Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anybody ever heard of a co-nuck?  (Read 3203 times)

Redeye

• I'm a llama!
Anybody ever heard of a co-nuck?
« on: October 14, 2004, 01:02:25 PM »

So has anybody here ever heard or seen a co-nuck?  I remeber there was a big thing about it a while back because fishermen down by the coast of Oregon were catching salmon that they called the co-nuck, but when they got to shore, fisheries there nailed them with a fine for keeping wild coho.

The fisherman claimed the fish to be a cross breed between cohos and chinooks.  I think fisheries there were planning to do some testing on the fish but then I lost track of the story.

I'm not sure of all the details myself. but was just wondering if anybody else has ever heard of such a thing.  Could it be a jack spring they are talking about??? ???

MERC

• Old Timer
President Club S. C. & P.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Re: Anybody ever heard of a co-nuck?
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 03:59:21 PM »

I heard of something else called a "pinook" (pink/chinook), I heard that they occur naturally in some rivers north of the BC border (Alaska), or something like that.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 04:10:41 PM »

Cool post Redeye, never heard of a co-nuck though. I have heard of those pinooks though. A great lakes anomoly where pinks supposedly mated with chinook. I'm not sure if this was an April fools day fishing show I saw it on.

They caught lots of these little guys(2-6 lbs) & they looked very much like chinook jacks. The interesting part (as told by the narrarator) was that all the specimens were male & thought to be infertile. Me thinks those easterners were just being introduced to a large run of spring jacks. Any eastern input?

habzrule

• ====00=====
    • Make great money online in your spare time
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 04:50:16 PM »

Never heard 'em...caught Chinook and Coho in Lake Ontario and Erie , how about Splake though?  These one I have caught in Ontario...ministry creation...mix between lake trout and speckled trout.
http://members.shaw.ca/consumerforce/index.html : Best way to make some extra cash for fishing

TtotheE

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 07:27:27 PM »

Some BC lakes were once stocked with splake,  according to Mussio Ventures.

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 09:11:50 AM »

Caught some splake in Alice Lake, back in the day. Lazy little buggers, more sluggish than dolly's.