Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Chilliwack River hatchery marked coho salmon did you retain in fall 2009?

1 - 5
6 - 10
11 - 15
16 - 20
21 - 25
26 - 30
31+

Author Topic: 2009 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 107820 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

just a question about tommorrow with alll the rain will water clarity be better up in the allison pool area compared to the canal
It could be better but for biting fish it will be tough going.

koko

Checked it at dark and very dirty and very heavy rain. River on the climb too so it will be tough fishing tomorrow if you are a bait or blade angler. :-X
Thanks for the update.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Just took a look at the Vedder in the Lower, better than I thought it would be today, around 1. 5 feet. Tomorrow or even this afternoon could be prime if there is any fish around. :-\

nickredway

• Old Timer

Had a fish for a couple of hours late afternoon. Not much going on. Hooked up with a boot spring and a small coho briefy. Did see some Coho moving past me up from the crossing. Lots of chum around. Got some bad roe from the garage in Yarrow. Does anyone know if there's anywhere to pick some decent stuff up first thing? What's the On The Way stuff like?
Cheers,
N

nickredway

• Old Timer

ive stayed at the river inn and its nice im sure the miss will like it mine did, but it is a little bit of a hike to the rive a couple kms
Thanks - We got a good deal on Joy's Vacation Cottage. Would recommend it if there's a couple or more of you coming up for the night. www.joysvacationcottage.com

nickredway

• Old Timer

Sorry, another question  ::) - if I wanted to hike up from Tamhai bridge to the hatchery would it be better to cross the bridge or stay on the North Bank?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Sorry, another question  ::) - if I wanted to hike up from Tamhai bridge to the hatchery would it be better to cross the bridge or stay on the North Bank?
A long hike both ways and the road side would be the best as you can use the roadway when you get tired.

nickredway

• Old Timer

Thanks Chris.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Condition were good today in the Lower, water wise. Went out for a bit and into 7 chum, so gave up in the hope of a coho salmon and went and found some floats and had breakfast. Saw some coho flossed in at Hoogies.

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard

got 1 hatch doe around noon on a blade lower river. I also hooked into a nice looking spring for this time of year

fishbuster

Chris,

Are you getting those chum short floating roe?  And are many of them very clean looking?  I'm wanting to do a couple in the smoker this fall.

Thanks 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Chris,

Are you getting those chum short floating roe?  And are many of them very clean looking?  I'm wanting to do a couple in the smoker this fall.

Thanks 
Yes, pro cured roe and a little bit of wool. Fishing 3.5 to 4 feet of water with 14 inches of leader and 16 to 18 inches from swivel to the float

The chum salmon I landed were not as fresh as ones I caught earlier in the season but some will be fine for smoking. Remember F/N preferred them for smoking, so I have been told. You get out there I am sure you can pickup a suitable fish. Reminder to all only one per day on the Chiliwack Vedder system. Also if you have a boat the Harrison near the mouth where it meets the Fraser can yield some very clean ones.

They say fishing a jig under a float works well. Any tackle shops will give advice re the best color or someone here as I have not tried them but have caught them on a spoon there. Good luck.

I think I am giving up on the Vedder for coho as my season has been a duster fish wise but have had some great days fishing with people from this forum.

Time to hunt now and also try to capture some video footage of a Thompson River steelhead.

As well getting rain here in Chilliwack again so the river could go out soon. :-\

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Checked a coho indicator area, (T. Rapids) on the Chilliwack near dark and they had more coho on the beach than when I checked the area on two previous times last week. Some were bright and some colored. I donot know how they got by the spots I was fishing below them last week. :-X

Heavy rain now so  the water that was fishable at dark may go out by the AM.

bateman

• paintings of fish and nature

there was good visability in water on sunday, about two feet. although heavy rains last night might have changed that.
paintings of fish and nature:
http://www.folkart-levin.com

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Checked it for you all at 4 and running high and muddy. People still out there!!! Saw a fellow floss a bright coho. :-X

The good part for the visit was find a drennan in a log jam, it was the only float there but at $6..99 plus tax a nice find. ;D

No name or phone # on it so its mine. ;D ;D