Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting things in amberside park September 23  (Read 1560 times)

bruce

Interesting things in amberside park September 23
« on: September 23, 2005, 11:14:06 PM »

today I went to amberside for some tommy cod, after 1 hour fish I got a sole and a crab, then I went back to the boat launch deck, three people was smelting with their net, I watched for a while, the water was clear, suddenly I saw three salmons hit their net, the owner of the net dragged the net to the deck, they landed one coho, the other two were gone, now there are another man, I don't know if they knew each other, this guy took his cell phone, from his talk, he seemed to be talking with DFO on the phone, he described the situation, then he hang up and spoke to all people who were watching the three guy : they got the salmon by accident so they can  keep it. Actually the guy already put the coho into his container.

I am confused, do we really can keep the salmon caught by net ?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 12:18:50 PM by Rodney »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Interesting things in amberside park friday
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 11:19:14 PM »

I believe you can. It was an incidental catch. I caught a coho in my smelt net off Spanish Banks a few years ago. How was the smelting ?

meca_357

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 11:20:03 PM »

no... no salmon caught by net is a keeper... that fish should of swam away along with its two buddies :-\.. dunno what the regs say on that subject but at least in my opinion

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 04:17:39 AM »

The reg did not mention about bycatch, wonder why ???

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Interesting things in amberside park September 23
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 12:19:07 PM »

It is illegal to use a net of any kind while fishing for finfish, except:

a) a dip net may be used when fishing for herring, eulachon, northern anchovy, Pacific sand lance, smelt or sardines;

b) a dip net may be used when landing a fish caught by angling;

c) one gillnet or set net may be used when fishing for eulachon or smelts, provided the mesh size is greater than 25 mm but less than 50 mm, and the length is less than 7.5 m; a floating buoy clearly marked with the name of the owner must be attached to each end of the net;

d) a cast net is permitted when fishing for herring, northern anchovy or Pacific sand lance.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 12:58:36 PM »

I know that in the chuck you can keep salmon on a triple hook if they are open and if you are tagetting a species like lings or halibut.

Aren't you alowed to fish with a treble-hook anyway for salmon ? (given all the barbs are pinched) I was under the ipression you could do it unless you were in the tidle portion of a river (ie. Fraser). Although I believe that the North Shore has a regulation banning treble-hooks for a certain part of the year, giving me the idea that you are in fact allowed to troll treble-hooks in other locations for salmon (given that the barbs are pinched).
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 01:42:37 PM »

Barbless trebles are permitted and barbed hooks can be used to target groundfish unless specific area regs say so.  Its all in the guide.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 07:50:15 PM »

ALL anglers fishing the north shore should consult the guide.

There are many RELEVANT special regulations that apply in that area, one is hook size, two is what hook type.

As for the DUDE with the net, he SHOULD HAVE RELEASED THAT FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint