Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Article in the Progress on flossing  (Read 2059 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Article in the Progress on flossing
« on: November 03, 2006, 01:16:18 PM »

Fishers cry foul over 'flossing'

By Jennifer Feinberg
The Progress
Nov 03 2006

Something has to be done to quell a controversial angling practice that's increasing without concern for conservation or sportsmanship, say critics.

"When you go onto the Vedder River now, most of the fish you see are being caught by the method of flossing," explained Gord Park, who calls himself a concerned local angler.

Flossing - using an extra-long leader line that is drawn across the fish's mouth like dental floss - has become a growing practice that's increasingly dividing the angling community.

"To catch a fish in the Vedder using a 10-foot leader doesn't make sense," said Park. "It should be a two-foot leader maximum. It's all you need."

The flossing method mushroomed with the growth of the Fraser sockeye fishery over the past decade and critics are worried it has now spread to fisheries for other species like coho, and chinook on the Chilliwack-Vedder system.

The flossing method, which often results in foul-hooking fish, is raising the hackles of conservationists and those who advocate better sportfishing ethics. But those who defend the practice argue it's no more unsporting than other ways of fishing.

Park said he recently spearheaded an effort to help educate fellow anglers on the alternative methods to flossing. Interested fishermen were invited a spot on the Abbotsford side of the Keith Wilson Bridge last month for a free session on fishing techniques considered more sporting and fairer to the fish.

"The purpose was to show people another way instead of flossing and snagging the fish," Park said.

With the rapid rise of the sockeye fishery specifically, some anglers never got the chance to learn any other methods, he suggested. A small group showed up to learn about options like using a short float, drift fishing, spin casting and fly fishing, said Park.

All of these can be strong alternatives to flossing, he argued, and they hope to be able to host another similar session soon.

"I wanted to do what I could to help get people away from bottom-bouncing and using a 10-foot leader, as they tend to do during the sockeye season on the Fraser River," he explained. "The whole idea is to have the fish commit to the bite."

The divisive problem, debated vociferously among members of a few on-line fishing forums across the province, is exacerbated by low flows in the river system now.

What's been called a 'snagfest' on the river has led to increasingly urgent calls for change, coming from within the sportfishing community itself, and appeals are going out for more enforcement by Fisheries and Oceans Canada personnel.

"I'm not in favour of what's been going on - it's not right - however I don't think it's just the problem of Joe Q. Angler," said Frank Kwak, president of the Fraser Valley Salmon Society.

There's a "need for increased education" among the throngs of fishermen who flock to local rivers, and that's something local groups have applied to get funding for, to no avail, Kwak said.

The real challenge is when anglers line up "bumper to bumper" along the riverbanks, he said.

"If they're are legitimately fishing, that's one thing. But if they're throwing their lines into a deep pool and fish are being repeatedly foul-hooked, it just behooves them to realize they're not fishing correctly and to move on."

The answer is for DFO to start fining people when they're caught, Kwak offered. He said he's seen ample evidence of some questionable practices around the Vedder Canal and the Keith Wilson Bridge so far this fall, including mishandling of fish as they're being returned to the water.

"The water has been very shallow of late, meaning the fish can't move up the river system," said Kwak. "They sense there's no water up ahead and they'll hold in areas where there's a hole, or a pool."

As an enthusiastic angler in B.C. for the past seven years, he spends about $100 a year on licences. But in all that time, he said he's never been checked even once by a DFO officer.

The one time he watched an enforcement official laboriously write out a ticket, and he estimated it took about 30 minutes. That's "way too much time" spent writing out a ticket, he said, not to mention recording the details back at the office later.

"Part of the answer to the problem is increased ticketing, but the enforcement seems to be going down just when we need it to step up to the plate," he said.

Anglers themselves are also responsible for knowing the rules. The sportfishing advocate said he's not in favour of river closures as a way to address the problem, unless there's a fish stock of conservation concern at risk.

He is also loath to lay the blame solely at the feet of DFO enforcement.

"They have limited resources, and they're doing what they're told," he said, adding part of the challenge is also that there are simply not enough of them out there. "But I do think the reality is that DFO enforcement needs to pick up the pace and fine or ticket people - lots of people - which includes those who are throwing hooks into pools, and hooking fish in areas other than the mouth."

http://www.theprogress.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=39&cat=23&id=764729&more=

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Re: Article in the Progress on flossing
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 04:28:48 PM »

Read the new Salmon and Steelhead journal, they show and talk about a river in downtown Anchorage....It's just like KWB...insane when you consider where else you can fish there, but very close so obviously a LOT of guys do it...funny thing was though, they tell how the guys do it, they give you some simple rules like...Your combat fishing, you chose to do it so no whining allowed!! but they said the police come down regularly to check and solve any disputes...I think that is the biggest difference...Kind of a crack up to read though...pictures are good too...looks real familiar..

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 04:58:42 PM »

great article,some very good points are made,i agree education for new anglers is something that is needed as well as better enforcement of the fishing regs,without more enforcement on our rivers we can create as many new   regulations to curb this kind of activity as has been talked about but without enough officers out ticketing and showing a presence on our rivers any new regs will not have much of an effect on the current happenings.I know there are many individuals as well as certain groups that put on seminars and take new people to the sport fishing  in an effort to help in the education process and i think this is great but education alone will not eliminate the problems we are seeing today,the regs must change and we have to have more enforcement on our rivers in some form or another,it just seems to me that our voices are not being heard by the powers to be and the local fisherman are being left to deal with the problems on our own in our own way which doesn't allways have a happy ending.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 07:05:54 PM »

Finally an article in the paper to help address the problem to fishers, and non-fishers. First off I believe before a fishing license can be obtained, the new register, should have to go through a bit of homework. First I believe the DFO, and head of fisheries should create a set of detailed guidelines to explain the proper method to fish for salmon & steelhead in river systems. Once these guidelines have been made they should be handed out before a person can register a license. The person should then be given a minimum 2 week study period, much like obtaining a BC license. Once this period is over, the newly registering fisher should be prompted to take a short test, this would ensure they are well aware of what they are doing while on the river. This would put an end to the words "I didn't know better" or "Im getting some in the mouth, they must be biting". ::) Until we tackle this first step in educating people on the proper fishing method, and fishing related aspects, I don’t think we can end flossing and snagging. The new fishing education system would end any doubt of one not knowing how to fish "properly" and therefore, hopefully, not demanded a greater need for enforcement, and with no excuses can fine or suspend a person for not fishing within the demanded guidelines.

This is just what I believe would work best, But realistically I don’t think any change will come soon. From all the garbage and lack of respect on the river right now I wouldn’t be surprised if any change will come, and if some new regulations are enforced those same negative people who fish our rivers now, will not change at all. With a little bit of enforcement, knowledge and commitment I see no reason for the rivers to get back into reasonable shape, with the exception of the negative people.
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 08:19:09 PM »

Big Fisher, I believe this is the start of a public awareness as well many people as well as many anglers do not understand what has been going on the last while. As I have stated numerous times two different committees recently have been struck to try and deal with what you and others have mentioned now and before. I am pleased to be included in these upcoming discussions.

The good part is something is now trying to be done instead of all the "bickering" as Rodney calls it that goes on every season, time for action not just talk but to get action talk must first happen. ???

I also heard today the SFAB South Coast meeting tomorrow in Nanaimo has this topic on their agenda. I believe at least one of our forum members will be at that meeting. Maybe he will share what is said. I believe there will be minutes from this meeting so they in all likely hood be made available. I had to send some info to our FVSS member tonight for his presentation. Glad we have some one like him representing us as he sees both ends of the picture with this difficult issue.

Stayed tunned, this is now the beginning of changing things for the betterment of all including the most important thing, the fish, in my opinion anyway.

Time to write The Journal.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 09:20:57 PM »

This was a prelude article to today's story on the subject.