Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River Bear  (Read 8454 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River Bear
« on: October 10, 2008, 07:52:51 PM »

The bear that was bothering people while out on the river near the Cement Slabs was taken down by the CO service this afternoon.

As much as you hate this to happen but apparently the bear that had an injured front leg even had to be beaten off by a person with a rock recently. The bear was feeding on fish and also innards left by people after cleaning their fish. If you clean your fish at the river's edge please throw it out into the flow as that will help some.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River Bear
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 08:44:54 PM »

Good advice!
I fished one spot for many weeks.
No people, no bears.
I was in heaven. 
:D
One day, I bleed a fish on the rocks.
Next day lots of people, 2 bears. 
:(

« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 08:48:13 PM by adriaticum »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 09:38:39 PM »

Good advice!
I fished one spot for many weeks.
No people, no bears.
I was in heaven. 
:D
One day, I bleed a fish on the rocks.
Next day lots of people, 2 bears. 
:(

Yes we must bleed the fish in the water to keep your spots secret. ;D ;D ;D

DeeAngler

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 10:19:10 PM »

The bear that was bothering people while out on the river near the Cement Slabs was taken down by the CO service this afternoon.

As much as you hate this to happen but apparently the bear that had an injured front leg even had to be beaten off by a person with a rock recently. The bear was feeding on fish and also innards left by people after cleaning their fish. If you clean your fish at the river's edge please throw it out into the flow as that will help some.

Or is it the people bothering the bear? Unless it was truely badly injuried .... thanks to mankind, another senseless destruction.

Seriously ... I've veiwed a few posts (from different sites) ... including a video of this bear. Now why would anglers feel threatened, knowing full well that this bear was using this area actively the past month. Then cry wolf when confronted by it?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 10:26:42 PM by DeeAngler »

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 10:40:31 PM »

this bear in question has been aggressive for a couple months including charging a friend of mine a month ago... this is an overly aggressive animal that was wounded anyways and probably caused it to be that way... it needed to be put down.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 10:50:46 PM »

I hope they shoot some Eagles out that way too.
Im tired of listening to there loud screeches all the time.
Maybe put  some Cougar traps out cause you know there are Cougars around there somewhere,and well,you dont want somebody sayin i told you so down the road.
Dont even get me startyed about Deer,the animal that kills the most people in North  America year after year. ::)

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 11:14:28 PM »

I hope they shoot some Eagles out that way too. I'm tired of listening to there loud screeches all the time. Unreal. From someone who is always decrying bb. and yet is ready to kill because of natures natural sounds. Well, go to it.

CohoKiller5

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 11:39:32 PM »

oh jeeze.  Settle down.  The bear was endangering peoples lifes.  When bears get agressive towards people and are not affraid something has to be done.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 11:44:49 PM »

a bear that has shown aggression towards humans really has no chance of being relocated. it will just take back it's old ways as to being aggressive later on, endangering more people. another note, the bear was injured. co's did the right thing here.

DeeAngler

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 10:13:18 AM »

Aggressive in what way? It probably had salmon carcasses it dined on spread throughout the area. Would all of you that decree this aggressive bears demise, agree we should do like wise to all bears encountered by hunter/anglers while out up north hunting or at other salmon spawning rivers?

Get real ... was this a case of human 'WE WANT TO FISH THERE' syndrome. If people so choose, then expect what has been previously posted. A bear that didn't show fear of man. Example ... Stamp river bears can be no different for those that have ventured there.

Now I'm reading the bear was injured. Post some viable proof ... like, this bear was hit by a vehicle and dragging a leg. Was it possible it was carrying around some snaggers 3/0 hook?

Venturing outdoors = sharing it. Seems some don't see it that way.  ::)

Hook Set

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 11:11:07 AM »

I hope they shoot some Eagles out that way too. I'm tired of listening to there loud screeches all the time. Unreal. From someone who is always decrying bb. and yet is ready to kill because of natures natural sounds. Well, go to it.

Read his post again, he was clearly wasn't being serious.

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 11:44:35 AM »

3/0 hook wont make a bear limp. 

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 04:33:22 PM »

Injured bears eventually get desperate for food.  Especially now when they are trying to fatten up for the winter.  Public safety is number 1 and the conservation officer made the proper risk assessment and decision to kill the bear.  Had the bear not been killed and the bear then attacked and maybe kill a person, there will be a lot of questions brought to why it wasnt killed and then the officer would have to live with that decision that would effect his life and career. 

Knowing several conservation officers and having worked along side them at times, I can assure you that shooting an animal is the worst part of their job and when they get this type of call, which is frequent where I live, their eyes dont light up. 

Its sad to see the animals lose out, as its not their fault, but this is reality.  With education on the subject, proper steps taken such as minimizing garbage and other bear attractants we can minimize the amount of bear-human conflicts that will more than likely end in a dead bear. 

glx

standalone

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 05:22:26 PM »

not familiar with Vedder,just want to avoid the Cement Slabs area,how far it is from Vedder Cross?

buck

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 06:17:32 PM »

I was fishing mid river last year when  a black bear came out of the bush between myself and two other anglers. The  anglers started yelling and took off like  bats out
of hell.The bear just casually walked along the river bank looking for fish. I'll bet by the time the story got out that these two anglers "Bearly'' escaped with their lives. Just another instance
of mother nature interacting with Joe public. I guess this bear should have been shot as it invaded some anglers space.