Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slow and Steady July 8th at Sasamat  (Read 2715 times)

Joe Fish

• Here fishy, fishy!
Slow and Steady July 8th at Sasamat
« on: July 08, 2004, 10:34:25 PM »

Fished Sasamat Lake again today (third time in the past week).  Very slow each day.  In three hours today I hooked into only one (landed and bonked him - a nice 13 incher - made for a yummy dinner tonight. ;D)

Not much fishing pressure, about four or five people fishing at any given time.  Most people were fishing shrimp under a float (maybe a 2 foot leader).  Me, nope, I'm different! ;D  Decided to try the Buntzen method of floating Power Eggs up from the bottom.  Well, you can judge my success rate as mentioned above.  The guys fishing shrimp under floats weren't doing much better, either.  One guy was there with his grandson before I arrived at noon - he left at 2:30 with a puny one (big thrill for his grandson, though, who landed it, and that's what matters).

So, where are the fish?  They're not on the bottom, they're not near the surface, and not mid-level, either?  OK, whose freezer is full with my rainbows from Sasamat, huh?  Come on, 'fess up!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 01:01:07 AM by Rodney »

mooha

• I'm a llama!
Re:Slow and Steady at Sasamat
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 12:00:14 PM »

These are fish conditioned to eating falling pellets, so keeping your bait moving is really important.

I saw this old guy use a bamboo pole with string to slowly lift and drop his bait (shrimp) and he was SLAYING them.

When I used to fish there ( in a tube) I used a #12 green damsel and just stripped in frequently. Worked pretty good for an urban pond!

Al

Joe Fish

• Here fishy, fishy!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 11:36:04 PM »

Thanks for the tip, Mooha.  So I take it your freezer is not the one hoarding my 'bows, eh? ;) ;D

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 11:44:23 PM »

Sasamat lake is definately a bait fishing lake. I had zero success with lures when I fished Sasamat many years ago.  I would like to know if anyone caugh trout at Sasamat with lures.

mooha

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 11:48:34 PM »

'fraid not. When I first started tubing I lived out that way, no more. It was a good place to get started (one day when Live performed in Vancouver,  I'm convinced I was treated to a private 'unplugged' practice performance!!!!! But that's another story. Killer acoustics ) but without sounding too cocky, it became redundant.

They post the stocking tables on www.govbc.com ( or reasonable facsimile ;) so I guess that would be a a place to check before you head out

ps Check out my "Vancouver Harbour" post, Ya baby!!

Al

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 12:18:19 AM »

Hmmmm.... more effective than bait? I've had zero success at Sasamat Lake with lures. Next time if I do fish there, I'll try to give the lures more depth before I retrieve.  I didn't want to lose my spinners because I didn't have any more money to buy more back then. Well, I work now, so it shouldn't be a financial burden if I lose too many lures.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
Re:Slow and Steady July 8th at Sasamat
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 08:48:30 AM »

i've caught trout with lures at sas.....a small chartreuse spinner...tiny dicknite spoons should work too.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 09:18:29 AM »

You should just go to buntzen.wwwwwayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more trout. And they can be big roe man landed a 15 and a half incher off the dock. So give it a try.
weeeeeeeeeow!

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 09:36:05 AM »

where did u flyfish? off a boat or from shore? thx

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 10:59:38 AM »

what kinda flies did u use ???

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 11:05:13 AM »

I fished Sasamat about 5 years ago with a 1/4oz Fire Orange/Chartreuse Fused coloured Gibbs Silvex with no success.  I even tried a Vibrax, fished only shallow, because I didn't want to lose the lure - nothing also.  I am not a big fan of bait fishing. Even though I had powerbait in my tacklebox, I never wanted to use it.

otto

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2004, 04:14:40 PM »

These are fish conditioned to eating falling pellets, so keeping your bait moving is really important.

I saw this old guy use a bamboo pole with string to slowly lift and drop his bait (shrimp) and he was SLAYING them.

When I used to fish there ( in a tube) I used a #12 green damsel and just stripped in frequently. Worked pretty good for an urban pond!

Al

i use a similar technique with my 30 foot longpole..... attach about 15 feet of line and a single BB lead and tiny hook, attach a worm or Uncle Josh bait, or roe eggs, push the pole out and drop the line into the water, raise up about 6" and drop again every few seconds. works very well.