Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser/Vedder July 4th  (Read 1666 times)

FISH187

Fraser/Vedder July 4th
« on: July 05, 2004, 09:55:51 AM »

Well where to start.  Fished the Fraser on Sunday, had my first hook up on the 5th cast, I had lost it due to a boat below us anchored to far out on the bar.  I had a good look at it, about a 12lb Chinook.  My buddy caught 5 sockeye.  My dad hooked one Chinook but lost it.  There was a boat doing drift sets with a gill net all the way down the length of the bar, I couldn’t believe they would do that, they were wearing full camo gear.  Now to the good part.  I hooked up again, the fish was on, and then slack.  I had thought I lost it, started reeling and there it was, this fish swam straight up river like a freight train.  So I yell to my dad get the boat!  We jump in and next thing we know we are drifting down the middle of the Fraser.  Having no idea what a battle we were in for.  We caught up to the fish, then this thing flipped/jumped, my jaw dropped.  This fish was huge!  After 5 miles of drifting, chasing, avoiding boats, logs, shallow riffles, and 3 missed netting attempts, the fish came up, my dad made his move, head first, right into the net, the damn tail end wouldn't fit the net.  We weighed it on a scale that wasn't the greatest of quality, and it weighed out at 44lbs, I don't know how accurate it was.  I figure that battle lasted about 1 minute per pound.  What a rush.  I prayed to the fish gods that this wouldn't turn out to be some old lost fish story.  I have pictures of the fish, and will try to post sometime this week.  Three trips to the Fraser, three fish on the liscence ;D.   Now on to the Vedder.  Fished it on Saturday for a couple of hours, covered lots of water, caught a five pound dolly, and two sockeye.  Fish were released gently.  I saw a few Chinook caught, but no hookups for me, they are definitely there, just cover lots of water until you find them.  They are very aggressive fish, there is no need to see people fishing betty's and 10 ft. leaders on the Vedder.  I saw at least half a dozen people fishing this way.  My buddy also stopped a guy from bonking a sockeye.  He was just about to rip the gills on the fish when my buddy stopped him and gave him s#it.  
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 11:14:06 PM by Rodney »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re:Fraser/Vedder
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 10:41:26 AM »

Nice story, looking forward to seeing the pictures.

_Ivan_

• Fish for life. <*)))))>(
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 10:42:01 AM »

WOW  :o  :o   :o :o :o 44 pounds thats a nice fish. And thanxs for the report.
"Damn coho they're hard to catch." <*)))))>(

spring_killer

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 12:19:51 PM »

wow, thats a huge fish. Cant wait to see the pics.  8)   ;D