Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sleeping Throught The Fish On The Fraser July 8th  (Read 1643 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Sleeping Throught The Fish On The Fraser July 8th
« on: July 09, 2004, 12:27:59 AM »

My day started as usual shortly after 4 as I answer a number of e-mails and got packed for a short trip with CEJ to Maple Leaf Bar on the Fraser.

As I arrived at his house had to ring the door bell as no sign of him. ???
After one ring, so not to wake the rest of his family he arrives at the door a bit bleary eyed was not feeling that well and had a restless night.

"No worries I tell him, take your time as it will give me a chance to organize my boat", that neded some attention after the trip on Tuesday with Rodney , Nina and Zazia.

We arrive at Island 22 in plenty of time and it is not that busy a morning.

Leaf Craft is quickly unloaded from its trailer and her 50 horses jump to life without hesitation to begin another trip on our beloved Fraser River.

On arrivial we see Dynamite Kid's boat near the "hot spot".

I shout to him as we near the beach that this bar is reserved for Maple Leaf supporters only. ;D ;D

On coming ashore we find Fisherman and the good Doctor there also. It was good to see them all again.

We quickly get the rods in the water as I slip my pole into a holder in Maple Leaf Craft, with the #0 Doctor once again the candy for the migrating springs.

The Good Doctor was eager to even up the score with his cousin the green haired one who gave Rodney and the girls their 2 salmon on Tuesday.

While CEJ and I are talking to the other members of the forum my rod goes off after only being in the water for less than 15 minutes. CEJ the swifter of the two of us beats me to the rod but the fish is gone shortly after CEJ sets the hook.

This give us a boost to our hopes that a fair sized run is
in the river now. ;D

We visit more with the boys and look at the anchors DK builds and we both put in a order for a couple. DK sure does a good job of making them.

We then settle into  out lawn chairs and have a bit to eat.

The food makes me sleepy so I pull out the foam mattress for a short nap. I am in a deep sleep and when I wake up CEJ tells me I have had a good bite".  

"I threw it back out for you but no as far as you usually do he" tells me.

I doze off again after thanking CEJ for punching the rod out for me.

I must have quickly nodded off for more sleep and I start to dream about umpiring a fastball game for some  reason when I hear frantic action near where I am  sleeping, I scramble and roll to my feet and stagger on wobbly pins  towards CEJ who has set the hook for me. I am luckly I head in the right direction of the action I am so sleepy. ;D

The fish seems as tired as I was and he surrenders quicker than usual as I safely slide him on the beach, a fish of around 14 pounds. ;D CEJ has recorded the action on video and Matt has snapped a couple of pictures.

I am starting to feel a little cockey as with close to a dozen rods on the bar and I am the only one to hit a fish, 3 no less as the good doctor has regained his advantage over the green haired one. :D ;D

Dk offers to clean the catch if he can have the roe etc.. I happily give my consent.

We prepare to leave at 12 as we both have things to do.

We bid the others farewelll and tell them we hope to see them at the cleanup on Saturday.

We reach the launch in a hurry and meet a couple of fellows I know, as we load up Leaf Craft. They have hit 4 sockeye while TOW ing. I canot hold back my thoughts on this and tell them they should consider not fishing this way at this time with the Early Stuarts, a depressed sockeye stock in the system now.

I worry greatly that these fish may struggle to reach their spawning grounds after being fought by the anglers and then have to  release in a tired state because of the build up of lactic acid in their bodies. These Early Stuarts have a short time span to reach their natal streams past Prince George.

Why not try bar fishing until the sockeye open in a few days as you can catch blunt nosed chinooks while you sleep, just ask DK, Fisherman and the good Doctor for they were there. ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 07:01:26 AM by chris gadsden »

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
Re:Sleeping Throught The Fish On The Fraser July 8th
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 06:21:33 AM »

ok I thinkIm gonna build a boat on my lunch break today out of old pallats, that sounded like a great day man.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 07:24:54 AM »

Wish I had been there with the video camera. Saw some of it on the Morning News on Global. Going to pick trailing blackberries up Chilliwack Lake Road now.

Will leave fishing for a day or so, too tiring. ;D

But on the other hand this afternoon? ;D ;D

FishKid

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 11:21:20 AM »

It sounds like you guys had a great day.  Especially Chris because he was catching fish while sleeping.LOL ;D ;D

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 12:58:06 PM »

Good job Chris. DONT FALL ASLEEP ;D ;D ;D ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!