Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lucky Bug Lures  (Read 8491 times)

A Frayed Knot

Lucky Bug Lures
« on: October 13, 2013, 03:27:39 PM »

I was tying some flies before the big turkey off and had the TV going in the background and heard mention of these bingo bugs. They kinda of remind me of those little bass lures you might give to the kids with the rubber body and lead weight heads. Anyway I never put much stock into those shows, but I thought maybe I'd ask around and see if anyone has given them a shot. Myself I never really get much time to experiment now a days.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

Shawn6o4

Re: Lucky Bug Lures
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 05:46:46 PM »

Bought an orange and black one and it works so damn well we whent back and bought six others, highly recomend them. I find the green frog bingo bug works best

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 06:03:23 PM »

Fillibert

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 12:34:53 AM »

Got some but unless trolling they are impossible to cast even with an UL rod. Unless someone has tips (where would you pinch the split shot)

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 01:52:50 AM »

I have wondered the same thing Fillibert. I think tossin' them with my 11ft switch rod, or just drifting since I am running out of the jigsI am looking for a place to buy some aside from army and navy, I am wondering if they sell right from the warehouse, I notice they are in Burnaby.

Shawn6o4; what sizes would you recommend?

I think I will go with a couple safe colors, I am looking forward to doing some Chum fishing now that springs and coho should be done, finally start gettin' the rivers to myself. Haha.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

Shawn6o4

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 07:38:45 AM »

I don't use split shots I find it tangles up, i use like a foot and half leader swivel then a bullet weight ( whichever size )

Im not sure what size they are as I just ripped the package off and tied it on, I just picked a couple larger for salmon and a few small ones for the lakes.

I got mine at berrys bait and they were backing it up aswell and they have a few tips on how to rig them up but i like the way I've been using them haven't had any problems.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 10:17:55 AM »

--for casting set them up like dropshot... T-Turn Swivel short stiff leader..
--They will sometimes catch the main line so you have to adjust.. depending on your casting style.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 11:41:41 AM »

I may head out that way then (to BBT)

I think using just a dropshot or the bullet weight would be fine.

BananasQ

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 06:26:45 PM »

Just went trolling with a variety of lures at Buntzen - the sole lucky bug i had was the most productive. I'm stocking up on these too.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 07:05:44 PM »

Hmm.  Seems like the re-invention of the flatfish.

I tried them a few years ago and got hits when nothing else was working but very few hookups.  I concluded the hook gape was too small.  Maybe I should have another look.

juno

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 11:05:24 PM »

Yeah, like a flatfish, I bought a couple too, luckybug haven't used them yet,  going for pinks  maybe  need to use the  boat to make it work. however  late june at  an interior lake  it was really slow for fly fishing  it was getting too hot. and so then an oldtimer was catching them. I asked him, what are you using?  flat fish for 50 years  but he was losing as much as catching,  the hook not setting right maybe

BananasQ

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 11:21:43 PM »

I'm unsure of what the flatfish were / are, but it was the Bingo Bug that worked for me - the kinda fly / lure hybrid. We were doing super slooooooow trolling from a canoe. Anyway, tightlines!

Dogbreath

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 01:11:47 PM »

Hmm.  Seems like the re-invention of the flatfish.
Or the Kwikfish, or the  Apex, or the Tomic TNT or the Swimmertail