Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder July 9  (Read 2250 times)

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
Vedder July 9
« on: July 09, 2004, 07:36:43 PM »

Put in a good effort today in search of the elusive Vedder springs.  Fished the lower end (Lickman to Peach) but was unable to hook up with anything all day.   Saw a number of sockeye hooked (by guys fishing "the other way") and released, but I did not see any springs caught, nor did anyone I talked to (about 15 guys).  I was disturbed to see that a few anglers seemed to be targeting the sockeye simply for sport (catch and release).  While I don't normally have a problem with catch and release fishing, I worry that targeting already depressed runs such as this one has a measureable affect on their survival?!?!

I did however see one large spring roll in the water while fishing in the Peach Rd. area.  Alas I was unable to entice the brute to bite :'( despite throwing everything I had at it.

On a brighter note, the bird life on the river kept me entertained.  Spent quite a while watching a mother duck lead her NINE little babies upstream through the rapids....you should have seen those little guys paddle with their legs....the fellow across the river and I had a little chuckle as the ducks swam past, learning how to navigate the current...very entertaining.  Later, a HUGE heron flew right overhead of me closer than I ever have been to one of these birds...never really realized how big they are.  Also, saw a small baby bird on the shore...kind of looked like a sand piper...but I know they do not live in these parts...2 long legs, fluf ball body, and a pointed little beak....very cute!

By Vedder norms, fishing presure was quite light today, I guess everyone is fishing the fraser....(probably where I should have gone).  

Towards the end of the day my wrist was getting sore so I started the long hike back to my car.  Feeling guilty about not being able to attend the cleanup tomorrow, I collected my garbage bag full of trash before I left.  I must say that there seems to be MUCH less garbage than I remember from other seasons (I had to work to fill my bag).  I think that all the good work that people like Rod and Chris have been doing is having a positive effect.  Anyone else notice that things seem to be getting better?

FishKid

Re:Vedder July 9
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 07:47:05 PM »

Thanks for the report fishersak ;D  I'm feeling kind of guilty too because I'm going to miss the vedder clean up as well.  I've already missed a couple of river clean ups and this will be my third.  But there will be more river clean ups to attend in the future.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 03:25:25 PM by Robert »

Alex015

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 08:47:57 PM »

thanks fishersak, am headin out tommorow morning before i pop my clean up cherry  ;)

spring_killer

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 09:35:14 PM »

Nice report Fishersak, it is nice that you enjoyed your day

Yopesco

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 01:53:13 PM »

Went to the lower section of the Vedder today 6-9:00 am, between Keith Wilson bridge and ~ 1km upstream.  Not too crazy, but a fair amount of people fishing there. NO FISH THOUGH ??? ??? for anybody  :P
I did see ONE from the bridge, swiming by, pretty big and also pretty dark.

Yopesco

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 01:58:15 PM »

It's always a comforting feeling knowing your not the only one getting skunked  ;D Thanks for the info!

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 09:40:52 AM »

fished the whole vedder sat and got skunked. my buddy hooked 1 sock and releaed him . saw 1 14 lb spring caught at the crossing and some socks. the meat hole was packed with a few hookups  and none landed while we were there. oh well a bad day on the river is better than a good day at work.lol.lol ;D ;D ;D

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2004, 10:34:22 AM »

thanks for report will try in 2 weeks.
weeeeeeeeeow!