Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lake tornados?  (Read 8593 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Lake tornados?
« on: May 07, 2015, 05:52:57 PM »

Still in disbelieve what I saw last weekend in merit and now curious to what the hell it was. I was up in merit doing some lake fishing on a nice sunny day. When at around 2pm I heard a loud noise get louder and louder, the sound of a large fan. I turned around to look an witnessed the formation of a tornado, it became bigger and more visible as time went on. I was almost in shock as soon as I clued in on what was happening. It was as high as the evergreen trees and 40 feet wide, my buddy said the white caps at the base for at least 4 feet high. I'm trying to google some info on this but cannot find anything. I just can't make sense of it? Has anyone seen this before?
The Bigger The Better!

mikeyman

Re: Lake tornados?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 07:01:09 PM »

I use my tornado simulation machine when fishing gets slow...it sucks the fish up out of the lake and drops them on the shore for me. On a more serious note That sound scary. A water spout? Wouldn't want to be caught near it.

mikeyman

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 07:07:51 PM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hN7ug1zoWWE

Video that shows a small one...Not sure if its such a good idea to chase t down like in the video.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 08:13:40 PM »

This thing was very visible, stationary and lasted 20-30 seconds. Like I'm still in disbelief what I saw. I need to find some info on it.
The Bigger The Better!

losos

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 09:47:03 PM »

Long time ago I witnessed one about 20-30 meters high water funnel. It run over fishing guy ,pulled him out of the boat and dropped in the lake and disappeared as fast as it appeared. It lasted no more than 10-20 seconds. Weather was perfect,sunny and no wind.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 09:48:35 PM by losos »

wonder

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 07:31:21 AM »

smoke another one ryan  ;D

rootbeer

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 09:38:24 AM »

If I remember correctly, something like that was blamed for some deaths on the Shuswap many years ago.

brandooner

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 10:09:21 AM »

smoke another one ryan  ;D

hahahaha
The Fishin' Musician!

brandooner

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 10:12:26 AM »

The Fishin' Musician!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 06:41:51 PM »

I've always referred to them as water spouts or "water devils" (they are the same thing as a dust devil, but over water instead of land). I still haven't really been able to find the cause of them. I'd imagine they are caused due to conditions similar to those that cause a dust devil:

"Dust devils form as a swirling updraft under sunny conditions during fair weather, rarely coming close to the intensity of a tornado"

The largest one I ever saw, believe it or not, was at a learn to fish program at Green Timbers. It was easily 200 feet tall and around 40 feet wide. Lasted around 30 seconds and nearly pulled our tent into the lake, even with a number of adults holding it down. I've seen some smaller ones on other lakes as well. They can definitely have some suction, and I would never approach one. On odd occasions larger ones can pick up inflatables, etc over a short distance.

Just google water spout, or water devil and see what you can find! Even googling dust devils may get you some info you want!

norton

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 10:21:54 PM »

Yes I saw that tornado too. I was on roach lake

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 11:41:14 PM »

Buddys experienced the same thing on Glimpse Lake a few years ago.
Scary stuff allright.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 02:21:38 AM »

It sounds like a water spout: http://www.wjla.com/blogs/weather/2012/08/tornadoes-vs-waterspouts-what-s-the-difference--16430.html

the distinction between a waterspout and tornado can get a bit confusing when a waterspout forms over water and then moves ashore or if the opposite occurs. First it’s worth noting that a waterspout forms over water due to warm temperatures in the lower atmosphere along with high humidity they are generally not as dangerous as a tornadic waterspout. These type of non tornadic waterspouts average between 3-100 meters and pack winds less than 45 knots. While rare should a waterspout move inland and somehow sustain itself then it would be classified as a tornado. This is what occurred on Aug. 7.

A tornadic waterspout on the other hand is totally different animal. For a tornadic waterspout to form you would typically start with a super cell thunderstorm, which has large scale rotation. It would originate as a tornado on land and then move onto a large body of water such as the ocean or even lakes. Tornadic waterspouts can be dangerous, destructive and deadly for those on the water or even at the Marina.

In case you are wondering the National Weather Service does not distinguish between tornadic waterspouts and non tornadic waterspouts when they issues warnings. No matter which of these you may encounter it is best be alert and prepare to seek shelter so you and your family can stay safe.
Read more: http://www.wjla.com/blogs/weather/2012/08/tornadoes-vs-waterspouts-what-s-the-difference--16430.html#ixzz3Zf9qSiod
Follow us: @ABC7News on Twitter | WJLATV on Facebook
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 05:59:14 PM »

Probably a little over twenty years ago, I was a kid on a camping trip with my family on Lac le Jeune. My Dad and I were on the lake fishing when the weather quickly turned bad so we started heading for shore. Just after we had got there, at the end of the lake, I remember a water spout like what you described appeared out of no where and tossed a bunch of rental canoes out into the middle before disappearing. I remember it quite well but have never seen anything like it since. I asked my Dad if it happened as I remembered or was just exaggerating what I saw as a kid but he confirmed it and described it exactly as I remembered.

wizard

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 07:16:03 PM »

Bigfisher,I was probably on the same lake as you that day, last sunday, little lake above Merritt.  I actually caught some video of it but can't upload it... it was pretty cool and glad I or no one else was fishing in it, not that they would've got hurt but wet for sure and all their stuff thrown everywhere, wouldn't have been fun... 
btw, Fishing was hot and cold that day for me.  the winds weren't particularily strong but it was swirling and kept switching directions which made setting up on the drop-offs difficult, I have seen some other water spouts I guess you could call them but not as big or intense as that one.
Were you the guys who had two boats stacked on each other on a trailer?