Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: China eyeing timberland on Vancouver Island  (Read 15148 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
China eyeing timberland on Vancouver Island
« on: November 07, 2012, 10:36:02 AM »

The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday that China is preparing to invest about $100 million in timber assets mainly on Vancouver Island.

The Journal said China’s government wealth fund, the China Investment Corp., is negotiating with Toronto-based Brookfield Asset Management for a 12.5 per cent stake in Island Timberlands, which owns about 254,000 hectares of forest land.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2012/11/06/china-investment-brookfield.html

Thoughts?

Wondering...
Nog

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
Re: China eyeing timberland on Vancouver Island
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 01:50:59 PM »

Hmmm... parking cash??!! .. okay - just don't start exporting raw logs further east...
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

bcguy

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 05:13:46 AM »

More raw logs going out soon
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 08:20:26 AM »

They don't want to buy were the pine beetle goes. Harper likes to sell us out and he got voted in. Them logs will be gone so quick it will make your head spin.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

lucas

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 12:09:19 PM »

Wow,When the Chinese are done with our province there wont be anything left,kinda like there country!

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 01:46:29 PM »

Just wondering... if we dont sell our resources....how does Canada make money? From what i've read in the past, Canada has not been the ideal partner for China in lumber trades because they used to buy their lumber from Russia. A lower quality lumber compared to our lumber at a cheaper rate. Sucks that we are losing our resources but whats the difference in trading it to China compared to the USA (through NAFTA)?

StillAqua

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 03:00:31 PM »

There's a subtle difference between buying our resources and owning our resources. We have control over how much value added processing and job creation goes on in Canada when we're the owners and sellers.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 04:03:20 PM »

--BC already allows the export of raw logs so it is only significant if China owned company has enough shares to dictate a lower price to their market.
--Presumably they could sell wood to themselves at a loss thus reducing any taxes they would pay as showing no profit.. heck they probably would get a subsidy. Maybe they could bring in skilled labour to do the logging as there is a shortage of loggers willing to work for minimum wage... or pay for the privilege of working for the company.

--Even if we had laws to more closely scrutinize the forest industry there is no Forest Service left to do it.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 04:19:32 PM »

There's a subtle difference between buying our resources and owning our resources. We have control over how much value added processing and job creation goes on in Canada when we're the owners and sellers.

We only have "control" if the end product we produce is more competitively priced than what the global market is selling it for.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 10:40:38 PM »

With the lack of Canadians willing to work for mininmum wage, is it wrong to hire future Canadians an opportunity to work these jobs? I dont think you can really blame a company to want to save money on labour costs. If its a big problem then the government should be the one to have some terms which protects the local lumber workforce.

bcguy

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 12:17:17 AM »

With the lack of Canadians willing to work for mininmum wage, is it wrong to hire future Canadians an opportunity to work these jobs? I dont think you can really blame a company to want to save money on labour costs. If its a big problem then the government should be the one to have some terms which protects the local lumber workforce.

So wrong on so many levels.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 06:41:12 AM »

Rushing to the bottom. No thanks!
http://

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 08:19:11 AM »

They couldn't buy "the soup" on those wages. So it would shut down the fin industry as an aside.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 09:04:56 AM »

--coastal system and private wood has different pricing... in the interior the logging costs are deducted from the stumpage rate...so yes I do blame a company that screws its workers out of wages when in essence we are paying the company the higher wage which should be going to the workers as intended.
--don't get me wrong.. I am not against immigration and allowing people the opportunity to move and work here...I'm not even against contracted workers who come here.. I am against exploitation of these workers.

--I find it ironic that our skilled mine workers and rig workers when they go to other countries get paid premiums... that is higher than they can get paid here... that's part of the reason there is a shortage. If you have to work in a camp then why wouldn't you go to a camp that is safe, reputable and pays a good wage.

--Oh and guess what no matter how much the company screws its workers... we still pay "global economy" prices for the product.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 11:45:39 AM »

So wrong on so many levels.

socially wrong but so right economically. If you work for a company, try convince your boss that he should pay higher wages when he can pay less on labour! This is the responsibility of our government if they wanted to discriminate against people who are actually willing to work a lumber job for lets just say 10 dollars an hour. Its actually a pretty common practice that farms in BC are hiring latin american workers to work their farms because no local would be willing to work a farm job for 10 dollars.

From the perspective of a business owner that wants to be competative in the global market, it's the fault of the locals who aren't willing to work for those dollars. Many of these labour jobs requires "basic" skill since the higher end jobs are not being threatened by immigrants. Personally I have hired local workers to do labour work as well as immigrants, I tend to find the locals more demanding for their pay, when they get their breaks, and just a tad lazy. The immigrants are usually just happy that they even got the job so they put in extra effort. The skill level of the local might be better but with proper coordination the work from an immigrant is equally as good. For example, there is a reason why most dry wall boarders (easy labour work)  are east indian and the finishers (requires some experience and skill) are usually local workers.

They couldn't buy "the soup" on those wages. So it would shut down the fin industry as an aside.

You are right..the labour workers coming from China cannot afford the soup, but a good 10 percent of China (upper class) which equals to around close to 100 million people can afford it. I guess it makes sense that some people are bitter than 10 percent are buying out all the land/resources while the other 90 percent are taking up all the jobs.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 11:54:06 AM by Ed »