Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Chilliwack River hatchery marked coho salmon did you retain in fall 2009?

1 - 5
6 - 10
11 - 15
16 - 20
21 - 25
26 - 30
31+

Author Topic: 2009 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 107949 times)

aquaholic

Upper is currently brown lower around 2 or 3 ft vis with heavy rain

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Upper is currently brown lower around 2 or 3 ft vis with heavy rain
Looks like a wash out tomorrow. It will be interesting for those trying to wade out to the islands that will be now covered in the Canal area. I should have got to more gravel bars this week to get the garbage left behind. :(

Robert_G

Looks like we got a nice cell over us right now. Coming down good and hard. Let's hope it continues. I'm tired of smelling stinky pinkies rotting on the banks.

Robert_G

Looks like the weather forcasters were wrong again, but at least this time it was the other way.
Instead of the 10-20mm they forcasted overnight, we have received at least 50mm. The river has come way up.

Edit: Just went out for a look (live less then 3 minutes from the river)
River is not as high as I expected. The island under the Vedder Bridge is still quite above the water level.
The water is brown and it looks as if it is still rising.
It's quite funny watchin people cast their floats beside the logs floating down beside them.
There is barely a faint smell of rotting salmon, but it is that time of year. Overall, the air is quite fresh again.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 08:40:54 AM by Robert_G »

Frankey

The river is running high and dirty.The rain continues to pound down here.Lets hope the river doesn't flood out and damage the redds.For you fellas thinking about coming out, save your gas...

Rybar

Sorry I cannot find it using the search. But can somebody post the DFO phone # for the Chilliwack/Vedder area please?

Robert_G

Had to do some errands this morning so I took a quick drive by at 11:30AM
It's gone up about another 12 inches at Vedder Bridge since 8AM.
The island under the bridge will be under water if it goes up another 10 inches.

I can't believe the crowd of people fishing the clean water coming out of Sweltzer Creek.
There were even guys flyfishing.
The nasty old pinks are loaded up in there and you can see the guys long leadering them. Their rods are a continueous up and down motion.
I guess if there are pinks somewhere to be snagged, the snaggers will find them.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

no mo stink pink. Robert, whats the visability like? We can finally have good fishing throughout the entire stretch of river!
The Bigger The Better!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Keep the discussion on water condition please. We don't need another thread being degerated by those who have nothing to contribute except the same constant whine about flossing and so on. You post it, we'll delete it. It's as simple as that. If we get tired of deleting many of your posts, your account will be removed, again.

Robert_G

Hey Rod, was that directed at me? I've never had my account removed before.
Anyways.....Vedder Crossing is now up 3 1/2 feet from yesterday.
It's completely blown out top to bottom. Chocolate milk comin down.
Monday will be the earliest the river will even be fishable....and that depends if we get any more rain or not.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Robert, that wasn't directed at you. Thanks for providing the updates.

Whitedevil

Thanks for the update n don't hv to drive from Richmond.  Good luck!

BNF861

• Old Timer

Definately wet out there, thats for sure. I checked on the river last night on my way home. Was up a little, water was colored but still very fishable. What a difference by morning. Very high in comparison to yesterday and pretty much no visibility. Not good for fishing today, but much needed to bring fresh fish into the river and flush the dead pinks out. I almost didnt mind the blowout as it gave me a chance to do a lot of walking and exploring new water. Found some different spots to give a chance once the clarity comes around. Did see a wild coho caught and released (not snagged either) in about a foot and a half of water in an area where people were walking across to get to "their" spot. Definately shows fish can still be found in conditions like the current. I was all alone in a spot today scouting/fishing and saw two chinook and six coho, travelling up the river less than two feet from shore. Could have reached down and pulled a couple out they were that close. I couldn't entice any to bite but am looking forward to a little clarity hopefully while the river still runs high.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

How is the visibility? of the river I heard it was a chocolate brown color in the cannal this morning.  If the rain subsides do you think it will be fishable on Monday?
We have had the heaviest rain I have seen in a long time with thunder and lightning. Also gauge at Vedder Crossing is up over a meter now. No use fishing for a few days of dry weather as the water will be way too dirty for a fish to see your offering.

CohoMan

• Old Timer

Muddy lower Vedder River.

Another picture.

Beautiful Chehalis.