Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chilliwack creel survey  (Read 1613 times)

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
chilliwack creel survey
« on: December 01, 2005, 06:16:42 PM »

just read the creel survey report on the home page. that is not very accurate especially for the coho. there guys limiting out on coho almost every trip and yet surveyors were never around. what you see here is when they have time to drop by and see if you caught any fish they will report it. most fish were caught early in the morning when surveyors even had a chance to get out of their beds. although my luck was not as good as 2003 season my buddies who live in the area went out many times and caught plenty of springs and coho with no DFO officers or surveyors within a half mile. i went out 20 times to the vedder this year and only saw the survey person and DFO once and that was when i drove by the KWB on my way to my location on the river. with the amount of fisherman on the river from august to october and only this many fish caught seem pretty inaccurate. please don't spear me for this! just my 2 cents.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: chilliwack creel survey
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 06:31:23 PM »

Creel survey results always have a margin of error, the numbers are never meant to be viewed as exact catch numbers. Your friend and a few others' good fishing result would fall outside the 95%, having the surveyer there everytime they limited out would skew the survey result as they only make up a small portion of the entire angling participating group on the Vedder River.

Creel surveys from past years, however, can provide good seasonal comparisons and indication of any trend or abnormality. Together with post-season escapement/run size estimates, they can be used to evaluate the growth of fish stock, angling effort and harvest demand.