Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trout fishing in the Vedder  (Read 5787 times)

squishy fishy

Trout fishing in the Vedder
« on: June 30, 2006, 07:47:40 PM »

Hi Everyone

Anyone out there target the smaller species in the Vedder? i.e. the elusive hatchery rainbow. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Squishy

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Trout fishing in the Vedder
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 08:18:14 PM »

i wouldnt say elusive as the river is chalked full of them in the summer, look for a deep pool such as allison.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

fishinmansam

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 08:25:27 PM »

The vedder opens {tomorrow ;D}. Most people target the springs but there are other species in there

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 08:59:47 PM »

Worms, small shrimp, and wedding band produce, look for deep pools, or pocket water for them, and as king pin said they are full of em in summer.

buck

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 09:13:26 PM »

Rainbow trout in the Chilliwack/Vedder are for the most part juvenile Steelhead. There are a few large resident trout in the closed area above Slesse Creek. So everytime you bonk one of these trout you are eliminating the possible return of an adult steelhead.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 09:25:11 PM »

Rainbow trout in the Chilliwack/Vedder are for the most part juvenile Steelhead. There are a few large resident trout in the closed area above Slesse Creek. So everytime you bonk one of these trout you are eliminating the possible return of an adult steelhead.
Thats right Buck. I may go out tomorrow and wander about and see if the anglers are landing many wild ones that of course have to have to be released. I would be interested in the ratio of clipped to unclipped if anyone that is out feels like posting this info.

buck

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 09:54:56 PM »

Chris, we are planning to go out over the next two weeks to check the ratio of marked to unmarked juveniles at various locations along the Vedder/Chilliwack. If you are feeling weak from  loss of blood you may require a blood transfusion. Good job playing your fish, but netting could use a little work, as could ours.

sliverbullet

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 10:05:29 PM »

if your fly fishing use floating line with a chew toy, stonefly or any small pattern such as size 14 that floats

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 10:33:30 PM »

yea fishkind and i had a riot last july fly-fishing for them last year in the lower river 8). most were small hatch juvie steelies, but then a few wild ones. also lost one dolly and fishkind had a something big turn away from his fly. my dad also landed a huge hatchery trout.

and if your fly-fishing in the upper river, stoneflies work like a charm :)..heres one from last year fishing for red springs, and also brought the fly-rod up which i got this one on. fought very good for its size.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 10:40:49 PM »

Good grief Cody, why were you wearing neoprene waders during that time of the year?! ;D

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 10:43:47 PM »

well it is quite the trek to that place...climbing over log jams and all. well as you can see i tried to compensate by pulling them down somewhat ::)

squishy fishy

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 10:48:03 PM »

Thanks for all the info you guys. We'll be C&R flyfishing. Thanks for the great pic Coho Cody. I also dig the "summer on top, winter on bottom" look. Fishkind, what on earth is a chew toy?

Squishy

johnny

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 10:50:05 PM »

From what I understand the "juvenille" steelhead that are left are ones that choose not to follow the majority out to the ocean. They would likely become resident and compete for available food because If they haven't left the system yet they aren't likely to ever do so. This is why they don't even restrict the size of hatchery trout to kill(as it used to be).. they don't mind if you kill them.

At least that's what I was told by a hatchery worker when enquiring about the limit of 4 fish a day with no minimum size limit.
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 11:13:48 PM »

squishy, the stimi chew toy looks like this ;)

fishinmansam

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 11:25:55 PM »

chew toy=grab a big hunk of redman n stick it on the hook or Levi G