Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Frontiersman canoe  (Read 15882 times)

funpig

Frontiersman canoe
« on: August 29, 2009, 09:51:18 AM »

I just bought a used 16 foot fiberglass canoe.  It has a square stern where you can mount a motor.  I bought it for paddling, but may use it for some lake fishing.  Does anybody here have any experience fishing out of a canoe?  What is a good size for a(n electctric) motor?

poncho

Re: Frontiersman canoe
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 10:49:17 AM »

Whenever I go up to Manning park with the family, we usually rent a canoe for fishing. We have a great time. Sturdy and stable enough to fish out of, even with a 120lb rottweiler in it. He does get spooked by the fish though. I have no idea about the motor though.

Trophy Fisher

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 03:08:20 PM »

I have a 36lb thrust Minn and it is able to push my 14' aluminum all day and in top speed it can get up and move me at a good clip. I would suggest a 30lb or 36lb thrust  and would not go any more powerful.

funpig

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 02:25:53 PM »

Thanks, thought a 36 lb one should be good enough.  Can an electric motor be used in salt water?  Doubt I would do so, but curious if they can take salt water or will it corrode badly.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 02:53:58 PM »

Thanks, thought a 36 lb one should be good enough.  Can an electric motor be used in salt water?  Doubt I would do so, but curious if they can take salt water or will it corrode badly.

They have salt water models. Minn Kota sells a salt water model called the Riptide which is a salt water electric motor.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 02:54:09 PM »

I have fished out of canoes for about 30 years, I wouldn't bother with a motor of any type.  The beauty of having a canoe is it's simplicity....all you need is the canoe and a paddle.  Weighing it down with a 12v battery and lugging that around , plus having an electric to carry, is a drag....plus, you can go plenty fast with a paddle.  I've used an electric motor in a punt before and it was more trouble lugging it around than it was worth....and if the wind picks up, to me, you are always better off with a paddle.... not to mention the less time you spend with a motor the better your paddling skills will be.  It's easy enough to get a rod holder mounted so hands free trolling is a snap.

But, thats just me.  Regardless of what you end up going with, have fun :)

captainzippy

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 06:59:37 PM »

I have fished out of canoes for about 30 years, I wouldn't bother with a motor of any type.  The beauty of having a canoe is it's simplicity....all you need is the canoe and a paddle.  Weighing it down with a 12v battery and lugging that around , plus having an electric to carry, is a drag....plus, you can go plenty fast with a paddle.  I've used an electric motor in a punt before and it was more trouble lugging it around than it was worth....and if the wind picks up, to me, you are always better off with a paddle.... not to mention the less time you spend with a motor the better your paddling skills will be.  It's easy enough to get a rod holder mounted so hands free trolling is a snap.

plus you get the natural action on your lure by paddling
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:45:43 PM by DragonSpeed »

funpig

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 11:22:28 PM »

Thanks for info/advice.  I've done a lot of paddling and even used to coach dragonboats when I was younger.  I enjoy paddling, but I'm just checking out my options/possibilities with this canoe.  I live out in Delta and have been paddling in Deas Slough.  I am a bit wary about going out into the Fraser with it with the tide/current and barge wake (Anybody tried it in a canoe?). 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:25:59 PM by funpig »

colin6101

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 12:29:09 AM »

I was just out in the canoe around duncan bar on the Fraser on saturday. No issues with the tide or wake, but definitely make sure that you are careful as there are lots of boats on the water this time of year and you can be hit with waves from a lot of different angles at once. On the fishing side of things we didn't catch any salmon but did manage a couple smaller sturgeon when we beached ourselves off cresent island.

CYR

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 08:19:18 AM »

I had fished out of a Clipper square end for years, if you plan to use an electric motor and fish alone, get some extension wire and put the battery way up in front to balance the canoe. It helps the canoe track much better particularly in windy days.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 09:59:24 AM »

Yeah, options are always good!

I just wish they made a lighter 12v marine battery :D

CYR

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 11:38:05 AM »

marmot:

I use a half size seal battery from those little power cart for seniors, those battery only weight about 20lb, last me all day with no issues.

Ted

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 11:57:02 AM »

hmm interesting.  Now to go to Oakridge mall with some "magic beans"!

man...gonna burn for that one :)