Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lethal virus from European salmon found in wild BC salmon  (Read 245127 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Lethal virus from European salmon found in wild BC salmon
« Reply #645 on: January 16, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »

I understand that you will disagree with any research or science that doesn't support the purity of feedlot fish farming.

I'd respond in detail but this topic should remain on ISAV. Maybe I should start a topic related to the sustainability of fish farming and we can discuss it there.  ???
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #646 on: January 16, 2012, 08:06:11 PM »

What you think about their motivation is considerably less important than what actions were taken. Your speculations on motive have a single purpose, and that purpose has nothing to do with fish.

You suggested that we do not need to be worried about the fish farms because their "best practice" already minimizes their impact on wild fish, and I asked, if that is true, why did the government have to issue an Order to get them to fallow during out migrations of wild salmon?  Just answer the question.

Perhaps you should take this up with the DFO then. There is a difference between contributing to, as I have suggested, and being responsible for, as you suggest. The DFO suggested there that farms were probably not responsible but don't suggest that they didn't contribute. Once again, there are many contributing factors to the situation. Arbitrarily ignoring all but the one you are arguing against makes for good rhetoric but poor problem solving.

No, it sounds quite clearly that they are absolving the farms of even contributing to higher lice populations.  I was just wondering aloud.

Again, arbitrarily eliminating those pesky details such as pathogen survival time in the absence of a host, degree and duration of exposure and immune response makes for good rhetoric but it also makes for a poor representation of actual circumstances and actual outcomes.

So a wild salmon can get close enough long enough to the pens to pass pathogens to the farmed fish but other wild salmon cannot get close enough long enough to have the same pathogen passed back once it has grown and multiplied in the confines of the farm?  Seems strange. I wonder if anyone has done a scientific study to prove that?

The diseases that break out on salmon farms are caused by pathogens already in the environment. Farm salmon come from hatcheries and the fish are not exposed to the pathogens until they hit the chuck. A disease outbreaks results from the density induced stress compromised immune response and the extended exposure of infected hosts in extremely close proximity of a large number of potentially susceptible hosts. Should a wild fish come close enough to be exposed to live pathogens, it's own immune response will kick in, and because the fish lives in the same environment as the pathogen, it likely has had previous exposure and consequently has a preprogrammed response that will operate unimpeded by the stress levels that compromised the farm fish immune response. Should that response not be sufficient, it is possible that the fish become clinically infected but because the fish doesn't exist in the close proximity to the large numbers of other fish found in farm pens, the likelihood of infecting other fish is much lower and the chances of an epizootic are extremely low.

Another important factor is the differences in disease susceptibility between the penned fish and the wild stocks. An outbreak is more likely to occur in a species susceptible to a particular pathogen but will have little effect on another species that is resistant to that pathogen. Atlantics and Pacifics have different vulnerabilities; the outbreaks in the penned Atlantics often do not pose any risks to Pacifics because of that fact.

I understand that under normal conditions, that wild fish might have a strong enough immune system to combat the infection, but in the scenario I proposed, the wild fish would be returning to a nearby stream to spawn where its own immune system would be undermined by the stress of spawning and it would be in close proximity to large numbers of other fish so the likelihood of spreading the infection would indeed be high.  This happens all the time already from those "natural" pathogens.  However, this pathogen would also not be the same one it was exposed to in the wild as the bacteria have be exposed to antibacterials and so the wild fish is infected with the biggest and baddest of the bacteria that did not get killed off by the antibiotics.  The wild fishes immune system is going to have a harder time combating that infection so the risk of infection is indeed there.  This really does not seem as far fetched as you imply.

There isn't a whole lot of point in citing statements with a reference to author and date unless you also provide some means of identifying the paper you are citing. The reason that supporting documents are cited is not to make a presentation look as if it is very scientific, rather it gives the reader a chance to examine the source document and determine relevance, adherence to context, methodology and accuracy.

I thought "the world doesn't owe you anything."  A simple search on Google of the reference citation would have turned up this paper: Pål Arne Bjørn, Rolf Sivertsgård, Bengt Finstad, Rune Nilsen, Rosa Maria Serra-Llinares, and Roar Kristoffersen, "Area protection may reduce salmon louse infection risk to wild salmonids," AQUACULTURE ENVIRONMENT INTERACTIONS, Vol. 1, May 30, 2011, pp. 233–244, 2011.  Stop being hypocritical.  This is a blog anyway and is not supposed to be a peer reviewed article.  If I need to provide a bibliography every time I post then so do you.  No wonder why no one else bothers to post.

I haven't claimed anything like what you attribute to me. What I have said is that there is no direct evidence that farms are causing the declines of the wild stocks, that operating with best practices is in the financial interests of the farms and that farms respond to problems as they are identified in a manner that will best mitigate the problem.

Thank you, that was what I wanted five or six posts ago.  It is clear that we are arguing cross purposes then, as I am not arguing that they are the cause for the decline, but are a contributing factor, putting additional stresses on the environment and the fish that live in it.  We can stop arguing now.

The history of the industry in the province has shown that it does not cause the catastrophic damage the reactionaries accuse it of.

No, the history does not show that, the history shows that is causing damage and that the damage is being "managed."  The "catastrophic" damage has not yet been proven conclusively, but then there has not been nearly enough research into the effects of farms here (most of the research of the effects of open pens on the environment and the wild fish has been done in other parts of the world, and as you point out, the conditions here are different enough that studies need to be done here to be really helpful), and the research that has been done here is being called into question instead of being corroborated.  You just keep your fingers crossed for both of us.

It is clear that the industry already supplies substantial benefits; expansion may occur but it will be controlled and regulated and monitored, and it will supply more benefits. You're welcome to disagree with the idea that the costs are greater than the benefits that are obtained, but to be convincing, you need to demonstrate that with facts.

I have done so.  Your criticism is over my inclusion of arguments that point to potential dangers that have not yet materialized, and until they do, the "reactionaries" will not have those "facts" (in the form of documented scientific evidence), unfortunately by the time they have that evidence, many fear it will be too late anyway.  I am still waiting to see those scientific studies that show that farmed Atlantic salmon cannot pass pathogens to wild Pacific salmon.  Surely, if I need to provide proof it can happen, then you need to prove that it cannot.  Simply pointing to the fact that no disease has been found yet in the wild fish surveyed, is not proof, especially when it has been found, but all the energy is directed toward showing that it really had not been found at all.

If you want to do something constructive for the wild stocks, you should be supporting the elimination of the commercial salmon fishery.

You would like that wouldn't you?  Eliminate the only other source of salmon so the farmers can say "Now you do NEED us!"  I have been interested in Commercial fishery reform since the 90s when I wrote an undergraduate paper on the state of the commercial fishery following the Cruikshank Report.  I never said I supported salmon ranching any more than salmon farming.  The salmon ranching just uses a larger pen (the entire ocean) and relies on nature to  raise the fish to harvest once it reaches a suitable size.  The issues are different, but no less troubling than the open pen farms. As a sport fisher I am also intimately aware of my own impact on the salmon and have been involved in various reform initiatives of the sport sector such as quota reductions (eg: annual limit of 20 coho, and lower daily limits of various species), and do not get me started on hatchery programs.  Neither of these, however, are the topic here, which is possibility of the spread of disease to wild fish from open net pens (and I do apologize to AF for hijacking the topic). You guys may get back to it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 08:20:44 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #647 on: January 16, 2012, 08:26:03 PM »

Your contributions are appreciated Sandman.

As you've said in all sorts of different ways, open net farms are a disaster waiting to happen. Waiting till it happens, as the fish farm proponents suggest, could be too late for our wild salmon!

Thanks for posting!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #648 on: January 16, 2012, 08:28:18 PM »

Foir those that donot have this link and want something to read on a snowy day.

http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/

Interesting that Dr. David Welch as modified his earlier report and now indicates that"

Quote from: Dr David Welch, Cohen Commission Submission December 15, 2011
the primary reason for this submission is to report an important addition to our understanding of where sockeye smolt mortality occurs. In prior testimony at the Commission I reported that most mortality occurred after passing the northern end of Vancouver Island. This statement remains correct. However, we have since re-analyzed our previously collected data to directly compare survival rates of acoustically tagged sockeye smolts migrating in the Strait of Georgia and then in Discovery Passage/Queen Charlotte Strait...This is a very important finding that clarifies and extends my earlier testimony:

1) The results continue to contradict the theory that 2007 sockeye smolts died in the Strait of Georgia, before reaching the area with fish farms; in 2007 smolt survival was substantially lower in the northern area.

2) The lower survival rate the northern area (currently estimated at roughly 2/3rds of the Strait of Georgia survival rate when averaged across all years) would have profound effects on marine survival if prolonged; after 5 weeks smolts would be reduced to only ~1/10th the number that would survive in the Strait of Georgia.

3) This level of higher mortality would be sufficient to fully explain the 10-fold decline in Fraser sockeye survival seen since 1990.

4) We caution that this new result remains a correlation, not proof that the fish farms present in the northern area caused the reduced survival, because the two regions probably differ in other ways (more abundant predators are likely present in the northern region, for example).

Another correlation for absolon to chew on.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #649 on: January 16, 2012, 10:45:05 PM »

You suggested that we do not need to be worried about the fish farms because their "best practice" already minimizes their impact on wild fish, and I asked, if that is true, why did the government have to issue an Order to get them to fallow during out migrations of wild salmon?  Just answer the question.

I have also said that farms respond as required when new circumstances become apparent. Best practices is not a static concept. The "already" bit
must be more of that frequently applied poetic license.

So a wild salmon can get close enough long enough to the pens to pass pathogens to the farmed fish but other wild salmon cannot get close enough long enough to have the same pathogen passed back once it has grown and multiplied in the confines of the farm?  Seems strange. I wonder if anyone has done a scientific study to prove that?

Apparently you didn't understand me the first time; that isn't what I suggested. More poetic license? I suggested that there were a number of other factors beyond proximity that have large effect on the outcome and named just a few as examples. I understand that you prefer simple yes/no interpretations but they aren't appropriate for complex subjects.

I understand that under normal conditions, that wild fish might have a strong enough immune system to combat the infection, but in the scenario I proposed, the wild fish would be returning to a nearby stream to spawn where its own immune system would be undermined by the stress of spawning and it would be in close proximity to large numbers of other fish so the likelihood of spreading the infection would indeed be high.  This happens all the time already from those "natural" pathogens.  However, this pathogen would also not be the same one it was exposed to in the wild as the bacteria have be exposed to antibacterials and so the wild fish is infected with the biggest and baddest of the bacteria that did not get killed off by the antibiotics.  The wild fishes immune system is going to have a harder time combating that infection so the risk of infection is indeed there.  This really does not seem as far fetched as you imply.

As usual, you're leaving out the details. Don't forget, bacteria resistant to antibiotics are found in the substrate, not the water column. Fish are found in the water column, not the substrate. The mutation to resistance doesn't change the genetic signature so the bacteria is still recognized by the immune system. The change in the genetic code causing resistance to antibiotics confers resistance to antibiotics, not superpowers. Some fish may indeed arrive on the spawning ground with some level of infection, but the gametes are formed and can still be deposited. Then the fish dies and rots or washes back down the river. In the spring, a new crop of alevins hatch ready for development and exposure to pathogens in order to develop an immune response and memory. Sure it can happen, but the consequences aren't nearly as dire as you insist they are.

I thought "the world doesn't owe you anything."  A simple search on Google of the reference citation would have turned up this paper: Pål Arne Bjørn, Rolf Sivertsgård, Bengt Finstad, Rune Nilsen, Rosa Maria Serra-Llinares, and Roar Kristoffersen, "Area protection may reduce salmon louse infection risk to wild salmonids," AQUACULTURE ENVIRONMENT INTERACTIONS, Vol. 1, May 30, 2011, pp. 233–244, 2011.  Stop being hypocritical.  This is a blog anyway and is not supposed to be a peer reviewed article.  If I need to provide a bibliography every time I post then so do you.  No wonder why no one else bothers to post.

I'm not asking you to do my work. I'm asking you to do yours. A simple search on either of your cosmetic citations yields a substantial list of papers that match the search term. One only needs to have the basic courtesy to do the minimum and provide the title to enable a successful search, though most people understand that providing a link is very little additional work since they are already looking at it. Given that this is only a discussion forum and you feel it is a waste of time to provide access information to papers you cite, I have to ask why, if not for strictly cosmetic reasons, you bothered to twice list author and date associated with what you quote in that post in the first place.

No, the history does not show that, the history shows that is causing damage and that the damage is being "managed."  The "catastrophic" damage has not yet been proven conclusively, but then there has not been nearly enough research into the effects of farms here (most of the research of the effects of open pens on the environment and the wild fish has been done in other parts of the world, and as you point out, the conditions here are different enough that studies need to be done here to be really helpful), and the research that has been done here is being called into question instead of being corroborated.  You just keep your fingers crossed for both of us.

The history of the industry in the province has shown that it does not cause the catastrophic damage the reactionaries accuse it of. Like every single human activity, the industry has impacts and those are managed. There is no legacy of damage, no permanent negative changes.

I have done so.  Your criticism is over my inclusion of arguments that point to potential dangers that have not yet materialized, and until they do, the "reactionaries" will not have those "facts" (in the form of documented scientific evidence), unfortunately by the time they have that evidence, many fear it will be too late anyway.  I am still waiting to see those scientific studies that show that farmed Atlantic salmon cannot pass pathogens to wild Pacific salmon.  Surely, if I need to provide proof it can happen, then you need to prove that it cannot.  Simply pointing to the fact that no disease has been found yet in the wild fish surveyed, is not proof, especially when it has been found, but all the energy is directed toward showing that it really had not been found at all.

You haven't demonstrated anything with facts. Your concerns are all potential dangers with varying degrees of basis in reality and varying degrees of possibility, not even considering probability. None are even near certainty yet you expect them to be evaluated as if they were certain outcomes and actions taken based on those evaluations.

You would like that wouldn't you?

What a pointless and yet revealing remark. Second time I've seen it too.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #650 on: January 16, 2012, 11:26:36 PM »

I understand that you will disagree with any research or science that doesn't support the purity of feedlot fish farming.

I'd respond in detail but this topic should remain on ISAV. Maybe I should start a topic related to the sustainability of fish farming and we can discuss it there.  ???

That wasn't research or science you posted, and I not only disagree with it, I've proved it to be the BS that it is.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #651 on: January 17, 2012, 08:19:30 PM »

As usual, you're leaving out the details. Don't forget, bacteria resistant to antibiotics are found in the substrate, not the water column. Fish are found in the water column, not the substrate. The mutation to resistance doesn't change the genetic signature so the bacteria is still recognized by the immune system. The change in the genetic code causing resistance to antibiotics confers resistance to antibiotics, not superpowers. Some fish may indeed arrive on the spawning ground with some level of infection, but the gametes are formed and can still be deposited. Then the fish dies and rots or washes back down the river. In the spring, a new crop of alevins hatch ready for development and exposure to pathogens in order to develop an immune response and memory. Sure it can happen, but the consequences aren't nearly as dire as you insist they are.

I understand antibacterial resistant bacteria are found in the substrate,  but can that bacteria not move up into the water column by way of the food chain?  Are you suggesting that is not possible?  Are you also suggesting that antibacterial resistant bacteria are not found in the fish themselves?  That the antibiotics given to the fish are able to kill 100% of the bacteria in the infected fish?   This is, of course, the very reason why antibiotics are so problematic.  If even one organism survives the antibiotic treatment (because it is the strongest in the colony) then it reproduces, then the new generation of infection is a stronger strain that requires an even stronger dose to kill it.  Such a colony of stronger bacteria, may indeed be able to overcome the wild fish's natural immune response. If we see this happening in other organisms in other ecosystems, I do not see why it is so far fetched that it might happen in a fish?

I'm not asking you to do my work. I'm asking you to do yours. A simple search on either of your cosmetic citations yields a substantial list of papers that match the search term.

The second hit in that "substantial" list that a Google search of "Bjorn et al. 2011" produced was "Area protection may reduce salmon louse infection risk to wild ..." so you could not figure out that it was probably that one?  Sorry, I obviously gave you more credit than you deserved.   You had implied that I was being lazy when I asked you to provide me with the research papers that you were basing your arguments on.  I at least gave you a citation (in standard APA format) so you could find the article.  In the future, I will provide a full bibliographic citation, hell, I will cut and paste the whole paper for you.

What a pointless and yet revealing remark. Second time I've seen it too.

Isn't it though?  That is the farmer's argument is it not?  Industrialized farmed fish, not wild fish, are the future?  Only an industrialized feed lot is able to meet the needs of the largely European and American consumer, which are responsible for 73% of global farmed salmon consumption (Marine Harvest Salmon Farming Industry Handbook 2010).  That Handbook would also seem to explode the myth of the salmon farm as a source of jobs as well as they state on page 43 in that handbook that "labour cost is a minor part of the total cost [of fish farm production] as much of the production is automated (e.g. feed blowers)."  This is in contrast to commercial fisheries which are more labour intensive (Eagle et al., "Why farm salmon outcompete fishery salmon," Marine Policy 28, 3, 2004) as are the sport salmon fisheries (Ministry of the Environment, "British Columbia's Fisheries and Aquaculture Sector," BC Stats, April 2070).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:32:14 PM by Sandman »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #652 on: January 17, 2012, 08:35:10 PM »

That wasn't research or science you posted, and I not only disagree with it, I've proved it to be the BS that it is.

Brilliant post.....   ::) 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #653 on: January 18, 2012, 07:50:32 AM »

Concerned that column will mislead the public
  Courier-Islander January 18, 2012   I am concerned that the public will be misled by statements in Ray Grigg's column in the Jan. 13 Courier-Islander, "The Cohen Commission and ISAv Evidence."

In the column, Mr. Grigg wrote, "A study by Dr. Molly Kibenge suggested that ISAv was here in 2004. Despite a UN convention that requires 'evidence or suspicion' of ISAv to be reported, this was never done."

On Dec. 16 at the Cohen Commission hearings, Nellie Gagné, head of the CFIA National Reference Laboratory for ISA, said that sequence analysis of the PCR product that Molly Kibenge generated in her tests of Cultus Lake sockeye salmon were ".non-specific, and the match has nothing to do with any fish. The match is random, mouse, human." and, therefore, was the result of "non-specific amplification" (Dec. 15 transcripts, page 80, lines 35 - 44)."

As part of my work as the BC Ministry of Agriculture's fish pathologist, last fall I reviewed similar results in our diagnostic laboratory from five farmed chinook salmon re-tested for ISAV.

Samples from all five fish yielded a band that was very similar to our ISAV-positive control, but when we sequenced the PCR product to determine its identity, it didn't match anything. The closest match was mouse (see Cohen Commission Exhibit #s 2079 and 2080.)

I view mouse-like results in a test for a salmon virus as evidence of "nonspecific amplification." This means that the test did not work properly and needed to be redone; it is not grounds to report to OIE. The test was repeated several times, and all results were negative - no virus.

Canada is recognized by the OIE for its diligence in following OIE reporting requirements, as confirmed by The Director General of the OIE in a November 29, 2009, letter to Alexandra Morton:

"The OIE is aware that CFIA is investigating reports of ISAV in wild salmon in British Columbia, and I am pleased to say that Canada has complied with OIE requirements for the provision of information that has been available to date."

I agree with Mr. Grigg that regarding infectious salmon anemia in BC, "we don't have disease."

Gary Marty BC Ministry of Agriculture Abbotsford

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #655 on: January 18, 2012, 08:06:56 AM »

I understand antibacterial resistant bacteria are found in the substrate,  but can that bacteria not move up into the water column by way of the food chain?  Are you suggesting that is not possible?  Are you also suggesting that antibacterial resistant bacteria are not found in the fish themselves?  That the antibiotics given to the fish are able to kill 100% of the bacteria in the infected fish?   This is, of course, the very reason why antibiotics are so problematic.  If even one organism survives the antibiotic treatment (because it is the strongest in the colony) then it reproduces, then the new generation of infection is a stronger strain that requires an even stronger dose to kill it.  Such a colony of stronger bacteria, may indeed be able to overcome the wild fish's natural immune response. If we see this happening in other organisms in other ecosystems, I do not see why it is so far fetched that it might happen in a fish?

Yours is an interesting variation on the scientific method where a hypothesis that explains an observed phenomena is developed and then tested. You start with a hypothetical phenomena, construct a hypothetical set of facts, massage them into a semi-plausible scenario that might allow the phenomena to occur and declare your conclusion proved. You'll forgive me if I see little point in arguing the validity of your conclusion.

The second hit in that "substantial" list that a Google search of "Bjorn et al. 2011" produced was "Area protection may reduce salmon louse infection risk to wild ..." so you could not figure out that it was probably that one?  Sorry, I obviously gave you more credit than you deserved.   You had implied that I was being lazy when I asked you to provide me with the research papers that you were basing your arguments on.  I at least gave you a citation (in standard APA format) so you could find the article.  In the future, I will provide a full bibliographic citation, hell, I will cut and paste the whole paper for you.

Deal with it in any way you like. In my world, a citation consists of a flag on the information quoted that refers to sufficient further information on the source of the quote; the point being to allow the reader to confirm accurate and relevant presentation of the idea embodied in the quote. With your tendency to take poetic license, I consider it both a requirement as well as plain common courtesy to provide complete information so your use of that information can be audited. You still haven't explained why you felt it necessary to add that incomplete citation in a venue where you specifically state it isn't necessary.

Isn't it though?  That is the farmer's argument is it not?  Industrialized farmed fish, not wild fish, are the future?  Only an industrialized feed lot is able to meet the needs of the largely European and American consumer, which are responsible for 73% of global farmed salmon consumption (Marine Harvest Salmon Farming Industry Handbook 2010).  That Handbook would also seem to explode the myth of the salmon farm as a source of jobs as well as they state on page 43 in that handbook that "labour cost is a minor part of the total cost [of fish farm production] as much of the production is automated (e.g. feed blowers)."  This is in contrast to commercial fisheries which are more labour intensive (Eagle et al., "Why farm salmon outcompete fishery salmon," Marine Policy 28, 3, 2004) as are the sport salmon fisheries (Ministry of the Environment, "British Columbia's Fisheries and Aquaculture Sector," BC Stats, April 2070).

The farmers have never suggested the commercial fishery be shut down, so obviously don't have any arguments on the subject. That was my suggestion and your response.....

You would like that wouldn't you?  Eliminate the only other source of salmon so the farmers can say "Now you do NEED us!"

.....is a pointless personal comment addressed to me, indicative of the personal animosity you bring to the discussion. Again, based on that, you'll forgive me if I see no need to argue the point.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #656 on: January 18, 2012, 08:07:24 AM »

Brilliant post.....   ::) 

Glad you liked it.  ;)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #657 on: January 18, 2012, 11:23:52 AM »

http://www.canada.com/salmon/6012683/story.html

More of CFIA's strategy to convince the public that there is "no problem"??

This strategy is evident in an e-mail from a CFIA executive, Joseph Beres, to his colleagues, congratulating them on a conference call to the media that was intended to quell concerns about allegations of ISAv in BC salmon. "It is clear that we are turning the PR tide to our favour," he writes, "and this is because of the very successful performance of our spokesmen at the Tech Briefing yesterday... Congratulations! One battle is won, now we have to nail the surveillance piece, and we will win the war also."

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #658 on: January 18, 2012, 11:31:44 AM »

af, do you ever tire of posting old information?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #659 on: January 18, 2012, 11:35:34 AM »

af, do you ever tire of posting old information?

I don't..... specially when the content is relevant to the topic.  But thanks for asking.  :D