soon to have zillions of possible West Nile mosquitos...in the LML.
But pet owners should be alert for your cat or small dog as they could easily become victims :o :o :o
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 10:49:13 PM by A-BOATER »

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: 4 racoons kill & eat family cat in Richmond.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 11:53:16 PM »

Over the years in my neighbourhood, the daylight of morning reveals pieces of cats that have met their demse during night. Just yesterday, my son found the leg of cat. A couple of years ago, neighbours found the remains of half of their cat on their driveway. Sometimes, with the windows open at night during the summer you will hear the screech of a cat and then yipping of coyotes. Chalk up one more Garfield to Wile E. and his buddies!

I am not a cat lover so I have a hard time shedding a tear over it. In fact, there is one down the street that I would love to introduce to the things that go bump in the night.  ;D

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 05:38:00 AM »

What do people think that cats are doing outside all night anyways? What goes around comes around!

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 07:23:53 AM »

yes. well, its called survival of the fittest. it sucks not being on the top of the foodchain, but everytime a pet gets eaten I always hear "we should kill at the raccoons or bears or cougars or etc"  ::) and that drives me mad. they are just looking for food - no different then your cat hunting mice or rats or birds, etc.

MIKE1

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 08:47:49 AM »

yes. well, its called survival of the fittest. it sucks not being on the top of the foodchain, but everytime a pet gets eaten I always hear "we should kill at the raccoons or bears or cougars or etc"  ::) and that drives me mad. they are just looking for food - no different then your cat hunting mice or rats or birds, etc.

I agree, I think that people need to remember its a wild world and that they are animals after all.

I do agree its sad though to lose a pet, my wife and I have a cat that we have had for 6-7 years and he is part of the family.

Dogbreath

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 10:28:53 AM »

Over the years in my neighbourhood, the daylight of morning reveals pieces of cats that have met their demse during night. Just yesterday, my son found the leg of cat. A couple of years ago, neighbours found the remains of half of their cat on their driveway.
I live almost downtown Vancouver and Coyotes are always taking out pets here.

Once my neighbour found the head of a cat right across the street and she wrapped it up in a poster she took off a telephone pole.

You guessed it-the poster was for the same missing cat.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 11:03:51 AM »

Fin ...according to the letter to the newspaper the racoons were seen eating the cat...& when people gathered...they (racoons) carried the cat to a dif. location...

We have had cats all our lives & at one point had 4 of them at one time. BELIEVE ME they were TOTALLY DIFFERENT in character & personality from each other...Blackie the remaining 14 yr old cat likes to be indrs so it's not a problem.

The other cats wanted to be outside...infact one cat would sneak out the siding door to the deck ...jump up to the metal railing & do a TARZAN jump to the lawn below. (2nd story jump) Even for big folks like us a jump down that far is scary BUT when your a 15 lb cat a jump from that height is amazing to see.
the other day our neighbour got a kitten from the SPCA & he said it will be an indr cat.
If a cat has a good personality they can be great to own.
We also have a carpet post inwhich the cat uses to claw at...saves the couch & curtains.
Do recommend if ya have a cat or if ya get one train it to be a house cat. Ya can even train them to like a harnse ot leash ...ya can walk them with a rope.
(EXTRA:if ya get a cat WORTH REPEATING...& keep it in the home...(safety) recommend not to get a white colored one...they have more health issues & ya know what vet bills can be. Our 14 yr old gets it's yrly needles & check up maybe $80...cost of food (Parina dry & canned food)
& cat litter.Get a big sized at Costco for $8.00 which lasts a long time...so in our case it is not expensive.)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 11:07:10 AM by A-BOATER »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 03:59:51 PM »

Maybe getting a Racoon for a pet is the answer. Just let it out at night to look for dinner and do it's business.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

arimaBOATER

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 01:49:39 PM »

One family had their aged pet cat in their home....it must be safe RIGHT ??? Well..................

Their son came into the house & the next dr. neighbour's pit bull entered before the dr. could be closed.
It made a B-LINE to the cat & it just bit hard & steady.
The pit bull just would let go....no matter what.
INDOOR PET CAT DEAD. :o
 Been a bad time lately for outside & house cats. Happened on Vancouver Island. (source last night's CTV local tv news)
Owners must be in a type of shock as the image sets in one's mind.

Also the crows in our area are not doing so well either...on various outside poles they are landing in hot wires & BANG ...noise like a shot gun. Sometimes people's electricity goes out. 3 crows dead recently !!!!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 05:04:10 PM by A-BOATER »

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 08:56:10 AM »

--then there was Old Henry.. my grandmothers Sylvester coloured cat black with white boots.. He was old fat and slow even to get to his food. The neighbours got a black lab.. which as some do, became a killer of cats, small dogs and rabbits. As per usual the lab owners ignored complaint and accusations.. allowing the dog to roam the neighbourhood.
--Old Henry liked to bask in the sun on the front porch with one foot dangling over the edge.. my Grandmother lived in fear of the inevitable. the lab spotted Old Henry and charged across the street... Henry actually jumped off the porch for cover of a bush near the fence... a lot of commotion then Old Henry triumphantly emerged from the bush. The dog owners complained about our dangerous pet as the lab returned home with a chunk out of his ear and requiring stitches to his nose. The lab being smarter than his owners never again crossed the street when Old Henry was on the porch and seemed to jump back in fear if Old Henry twitched that dangling paw.

StillAqua

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 10:40:33 AM »

We had a couple of seniors down the lane from us who loved having raccoons around. They had a lean-to wood shed attached to their garage and were quite proud that raccoon families made their homes there every year (although they swore they didn't feed them). The husband passed away and we all chipped in to clean up the property so the wife could put the house on the market. A couple of us decided to remove the old wood shed and as we pulled it apart, it was clearly a well used raccoon den. We also found 4 cat collars in the debris.

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 06:36:44 AM »

Outdoors cats are small wildlife killers and heavy on local singing birds populations. They shouldn't be outside, specially at night.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 06:43:52 AM »

I doubt the Racoons ate it too.
However i wouldnt be surprised if they didnt trade it for a dinner for three somewhere. ;)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 09:01:21 AM »

http://www.bear-tracker.com/raccoonpredationoncats.html

This web site is pretty graphic so don't go there if you don't want to see dead cats killed most likely by the "killer rac". I lived on indian arm once and the neighbours cats often went missing. everyone blamed the raccoons. :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

YetiHunter

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 10:06:19 AM »

I'm not a cat lover, but I don't like to see families lose their pets. However, anyone that lets their cat roam free is a lousy pet owner and not doing the cat or the local bird population any favours. Cats are responsible for the loss of millions of songbirds every year in North America. I woulldn't let my dog run free and the same rules should apply to cats.

I think racoons are considered omnivorous and I have no problem believing they would eat a cat.