Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A fantastic July 6th for a few barfishing newbies  (Read 3650 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
A fantastic July 6th for a few barfishing newbies
« on: July 06, 2004, 08:32:40 PM »

When we woke up at 4:15am this morning and heard the rain pounding loudly on the roof, we almost went back to bed. If I didn't promise Chris that we would meet him at Island 22 at 6:30am, most likely we would have stayed home instead. So, after a short hesitation, we hurried into the car and stopped by Tim Horton's for packed lunch before heading down to the Leaf Craft. ;D

Not only was it rainy, it was windy too. After unloading all the gear into Chris' boat, we were ready to roll. :) The boat ride was rather wild, the gust made breathing very hard. We arrived at Leaf Bar, and it was action non-stop. Not fishing action, but the tarp and rods needed to be set up, gear needed to be unpacked. It took us around one hour before we got a chance to settle down and watch the rods.

So what's this barfishing business? One hour went by, nothing was happening. Two hours, still nothing. The only workout that I was getting was reeling in that 16oz weight once every 30 minutes. Three hours went by, nada... Chris then decided to walk downstream to chat up with another group. Nina, Zazia and I were chatting away, not watching the rods but still keeping the ears alert as the bells would go off when the fish bit.

Around the four hour mark, Chris started to come back. As he got closer, he started screaming and running and pointing towards the last rod urgently. We looked down, and absolutely no idea what was going on. I started to check the rod, and saw the last rod bouncing away, and began my sprint too. I got to it first, set the hook, snagged up, no movement. A slow pull eventually got the snag out, the rod started to kick, fish on! The fish had probably already been on there for 10 minutes as we were not even paying attention. At one point the line totally went slack as it jetted upstream. I reeled the mooching reel as fast as I could and caught up to it. Finally it was brought to shore, nice looking fish, around 12lb, very chrome. :)

Show was over, back to the waiting game. Lunchtime...

Hmm...

Eek....

Two more hours went by and we decided to pack it all up by 2pm. At around 1:30pm, we started to pack up the campsite, leaving the rods to the last.

1:50pm, everything was all packed up, but the rods were still standing. At this point I was following a jetboat down the river with the video camera.... then Nina started yelling incoherently.... The third rod is going off again! Chris got to it, set the hook, fish on! The two girls and Chris took turn to fight the fish, and beached it after 10 minutes or so, perfecting ending at 2:00pm! A nice fish between 15 and 20lb.

Many thanks to Chris for showing us how it is done. Barfishing is definitely more than just fishing. The whole outing experience was fantastic. It's more like camping, with the odd surprises. :)

Chris will add in some other details when his computer is virus free once again. :)

Nina

• Administrator
Re:A fantastic July 6th for a few barfishing newbies
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 08:38:44 PM »

Yeah, it was truly an amazing day today! Thanks to Chris for taking us out and showing us how it is done  ;D

When Zazia (the white haired chick in the photos...) gets back to Denmark she will have some tales to tell about fishing in Canada  ;D  ;)

I had hoped Rodney would leave those lunch photos out of the report though...... ::)  :D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 08:43:49 PM »

Rodney, did you attend the same school of journalism as Chris ?  ;D  ;D ;D  Chris got skunked again didn't he ?  ;)

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 08:57:06 PM »

Sounds like you guys had a great time.  Rodney, I noticed you said you were reeling in the mooching reel so i guess this reel can work good for barfishing ???. By the way, those were nice fish you guys caught.  Were they both red.
I like ROE

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 08:57:57 PM »

i KNOW THAT LITTLE FIRE WOULDNT HAVE DONE ANYTHING AND WITH THE RAIN BUT I THOUGHT FIRES WERE A NO NO. ???

_Ivan_

• Fish for life. <*)))))>(
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 10:08:33 PM »

WOW   :o great taday Rodney. Thanxs for the report.
"Damn coho they're hard to catch." <*)))))>(

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 10:54:10 PM »

Dude!  Sweet Fish!  

Chris, if I fix your computer will you take me bar fishing? :D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 12:21:13 AM »

FA, yep he got skunked. ;D I think Chris doesn't care anymore when it comes to getting one while fishing. These days he gets more enjoyment watching someone who he takes out gets into fish instead. I think he had a fantastic day just being there and being bugged by the two girls, I hope... ;D

Roe Man, Chris likes them single action reels. He uses the mooching reels for barfishing, casting is not a problem.

Max, Chris is definitely a lucky charm. He was pretty confident today right from the beginning, told us we'd be into one fish at least.

Kelly, you're right. i just check the website and it indicates that there is a coastal fire ban. I would like to apologize for our ignorance. This is another reminder on how important it is to check on all the regulations that you need to follow before heading out.

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 01:05:56 AM »

It looks like you people had a load of fun. Congratulation on those beautifull fish.

PS: I offer my computer help to anybody who takes me fishing to a boat only accessible areas :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 08:54:44 AM »

After being out on the river the day before for 4 hours on a scouting trip with nothing to show for it other than completing some women's fastball stat's I saw the river was rounding in to shape very nicely.

The river was on a steady drop and the visibility was increasing at the same time.  ;D Looking good for the trip tomorrow with Rodney, Nina, and Zazia i think. ;D ;D

Both factors are very important as the fish never seem to bite very well on the rising river level and of course if you have only a few inches of clarity your chances are slim or nil that a chinook will see the good Doctor.

As I prepared the Leaf Craft and Leaf Mobile for the invited guests I could see the storm front moving in from the West with a few good gusts of wind to boot.

I was a little concerned, not so much about the rain but the wind sometimes blowing from the West wind against the current can make things pretty nasty out there. A few times I have seen it too rough to cross in a small craft.

I thought if it was too windy always could get Rodney, Nina and Zazia to buy breakfast until the front settled down. However Leaf Craft #1's rugged build should have no trouble tackling what the Fraser would throw against her. Besides she would have been disappointed if her guests could not have the opportunity to ride in her as trying to get Rodney away from his busy schedule is always a task. The invite had been on the table for at least a year.

First stop was to pick up an extra rod and reel for the trip from CEJ as I could not find a reel in the mess of boxes caused by our recent flood in the house. ::) On arrival at CEJ house he had only left out a reel, my fault as that what I had asked him the night before over the phone. So I had to ring his door bell and wake him from his sleep to get the rod and reel combo. Sorry bud. :D

On arrivail at the boat launch the lady at the gate house says "only 8 ahead of you", good I think as Maple Leaf bar should be empty and the hot spot would be ours for the taking. ;D

I organize the boat to make as much room as possible for  the gang that were not in sight. A couple of other boats and trailers pull in beside me. I always notice how everyone is in such a rush to get unloaded and get on the river, who can blame them I guess.

I always try to slow down and run a check list that the plug is in being the most important. How many times have we backed in and unloaded the boat only to see the plug out and the water pouring in, I know I have. :o

Rodney and his two passangers pull in right on time and put on their rain gear etc. for the trip to the fishing spot. I did not tell them it would be a bit of a uncomfortable ride with the now heavy rain driven sideways by the wind but the trip would not be long. :D

As I type this I am reliving the trip as I dub a couple of video copies of the trip for the gang of three. ;D

The ride to Maple Leaf bar is more uncomfortable for me than the other as left my rain coat at home so the time we reach our destination I am soaking wet from the waist up. :-[ ::)

On arrivail I am very pleased to see the "spot" empty,only 2 anglers at the top end huddled under their make shift shelter protecting them from the pelting rain, good for the fire situation that should lift the fire restriction in the next day or so.

The first order of buisness to get at least one rod in the water before we put up our shelter. On the first cast I am embarrassed as the weight flys off, too light of line on the weight part of bar rig set up. What did I mention about not rushing earlier in these post. I was too anxious to show the guests what a expert caster I was, instead looked like a bit of a rookie at something I have done for thirty years and I had not thrown a weight like this for a while.

Anyway new weight on and the line is finally in the river anchored by a 14 ounce bar weight holding the good Doctor in position hoping to repeat it performance from Saturday where it fooled 2 nice springs into biting with the 26 pounder giving Bowie a good battle for his first Fraser River blunt nosed spring.

Next the four of us get the tarp up and put all the supplies under to protect it from the still falling rain.

The other 2 rods are rigged up and with the help of Rodney, Nina and Zazia ( thought her name was Sasha during the earlier introduction, a bit deaf I guess) a Doctor and a #0 with the green hair are joining Fraser King rod number one "on the job", so to speak.

The next decision I have to make should we make a fire so I could dry out my soaked clothes and all of could be comfortable in front of the fire even thought there was a fire ban was on except for in campgrounds.

Because we were on a rocky bar a few feet from the edge of the water with nothing near that could spread from our fire pit I said I think even though it was technically wrong it would not the worse thing I had done in my life. :-\

The next step was to have a bite to eat , wait and chat. This what makes bar fishing so enjoyable the social aspect, you can meet total strangers and become friends in a few minutes, all with the common enjoyment of fishing. This to me is one of the advantage over TOW ing as that can get so competive at times, crowded fishing that can become stressful as well. I go fishing to try and relax and enjoy the companions you are fishing with that day.

Speaking of TOW ing the girls found a setup while bringing in their line.

As Rodney said in his report I went down to have a chat with Gwyn and Jim and took Gwyn his fishing gear that was in my boat from a previous fishing trip.

On my return to "camp" I noticed the rod doing its dance and Rodney quick as a rabbit was from his chair and set the hook like an expert bar fisher. Rodney plays it well as I film and we all give him lots of free advice during the battle. ;D ;D

We do not have to net the fish as Rodney slides it up on the beach, a fish closer to 15 pounds than the conservative weight Rodney mentioned. A nice first fish for Rodney bar fishing the upper river.

Congratulations all around with some pictures of course. ;D

As Rodney told the rest of the story up to the hooking of the next fish which all I can say was as we said several times was unbeliveable.To be so close to leaving even though we were all more than satisfied with the first fish then for some reason handing Rodney to do some last minute filming before we reboarded the Leaf Craft for the ride back to the launch.

For him to capture the bite and all the action from start to finish was an once in a life time experience, well done Rodney. Because of this we will be able to relive all this and the other parts of the trip for a long time, precious memories for all four of us. Also well done Nina and Zazia for fighting  the spring and landing it. It is not easy using a single action" knuckle buster" especially with a 20 plus blunt nosed Fraser River chinook on the other end is it Nina and Zazia?

With the 2 silver beauty's cleaned and tucked in the iced cold cooler wrapped in a burlap, time to bid the bar farewell for another day as Gwyn helps us leave before moving into the "hot spot" on Maple Leaf bar.

Hey only one day off before another fishing adventure starts for me
on the mighty Fraser River as I once again roll out on her murky but very productive waters. ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 09:25:21 AM by chris gadsden »

fishwithfly

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2004, 04:35:38 PM »

Sounds like a great day and I am more than a little envious.  Without a boat I generally bottom bounce on the Fraser for spring and sockeye or drift on the Vedder.  Are there any places to barfish on the Fraser that you don't need a boat to get to?  I am all rigged up with no place to go! ??? ;D

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2004, 09:47:42 PM »

Great report yet again from both the one who caught the fish, and the one who watched  ;D Chris to save yourself some work why don't you just buy a notebook, get a wireless internet connection and a webcam to give us a live shot of leaf bar :D! It'd save you a lot of typing  :)