Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fisheries Minister in town to Sign deal to allow Gravel Removal on the Fraser  (Read 2877 times)

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'

My DFO inside source tipped me off last night the the Fisheries Minister will be in Abbostford tomorrow AM (Monday), to sign a deal to allow gravel removal (1Km stretches at a time) on the Fraser. Apparently, the pressure to prevent future flooding has lead to this idea, even though a hydrological study has shown that gravel removal will  a) damage salmon spawning habitat, b) not solve flooding in the areas  c) cuase alternate flow patterns down stream that may lead to dyke depletion and future down stream flooding.

In essence, it appears the minister is bowing to pressure to solve the flooding problem, but is really opening up the future potential for mining the Fraser for gravel.

If anyone knows where this meeting is taking place. let me know...I think some people should attend.

Vince
You don't make friends with salad.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!

I heard on the drive to Kelowna that the extracted gravel in THE best place to hunt agates, can anyone tell me where they put it?

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'

This is going to be on going...its a 5 year plan. And each dredge is going to be over 1 km long!

A lot of it is good salmon spawning ground too.....not a good scene

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'

my dfo guy told me whereever it was....it was in some decent spawning chanels....I will enquire.

funruh

• feeeesh

is this dredging below the overpass? :-\ do they leave the gravel in the river or extract it totally?
the reconstruction from last year is totally gone so what good is it.(canal)

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions

The spawning grounds affected will manly affect Pinks and other "local" species.

No river rock in my flower beds.