Fishing in British Columbia > General Discussion

Steelhead fishing strategy

(1/10) > >>

canucksfan233:
Over 125+ hours of fishing for this stupid fish over the last 3 years and have yet to still get a bite... (clearly doing something wrong)

Curious if you have ever fished the same spot twice in a day, once in the morning and evening if you have seen a steelhead caught there previously?

What's the average time you spend fishing an area? Couple of casts through an area or work it thoroughly?

Worth fishing 2 different baits through the same area? Or just best to move on after you've fished through it?

Fish Assassin:
Key is mobility. Don't stay in one spot all day. Make a few cast and move.

Wiseguy:

--- Quote from: canucksfan233 on March 15, 2024, 06:22:40 PM ---

Curious if you have ever fished the same spot twice in a day, once in the morning and evening if you have seen a steelhead caught there previously?

--- End quote ---
Yes. Fishing a productive run twice a day is a good strategy. Steelhead will bite at anytime during the day. Timing is everything. Being at the right spot at the right time. The more times you visit a productive run the better your chances of a float down.

Wiseguy:

--- Quote from: canucksfan233 on March 15, 2024, 06:22:40 PM ---

Worth fishing 2 different baits through the same area? Or just best to move on after you've fished through it?

--- End quote ---
Yes, if you know there are fish in the run. How do you know if there is fish in the run? Seeing them roll on the surface or you get a float down. I have on occasion caught fish after changing lures in a run when the first thing I tried didn’t get any float downs.

iblly:
I completely agree with moving. Few casts in each spot and I’m on the move. I’m looking for three types of fish. Mr Angry, Mr Hungry and Mr Stupid. Only ever fish with three things. Pink wool with a Jensen egg. Bait or a blade. I will try the same spots later in the day sometimes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version