Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack R steelhead counts  (Read 14680 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack R steelhead counts
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 12:46:28 PM »

Thanks Rod - I'll leave that fund raising to someone else as honestly, I would prefer there be no hatchery steelhead produced in the C-V ;)

Sidthedog and I completed our final survey of Centennial Channel this morning and counted 19 spawning steelhead; all fish were on redds and seemed a bit smaller than last weeks fish.  Conditions for observations were rather poor with the trees now leafing out and the sun throwing confusing shadows; Sidthedog's antics probably spooked a few fish as well ;D  My guess is I didn't see them all but I did see a lot more coho fry than last week.
Gawd, wish there were more off channel spawning and rearing areas in the upper river like Centennial!  It's a jewel.

ffonly

• the truth is out there...
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 08:27:55 AM »

Hey Rod,

Why not set up a paypal account on your site where people can donate directly to specific programs:
- re-stocking
- restoration
- etc..
Not everyone has the time to get out and directly contribute to management and conservation but everyone has some $$$. "count the pennies and the dollars will come"
There is a tall church across the street from the statue

with crosses, steeples, bells and a vast door that looks like

a huge mousehole, perhaps from a Tom and Jerry cartoon,

and written above the door is "Per L'Universo."

Around five o'clock in the afternoon of my cover for

Trout Fishing in America, people gather in the park across

the street from the church and they are hungry.

It's sandwich time for the poor.

But they cannot cross the street until the signal is given.

Then they all run across the street to the church and get

their sandwiches that are wrapped in newspaper.

anorden

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 11:22:32 AM »

Hey Rod,

Why not set up a paypal account on your site where people can donate directly to specific programs:
- re-stocking
- restoration
- etc..
Not everyone has the time to get out and directly contribute to management and conservation but everyone has some $$$. "count the pennies and the dollars will come"

I couldnt agree more. Whilst we might like to take moral high ground by buying steelie tags and claiming we are paying for their conservation, there is minimal accountability and transparency of where and how this money gets spent. If there was a direct funding account for a specific hatchery we would likely see greater results not influenced by government bureaucracy.
Sometimes hard cash goes further than man hours. To buy more food or heat the water, as we have seen in this C-V case!

buck

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 12:11:20 PM »

Funding for the steelhead program is entirely paid by DFO.  Not one red cent comes from the  Province.  Where does all the money go from our steelhead punch cards?  You would think that a portion could be directed toward these programs.  Pumping cost of well water at start up is about 5 K per month. This 10-11 degree C warm water is required to obtain additional growth on these fish going into the winter months. If the well is not turned on there can be a loss of approximately 10 grams of growth per month.  Releasing under sized smolts does little for the recreational sports angler and is a waste of a valuable resource.  If DFO is not willing to cover the cost of rearing smolts to their target size of 80 grams then brood stock requirements should be reduced. This would effectually reduce the program by 75%.   :(

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »

Good to see you've finally retired Buck ;)  Great information

anorden, maybe this could turn into something good.  Good points

Jack Straw

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »

Great info Dave & Buck....good to hear the May counts were up a bit.

With the hatchery product no longer being raised on warmer well water (thus greatly reducing their survivability & size) it really questions the wisdom behind the removal of up to 40 pairs of wild spawners from the gene pool.

Surely this hatchery programs' days are numbered...the river itself is by far the best & cheapest nursery we have...we must treat her right.
Please support your local wild steelhead

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 02:34:42 PM »

Surely this hatchery programs' days are numbered...the river itself is by far the best & cheapest nursery we have...we must treat her right.
I agree with your sentiments JS and also think this program on the C-V will eventually be curtailed by DFO as a necessary cost cutting measure.  Sadly, as Buck suggested earlier, there doesn't seem to be a lot of people interested enough to force a change as to the way these fish are "managed". 
For anyone with the inclination, use Google Earth to follow the Chilliwack River downstream from Chilliwack Lake.  What screams out from the satellite imagery in this near pristine watershed is the lack of mainstem spawning areas.  Can you say cobble?

Just think if the money spent on this hatchery program was put into off channel habitat restoration in the upper river ....

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 05:45:01 PM »

Dave do you have an opinion on whether or not that the fertilization program is working ?

your report on the hatchery being no longer being sustainable due to lack of funds and the resulting undersized product is very intriguing as looking forward there seems to be no fountain of funds that will ever see the hatchery returned to its glory days.

I do feel that the Vedder could become self sustainable with some quality spawning channels and rearing habitat but the river, is from what I know nutrient low so that is why my initial question on the fertilization program finally becomes relevant.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 06:41:39 PM »

EZ Rolling, you bet I have an opinion on the nutrient enrichment program on the C-V.
It works.
As you state, this system is nutrient deficient.  To compensate, fertilizers are used to take the place of historic salmon carcasses.  The last data I have seen was from 2009 and basically, the juvenile salmonids sampled in the treated areas were larger, in some cases considerably larger, than those sampled in areas with no added nutrients.
IMO, this nutrient enrichment program is the best (and only) thing happening on the C-V today and we as anglers, or maybe just people who care about steelhead, should ensure this program continues. Costs to the Province are negligible as the C-V program is pretty much fully funded by various local environmental groups.

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 10:24:39 AM »

EZ Rolling, you bet I have an opinion on the nutrient enrichment program on the C-V.
It works.
As you state, this system is nutrient deficient.  To compensate, fertilizers are used to take the place of historic salmon carcasses.  The last data I have seen was from 2009 and basically, the juvenile salmonids sampled in the treated areas were larger, in some cases considerably larger, than those sampled in areas with no added nutrients.
IMO, this nutrient enrichment program is the best (and only) thing happening on the C-V today and we as anglers, or maybe just people who care about steelhead, should ensure this program continues. Costs to the Province are negligible as the C-V program is pretty much fully funded by various local environmental groups.

I know that this thread is old(ish), but it brings up some valid points.

I saw that at least one member stated they didn't want hatchery steelhead on the C-V...not asking in a rude manner, just as a seventeen year old...why?  I haven't heard of this before, kind of curious! 

Also, I think it would be beneficial to see exactly how much the steelhead hatchery gets versus how much it needs, and then do the basic math.  Calculate the differential, put that on a bunch of websites and spread the word!  I, for one, do not feel that this is impossible, it would just require some effective and consistent effort from those who are in a position to help.  Maybe this is just my naivety, but this doesn't seem impossible to me, just a lot of work.

John
- John A.

buck

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 05:42:39 PM »

John
There are a few anglers who would like to see production of hatchery fish eliminated. It comes down to how many fish one would like  catch. Wild stocks have not recovered even though they have been closed for retention for 35 years. Habitat destruction along with poor ocean survivals are probably the main culprits and most likely will not improve.

The hatchery receives no funding from the provincial government for the rearing of steelhead. Food cost and the pumping of well water to get juveniles up to size is very costly and is becoming a major concern. Cost cutting is at the top of the agenda these days and is only going to get worse. Production cuts are presently in the works.  :(

As an example,  the Thompson River wild steelhead population continues to decline. At what point do we intervene to try and save this run ? Heaven forbid that a hatchery fish should return to this system. The alternative is to have no returning steelhead.

DB leave the hatchery fish alone.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 06:39:07 PM »

Quote from: buck link=topic=26698.msg257119#msg257119 date=130

DB leave the hatchery fish alone.
[/quote
:D  not likely ;)
John, here's my $.02
 There’s a lot of recent evidence that shows hatchery steelhead programs harm wild steelhead stocks. This is especially true in the US where their early hatchery protocols,  considered good science at the time, were in fact not.  Do a Google search and you’ll find tons of information on this subject.
 That’s not necessarily the case in BC however where for the most part only wild brood fish are used, making returning F1 fish genetically identical to their parents but lacking the ‘diverse survivability aspect’ of living up to 3 years in the river before smolting.  It’s when these fish return and spawn and continue to do so over generations that things go bad. 
 On the Chilliwack about 80 wild fish are used for the hatchery program which costs DFO app 100k annually. The problem, as I see it, is no one knows if the population of these brood fish can withstand this rate of removal, nor do we know how many hatchery fish return as progeny from these 80.   If we don’t know how many wild and hatchery fish are spawning we run the same risks happening in the US. Basically we are depleting an unmeasured gene pool.
Economics and social values are a very important consideration on a river like the C-V; so close to so many people. Much money is spent on so many fronts by anglers on this system. 
 I’m not suggesting we close all steelhead hatcheries -as Chris Gadsden (and now Buck) stated in another post, some systems with extremely low numbers like the Seymour, Norrish, Lynn Creek, etc, etc must have hatchery fish or there would not be any at all.  And I agree a hatchery steelhead is better than no steelhead.  Just saying I’m not sure if the Chilliwack needs or if it’s wild fish can afford it. 
I suggest until we have these data, and/or until more money is put to the Chilliwack River steelhead hatchery program to make it more successful, ie. warmer water and food, matrix spawning, and using other progressive enhancement techniques, this 100k would be better spent on habitat improvements in the upper river.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »

oops! bad C&P job :-[

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 05:00:15 PM »

The bad news ...  >:(recently the Chilliwack River Hatchery released its annual batch of steelhead juveniles.  For the second straight year these juveniles were undersized – indeed I’m told these are the smallest juveniles ever released from this facility.  As a general rule, smaller juveniles means poorer survival and increased residualization.  As I understand the issue, DFO is mandated by the Province to produce 80g juveniles in one year.  This is doable if warmer well water is used to augment the cooler river water and if the fish are fed appropriately.
DFO is under major budget constraints and the steelhead program is suffering for it as again this year, to save money the fish were kept on mainly river water and fed app 60% of there optimum ration.
For those that like this steelhead hatchery program, you should be upset that many of these undersized juveniles will become merganser and heron food.  Future hatchery returns will be considerably smaller.
For those that are against this hatchery program, you should be seriously questioning the rationale of removing up to 80 wild fish from this system every year.

Dave
             -- 62085 hits on Vedder River steelhead info and only 12 hits on steelhead counts and smolt release size. Can you say APATHY. Only when fish returns are poor  will the whining start.

BUMP
Actions speak louder than words.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 07:02:56 PM »

Timely bump Sterling.

Some friends and I were just talking about these issues that Dave and Buck were discussing a few years back and since.

Hopefully the early run so far is not an indication of the enhanced run as a whole. Interestingly most of the fish I have seen so far have been wild, and hatchery fish few and far between.