Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Down Rigging  (Read 6422 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Down Rigging
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 07:16:07 PM »

I think I should move the downrigger further up (midships ,if you will) and build a stronger mount so I can run a heavier ball . Right now I am running it near the stern . I use a Scotty , short ,stongarm down rigger . Maybe this may alleviate the situation by moving it.

My old mans 14ft has the riggers mounted to a homemade bracket made of thick stainless that is attached to the bench and gunnel. Makes for a sturdy mount.

santefe

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 07:50:46 PM »

I wouldn't move my down riggers amidships. I did use 3/4" plywood on either side of the aluminum to brace my down
rigger bracket.  It worked fine and I had no problems with stress on the sides of my boat...I used 10# balls.  I now use  12#balls.  Pancacke weights are pricey..

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 09:38:04 PM »

What I will try is mounting a heavy bracket on the middle bench , go to a heavier ball  10# or more .put a sand bag in the bow to keep it down since most weight I have is at the back . This way I can cut the water more . I should mention I'm having the most steering issues when the cable is on a 45 and once I turn around and troll with the tide it's not as bad . Especially around Horseshoe Bay , Hole in the Wall , Fury Creek . :) Oh and take a pail along.
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 08:05:24 AM »

If your boat is sitting high like that in the bow it makes sense you are having tracking problems.
Get that nose down and you wont need anything else im betting.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 10:46:30 PM »

I think I should move the downrigger further up (midships ,if you will) and build a stronger mount so I can run a heavier ball . Right now I am running it near the stern . I use a Scotty , short ,stongarm down rigger . Maybe this may alleviate the situation by moving it.

--really have to check... every solution brings issues. I just moved my rigger midship... first time out I was using a plug... turned into the wind and the boat slowed...plug floated up as I triped the rigger and instan line in the prop. Never happend before... Probably won't happen again... at least in the same way. I tend to try and learn from my mistakes.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 03:11:33 PM »

Yep,keep them riggers at the back of the boat or near it.
That rigger line will mess up an outboard very fast. :'(

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 03:37:14 PM »

If your boat is sitting high like that in the bow it makes sense you are having tracking problems.
Get that nose down and you wont need anything else im betting.
I'll bet ur right  :) . I think I will make up a sand bag (heavy ) and fit it under the seat at the bow . It should bring the bow down and cut the water nicely . As far as the rigger goes , I will leave it at the stern , build a stronger mount . Last thing I need out there is a mangled up prop of wire  :P.
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."