Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Palmer Lake, Kori Lake, Raven Lake  (Read 1444 times)

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
Palmer Lake, Kori Lake, Raven Lake
« on: July 09, 2004, 08:48:52 PM »

Boy, are these beautiful places to fish.  We spent four nights staying in a cabin on Kori (probably not spelled that way--it's a small lake near Chilko Lake) and did pretty well using a #3 purpleish meps spinner.  Trout were mostly about 15-16 inches.  We released a bunch and kept enough for eating--bright orange flesh from shrimp they eat.  Just as it was getting dark one evening I dabbed a fuzzy brown fly from the bank and caught one that way.  Big thrill for me.

At Palmer lake I only caught one fish, but it was a pretty good one for me:  18 inches.  People were catching fish most days, but they were doing it mostly near the inlet, which I was unwilling to row to because of weather conditions and because I was getting lazy.  Our truck broke down here and one of us had to go out to Wms Lake to get a fuel pump.  It is a beautiful place to camp.  Large white pelicans on the lake put on a good show.  We met very nice people at this lake while we were stuck there an extra two days.

We spent one evening at Raven Lake, and my fishing partner caught one large brook trout,  which was delicious--I believe he got it on a small wobble right in a red and white pattern.

About this time our licenses ran out, so we spent the rest of the time sight seeing on the way to and around Bella Coola.

I had more truck trouble on this trip than I have had on any previous trip, but despite that it was a great time.  I fell in love with the Bella Coola valley.  And the people everywhere we went treated us like they had been expecting us.  I'll be back, better equipped.

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
Re:Palmer Lake, Kori Lake, Raven Lake
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 10:03:44 PM »

nice trip , sorry to hear about the truck
ive never caught a brook trout, and im curious as to the color and taste of such a specimen
tia cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

spring_killer

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 10:57:51 PM »

WOw those are some big fish..18" :o :o

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 07:40:08 AM »

Hi Canoe man,
On the outside that brookie looked just like the picture in the regulations publication, and on the inside it was that deep orange trout get from eating shrimp.  Tasted about like a rainbow to me.

Spring_killer:  yeah, I know, 18" equals a minnow for many of you guys, but it's still a thrill for me.  Fishermen on Palmer lake told me 22" is about tops nowadays for that lake.  Next time I'm gonna get me one of those.  Maybe two.