Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: gill netters atound the pattullo bridge  (Read 5565 times)

dogfish2

• `
gill netters atound the pattullo bridge
« on: August 21, 2004, 11:49:18 AM »

if the sockeye counts are so low as to close the sporties down why are the gillnetters fishing around the pattullo bridge?(counted at least 6

gman

Re:gill netters atound the pattullo bridge
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 12:22:25 PM »

Just went for a jog along the South Dike in Richmond. There were 7 boats nettting in the South Arm of the river betwen #2 and #3 roads (1 mile) at about 11:30am. On my way back about 12:00 some were on the way into Steveston Harbour. I also saw a Conservation Officer in her truck at the foot of #3 road. Had a  brief chat with her and she confirmed that  this was a scheduled native opening. When I mentioned the protest today she said "that why we're out". Also saw a low flying plane go over the river. Never seen so much attention paid to a river opening before.

Lots of ship traffic with horns blasting as they had trouble getting by the nets in the misty rainy conditions. Pretty obvious that it would be nearly impossible for any fish to make it through that gauntlet of nets.  >:(

I have to question how they can allow such an opening at the same time as they cite conservation concerns for the sockeye.  :(

Bantam_50

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 10:32:50 PM »

Hmmm that's odd...no FN fishery listed here.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/PDFs/CommunalOpeningTimes.pdf

Shows the Kwantlen/Katzie drift net today. Again DFO not supllying all info. So question is...was it a legit opening or what?  ???

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 11:42:59 PM »

it doesn't matter
the dfo have no teeth when it comes to native fisheries
and both the natives and the dfo know it
the natives now openly thumb their noses in the face of the dfo

it is getting worse every year and our bleeding heart  courts always side with the poor misunderstood aboriginal

sadly the situation does not appear to be changing any time soon

i think i'll continue to vote liberal for good government and sponsorship

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 11:58:35 PM »

This is what the protest was partly about today.

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 06:12:57 AM »

i know chris
that is the reason my wife and i attended the protest

gman

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 08:37:44 AM »

Yeah, I searched the web after I saw the boats to see what sort of opening it was but found no evidence of any opening. There was LOTS of boats out, so I suspect a native commercial opening rather than the food and ceremonial type. The DFO officer watching did confirm it was a legal opening though.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2004, 08:57:20 AM »

i know chris
that is the reason my wife and i attended the protest
Thanks very much for attending.

Bantam_50

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 05:12:43 PM »

Yeah, I searched the web after I saw the boats to see what sort of opening it was but found no evidence of any opening. There was LOTS of boats out, so I suspect a native commercial opening rather than the food and ceremonial type. The DFO officer watching did confirm it was a legal opening though.

If he confirmed it was legal, then I believe Chris, we have another complaint to add to the growing list of failures by FOC. All communal FN/commercial and recreational fisheriers should be available to oneself for reference on DFO's site. This way a person can inform themself about when they should be seeing nets in the river. I've checked and rechecked, but can't find any FN (Musqueam/Twsawasen? commercial fishery noted for that day.

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004, 05:19:01 PM »

I was down fishing at port mann this afternoon and we seen a few fn netting :Pwe seen the RCMP going by so we yelled at them about the netters they said they where fishing yesterday,I dont think they really care but there was three of them in the boat..