Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alouette Lake, Maple Ridge.. Fish larger than Kokanee?  (Read 8430 times)

Mkulak

Alouette Lake, Maple Ridge.. Fish larger than Kokanee?
« on: May 26, 2014, 04:58:21 PM »

Good Afternoon,

I live in Port Coquitlam and like to visit Alouette Lake as it is pretty close and quite easy to launch my 16ft Inflatable boat.  To date I have successfully caught Kokanee at the lake (which was what I have targeted) using wedding bands and some small dodgers.  I've heard there are bigger fish in the lake which I have never targeted and was wondering if anyone on this forum has any advice or experience as I would like to catch some of the trout species that I hear are in this beautiful lake.

My boat is equipped with 2 Scotty Downriggers - just grabbed a second from craigslist :) - fishfinder and I own a couple of cabelas trolling rod setups with 20lb test line. 
I've got an assortment of 11" flashers and spoons ranging in size from 1.5" to 3.5" that I would use fishing for Salmon or Trout with my father in Lake Ontario.

I'm new to fishing in this area as most of my experience in from my time spent in Ontario with my father and would appreciate any advice you can offer....   plus I'm itching to do some local fishing and get some practice (since most of my past experience was with Dad) before I head out to Ambleside in a month or so.

Here is a picture of my inflatable boat setup....  minus the 25hp Yamaha or Minn-Kota electric motor.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks so much for your help!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 05:29:20 PM by Mkulak »

wonder

Re: Alouette Lake, Maple Ridge.. Fish larger than Kokanee?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 12:59:05 PM »

I've seen some really big bull trout pulled out trolling deep with apex near the narrows

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 02:07:23 PM »

Do you transport your inflatable using a trailer or do you just set it up when you get to your fishing spot? Im looking for a set up like yours for waters around here.

Mkulak

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 08:44:50 PM »

I've seen some really big bull trout pulled out trolling deep with apex near the narrows

Thanks wonder...   Couple of quick questions / assumptions...

1.  Assuming this would be on the South side of the narrows?
2.  How deep is deep?  My maps show this area is 200-450ft deep?  I think I've got about 150-200ft of cable on one of my riggers and 125ft on the other.  Granted I would also use my fish finder to mark the fish but curious of the general depth for the bull trout? and if I have cable line long enough.
3.  Would you recommend running the Apex Lure behind a flasher or should I run the flasher off the cannon ball to avoid altering the action of the lure?

Thanks so much for putting up with my questions :)

Do you transport your inflatable using a trailer or do you just set it up when you get to your fishing spot? Im looking for a set up like yours for waters around here.

I find it takes me far too long to setup the boat on my own so I leave it inflated from Spring to Fall and use a trailer to move it.  I'm actually able to load it (with the 25hp motor atatched) from my garage and on to my trailer on my own (and I'm not very big) which is a bonus.  Below is a picture of the trailer and the setup I built in the garage to store the boat but also allow for additional storage.

Trailer is small enough that I can still fit 2 cars in the driveway parked next to it.

As you can see I still get quite a bit of storage above the inflatable while it is stored for next use.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 08:48:34 PM by Mkulak »

wonder

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 06:18:47 AM »

If you have 2 rods I'd just set both up different and see what's hitting. One with flasher one without. Troll thru the narrows back and forth. For depth i would just start as deep as you can get and work your way up. It's all trial and error really.

Mkulak

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 06:32:52 AM »

If you have 2 rods I'd just set both up different and see what's hitting. One with flasher one without. Troll thru the narrows back and forth. For depth i would just start as deep as you can get and work your way up. It's all trial and error really.

Thanks for the advice....   Looking at my charts (Navionics app for Andriod) I don't believe it is too deep in the narrows 20 - 30ft so that should be easy to setup.  It does get much deeper just outside of the narrows on both sides.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 07:05:26 AM »

I find it takes me far too long to setup the boat on my own so I leave it inflated from Spring to Fall and use a trailer to move it.  I'm actually able to load it (with the 25hp motor atatched) from my garage and on to my trailer on my own (and I'm not very big) which is a bonus. 

Doesn't your boat also weight 250+ lbs? I would imagine it's pretty hard to maneuver it when uninflated.

Mkulak

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 07:59:07 AM »

Doesn't your boat also weight 250+ lbs? I would imagine it's pretty hard to maneuver it when uninflated.

Correct...  One of the reasons I leave it inflated the majority of the time. 
I only deflate it in the winter so I can gain some garage space and give it an end of season clean-up.

phillyeagles89

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 04:42:20 PM »

How'd it go? Were the downriggers necessary? I'm thinking about going fishing there next weekend, I live very close to there too, Pitt Meadows. Only problem is that I don't have downriggers... hopefully they weren't completely necessary.

Thanks

Mkulak

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 04:12:37 PM »

How'd it go? Were the downriggers necessary? I'm thinking about going fishing there next weekend, I live very close to there too, Pitt Meadows. Only problem is that I don't have downriggers... hopefully they weren't completely necessary.

Thanks

I'm planning to visit Alouette tomorrow..   The last few weekends (including today) I tried my luck - along with many others - at Ambleside but the Coho are not biting yet.

I do plan to use my downriggers tomorrow.....

Planning to take my light weight stuff for Kokanee and 2 of my trolling setups