Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flybc Spey Day on the Vedder New Year's day morning~  (Read 8491 times)

Brian the fisherman

Re: Flybc Spey Day on the Vedder New Year's day morning~
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 05:33:17 PM »

I have covered all spots, very unpopulated. yet people just waltz in. hike in spots mid riv up river and avoided parking lot fishin for the most part. There are some nice fellas out there. but there are groups of others who just don't care.
Tight lines to all

nineweight

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 06:26:34 PM »

I have yet to see any etiquette  this steelhead season.
For the last week i have been out before sun up. got my excellent spot just to have 4-5 guys wander in and fish side to side of me.

I have been pushed out of many runs because im solo out there and they come in groups.
There have been a few long leader men bottom bouncing with 10+ ft leaders as well
and Several people fishing with large barbed hooks...

With that being said I have still connected with fish.. just never around the group of intruders..
I tend to let them push fish to the edges of the run and pick them up with a far cast.
Only been into 3 fish and lost one large buck but I would like to see more fisherman accept the loss when there is someone in the spot already. especially when they show up just after first light and I have been there for 45 min...

Im starting to think there is no good reason to get up early anymore. ill just waltz down in where I please...

I've started arriving just after first light with several locations in mind, and just pick the spot with no vehicles.  This way you are guaranteed at least a few casts without interuption in prime water. 

This steelhead season I have seen 0 to 1 or 2 vehicles at a given spot one day, to half a dozen+ the next. This may be due to fish being caught, but I'm sure there is a % of anglers that fish a spot because there are other vehicles, not despite the fact there are other vehicles.

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 06:15:24 PM »

Etiquette is right out the door I'm the last 5 years , fishing in the lml is just a joke. There needs to be licences for each river  I'd gladly pay another $200 per river no problem or even a lottery system like Europe. What really blows me away is how people stand in one place all day.  Show 1 fish my bait 100 times or show 100 fish my bait once ......  there is a better way then what it has become, educating the users of the resource to respect it and protect it
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 07:34:57 PM by 7119 »

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 09:55:36 PM »

Ah, the same discussion every yr. People its the Vedder! Do not expect any kind of respect or river ettiquette from anyone. Its every man for himself. I would not line up anywhere before first light. You will be crowded out.Fish less traveled spots and keep your feet moving.Go around the fence posters.If i see too many cars parked in a spot i want too fish,i keep driving till i find a spot with fewer viehicles,(sometimes hard to find a quieter spot).Go midmorning,alot of the early birds are leaving for the day or late day when others have to be home for Din Din with the wife and kids.Dont worry,big crowds always during the Xmas holidays,as the season wears on,the crowds will thin out. I dont even think about fishing it till after the New year starts.Enjoy reading about it though. ;D

farky

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 10:17:20 PM »

When the synopsis states that rotational angling is not applicable to all waters and conditions, that would mean that being low holed or fence posting is perfectly ok. Hey if someone is always in the same spots, there is usually good reasons for it. Besides think of all the fish he is leaving for you to find, chances are he is not going to care if you fish right past him. As for being low holed sometimes they could be new to steelheading, or perhaps they know exactly what is up and want to be first to fish the prime spots of a run. Again until they change the rules learn to accept it, you can try to go find some quite runs to fish  :D . But expect company because i am sure there are some guys that stop just because there is a car there.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 11:06:10 PM »

Ah, the same discussion every yr. People its the Vedder! Do not expect any kind of respect or river ettiquette from anyone. Its every man for himself.

It's extremely unfortunate that it has to be this way!  If I ever had a visiting angler from another country and mistakenly took him to the Vedder and he had to witness what was going on I'd be totally embarrassed for our province/country! I GUARANTEE you'd wouldn't see this anywhere else in the civilized fishing world.

But just giving up on educating the masses about river etiquette is a cop out in my opinion.  That's like saying you can never teach a kid that stealing is wrong and that he will be a thief forever.  Maybe a lousy example but you get my point.  Blame it on the mentor of each guy learning how to fish.  If he had done his job properly there wouldn't be any low-holing, throwing garbage on the ground, and in general.... respecting other anglers.

My dad taught me as a younster about river etiquette but what really cemented it into my head was a NEVER forgotten lesson he taught me when I was 12 years old.  The ol' boy used to take me out of school every year for a week in the fall from the time I was ten to fish steelhead on the Thompson (mid sixties) plus several weekends through the season.  On one of our weekends we were getting ready to fish one of our favourite runs.  I was so amped up, as usual, that I left before my dad was ready.

When I was walking the tracks I saw a fish roll below a solitary guy on the run we were going to fish.  I scrambled down the side of the hill, went down below this guy, and a couple of casts later I was into this fish.  My dad witnessed this from the tracks and went down to the guy above me to do some damage control.  My dad said the guy was plenty pissed off at me but ended up giving me a bit of slack because of my age .  My dad told him that ws no excuse and that I should have known better.  After my dad came down to me he walked me up to him to apoligize.

As we walked up river above the guy my dad also said to me, "BTW.....you just lost your chance at getting time off school to fish this year!"  As much as I cried, pleaded, and begged him to take me over the next couple of weeks he stuck to his guns, the bastard.  

Let's just say I didn't miss anymore trips after that~

BTW.....when they talk about rotational angling not working in all situations I would put my bottom dollar on it that they are referring to bar fishing....not drift fishing, chucking spoons, or flyfishing where it's in your best interest to cover more water. 

farky

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 06:03:52 AM »

BTW.....when they talk about rotational angling not working in all situations I would put my bottom dollar on it that they are referring to bar fishing....not drift fishing, chucking spoons, or flyfishing where it's in your best interest to cover more water. 
I agree with you but, what i was getting at is until they make it mandatory what happens out there will continue. Besides you can educate people all you want , some will just not care. In the future it would be great if you could be first on the water, and be the first to fish down the run. That being said i have picked up lots of fish after people  have jumped down below me, it is even sweeter when they are still there to see it.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 03:20:24 PM »

It's only going to get worse.

roseph

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 04:23:36 PM »

I personally think it's going to get better with time.  Most of the younger people out there are also on this or one of the other fishing forums where the education about low-holing takes place.

I find it's the slightly older guys (not trying to pick any group out) that have been fishing a long time and are generally dicks in all aspects of life.  And yeah I think its useless to try and educate those guys.  

To be fair I've met more older fishermen on the Vedder who are gentlemen than the ones I describe above.  But it's not by a very wide margin.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:26:09 PM by roseph »

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 04:40:55 PM »

I must say that out of 12 or so outings this year since early December I have not been low holed once. On most outings there have been times when people have walked up from a run below and had a perfect chance to step in and low hole, but saw me and didn't.
We would even have a little chit chat before they proceeded to the top of the run.

I have never been a low holer and never will. No matter how prime a section of water might be, more often than not if I see someone there I will pass on to the next run and maybe fish it later.

Being a fly guy, I really appreciate the courtesy I have been shown so far this steelhead season. Maybe things are changing...
A swung fly is the best fly.

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 06:22:57 PM »

Ya hopefully it is getting better had a bad day 1st on the vedd . Got into with some guys when I fished through a run they were camping . They told me to leave because they got there first . I laughed and did my thing . People dragging long leaders with a firm jerk at the end lol

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 09:44:31 PM »

I personally think it's going to get better with time.  Most of the younger people out there are also on this or one of the other fishing forums where the education about low-holing takes place.

I find it's the slightly older guys (not trying to pick any group out) that have been fishing a long time and are generally dicks in all aspects of life.  And yeah I think its useless to try and educate those guys.  

To be fair I've met more older fishermen on the Vedder who are gentlemen than the ones I describe above.  But it's not by a very wide margin.

I don't agree. With density only bad things happen.

greybark

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2013, 08:26:27 PM »

Wow a lot of emotional drama for a practice that never existed on this river . A few die hard rotationers is not going to convert the multitudes out there . Just do your part to be courtious , fish the water in front of you and enjoy the day , what happens around you should not ruin your day .
    For those who disparage post holeing  just go by me as I am so glad I made that far and this 74 year is a danger to himself while wadeing . Don`t be afraid to stop and BS for a while especialy if your a Bowhunter . LOL

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2013, 10:10:27 PM »

Hey greybark long time no see!
Hopefully I run into you soon so you can take me to one of your 3D shoots.
Jason.