Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bad Luck For Me on Fraiser  (Read 1832 times)

SP123

Bad Luck For Me on Fraiser
« on: July 04, 2004, 08:37:36 PM »

Fished both Friday and Sunday (today) with no luck. Fished all morning at grassy on Friday at the middle of the bar (the other way). Two rods from my boat = 0 fish. Bottom of the bar seemed to be catching most of the fish. Fishing really died down in the afternoon. Ran up to peg leg in the afternoon, but caught alot of snags.
Decided to go plunking today as the water is dropping and clearing. Fished below Harrison river and water looked perfect. There was at least a foot of vis. Tried some spinners, kwickfish, glows, prawns, roe = 0 fish (3 lines). Fished till about 12:30, then decided to run down to grassy and bottom bounce. Fished there for the rest of the afternoon = 0 fish (with 3 lines). Seen a few caught. Heard it was good around 11:00.
I have gone the last 4 weekends with at least catching one spring but nothing this weekend. Time to shave my bread in hopes to change my luck. Maybe even cleaning my boat may help. One more weekend on the Fraiser then I'm off to the Skeena River for the big puppies. Hope I do better there.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re:Bad Luck For Me on Fraiser
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 08:53:50 PM »

Shave your BREAD?? ;D

To save typing time Fishing the other way is now known as TOW.

Have a good trip on the Skenna. Do they TOW there? ;D ;D

SP123

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 09:04:55 PM »

You know what last year some guys started to bottom bounce with long leaders.  But this is not necessary as the skeena has a nice teal green color with up to 3 feet of vis and sometimes more. The fish are very aggressive and willing to attack or eat anything they see. Guys do quite well bar fishing with spinning glos and roe, but backtrolling is by far the best technique. If only I cound get the Fraiser springs to bite, I'd be laughing.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 09:05:51 PM by SP123 »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 09:20:58 PM »

If only I cound get the Fraiser springs to bite, I'd be laughing.
If you spend some time bar fishing you will have success and it makes you feel real good knowing the fish has taken your #0 Doctor. The thrill of the bell ringing, launching from the comfort of your lawn chair (most likely eating or having a pop in your hand at the time of the bite) the rush to the rod in inticipation of a spring of unknown size and the ensuing battle as you bring the fish easily to the net or the beach.( Am working myself up for a bar fishing adventure tomorrow, less than 9 hours to go, I can see Leaf Craft #1 waiting patiently and ready to roll now in the garage. ;D ;D ;D)

No worry how to net the fish out of the boat with a 12 foot or longer leader downstream of you, that that is dangerous to say the least, having to stand and some how getting the TOW leader close enought to the boat to land it.

One of many reason:

No TOWing for me. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 09:22:35 PM by chris gadsden »

Jimmy

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 09:35:24 PM »

chris:

When bar fishing what length of leader ar you using?

We tried on Saturday and used a 6 ft leader Is this long enought or too long?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 09:53:13 PM »

I use 3 to 4 feet of 40 to 50 pound test as leader. Two reasons for this poundage of leader: it does not tangle as much when throwing it out. When using a number 0 Doctor the friction of it spinning on the leader after a few hours starts to burn through the line thus weakening it.

With this leader you do not have to change it too often. After a few hours if you rub your fingers over the line you will feel the knick.

I have lost the odd spring over the years by being too lazy to change it when it became burned. Would fight the fish for a while then pop as the line seperates.  :'(I used 20 to 30 until a few years ago and now the thicker leader works better on all counts.. Hope this helps.

Jimmy

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 07:09:17 AM »

I have been fishing the other way mostly. I found that I was walking around the bar with the rod out of the water BSing and what not. So I will be bring both set ups on Saturday.

It will be the first day out on the water by myself this year, everytime out I have been with someome.So if anyone sees the 12 ft with saying field tester on the side come over and say hi.