Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Favourite Fly Vise ?  (Read 5197 times)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Favourite Fly Vise ?
« on: May 06, 2014, 05:22:06 PM »

Hello all.
Haven't posted in a while, been moving around the country and finally settled down for a bit, sadly not near many fly-fishing waters...So have decided to take up fly-tying again, sadly I do not own a vise any more...

Just wondering what people are tying with, and their thoughts ? I've looked at everything from $80 to $500, and can't drop $500 on a vise, aiming more for middle of the road. I'm looking to tie everything from buggers to intruders to have enough to get me through the salmon season (back to the coast in September).

I've been posted to Winnipeg and the fly fishing services here are limited to say the least...
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

fisherforever

Re: Favourite Fly Vise ?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 07:18:45 PM »

I use 3, from cheap to expensive. A cheap Regal knock off for jigs, a genuine Regal for regular tying and a Norvice for production. One of the knock offs will get you started with minimum cash out lay. I've had mine for years

whereismyfloat

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 08:47:01 PM »

peak rotary.
love it.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 09:46:48 PM »

Renzetti traveller

fishgod

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 10:20:21 PM »

I have been tying on a regal for about 15 years - really hard to beat the hook holding abilities, probably it's best feature.  I changed over to a true rotary - an Atlas Anvil about 6 months ago and initially wasn't blown away by it - but it has grown on me and appears to be bullet proof.  Beside good for tubes  ( intruders ) with right attachments and won't break the bank.  Worth a look IMO .
Always pray to the fishgods everyday.

iCemAn

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 06:57:59 PM »

Renzetti traveller

2nd that. I use one with the pedestal base.
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

TacoChris

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 09:05:29 PM »

I have used a Regal for 17 years. As fishgod stated it can not be beat for holding a hook and it is very easy and quick to load. I love it but would consider a different vise if you feel you would value a rotary feature.  I would stay away from budget vises.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 09:12:24 PM »

Most often I use my Nore-vise because it is set up on my fly tying table. I do like the spinning rotary option. But, when I travel I have a Regal vise, but not one of the rotating ones.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 10:17:31 AM »

Hey Ian.Off topic I know but just got back after two weeks at our place on Adams Lake.Desperate for a haircut.Went to Friends here in Langley for my last cut on the Lower Mainland.My friend Vicky was talking fishing and your name came up.Shame I will be at Adams and miss your appearance there.See you at some of the other Rivers sometime.
Riverman

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 11:11:28 AM »

peak rotary.
love it.

I was recently looking to upgrade my vise and wanted a rotary with a pedestal base and for under $200. I picked up a Peak and added the optional D arm, brass riser and material clip and really like it. There are fancier vise's out there, but the Peak is very well made in the USA and should last me for many, many years and in my opinion is a great bang for the buck.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 11:34:26 PM »

Hey Ian.Off topic I know but just got back after two weeks at our place on Adams Lake.Desperate for a haircut.Went to Friends here in Langley for my last cut on the Lower Mainland.My friend Vicky was talking fishing and your name came up.Shame I will be at Adams and miss your appearance there.See you at some of the other Rivers sometime.

That is the problem with someone who spends his winters some place nice and warm with friendly company.

I've used a friend's rotary Danvise and I was impressed with price and quality. I think it sells for around $100.

Ryanx

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 02:57:42 PM »

I've used a regal for about a decade and have no complaints.
 I recently picked up an anvil apex for traveling and it seems pretty solid.
Comes with a pedestal and c-clamp, good deal for just over $100

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 09:19:30 AM »

Griffin Odyssey Spider.  Around 100 and is full rotary.  I prefer it over my dads renzetti traveller.

Daguru

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 10:06:18 PM »

The regal or even the knockoffs are pretty good. Never had a problem with either