Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Liberals want to cut $4 Million from Fisheries Enhancement  (Read 6487 times)

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
Liberals want to cut $4 Million from Fisheries Enhancement
« on: October 14, 2004, 07:05:35 AM »

I read this morning in the Vancouver Sun that the Conservatives have leaked an internal DFO document stating that they want to cut $4 Million from Salmonid Enhancement.  The minister responsible (Geoff Regan) would not deny it. >:(

Another reason to not vote liberal next election.  $4M is .004 of the surplus this year >:(

When are these federal bone heads going to wake up!  This is how Paul Martin wants to win back western alienation?

The federal liberals better not send someone to my door before the next election.

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re: Liberals want to cut $4 Million from Fisheries Enhancement
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 07:12:27 AM »

Absolutely amazing grumman. But that's government for you. Putting our tax dollars into spins that just wast away
and send us further into debt. and then when you have something so vital as our fisheries they take money away from it. Doesn't make much sense does. Sure leaves me scratching my little ole head.

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 09:12:38 AM »

$4 million more dollars for the governal general to spend on herself  ::)

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 10:36:25 AM »

We all know who or which party has accumulated the massive debt.  The debt have to be payed.  This is the reason why there has been massive cut back on expenditures in the last 7 or 8 years.  The debt have to be payed so that the future generation does not have to face the burden of the massive debt.  I think the Liberals have done a great job in areas of finance.

Increase in health expenditures is very important.  We have to keep the work force healthy and productive.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

geo

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 11:28:50 AM »

We all know who or which party has accumulated the massive debt.  The debt have to be payed.  This is the reason why there has been massive cut back on expenditures in the last 7 or 8 years.  The debt have to be payed so that the future generation does not have to face the burden of the massive debt.  I think the Liberals have done a great job in areas of finance.

Increase in health expenditures is very important.  We have to keep the work force healthy and productive.

Regardless of who accumulated the debt, because the Liberals were just as guilty as the previous incompetant gov't, just look at good ol' Jean in his last year spending like a drunken sailor. They want to make cuts in an industry, sportfishing, which brings in how many millions every year? 4 million is a drop in the bucket in comparison. They basically let the east coast go to $hit, why would they even bat an eye to letting the west coast follow the same road? Our feds have always overlooked the western provinces. Making it a provincial responsibility might help, but under our present prov. gov't, they would be more interested in funding the fish farms, than funding the rehabilitation of existing fisheries and hatchery programs. While I agree the increases should go to health care, money has to also go to the promotion of tourism. Our fisheries are a huge part of that.

Uncivil

• 'Geers on Gear
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 12:12:19 PM »

Can someone correct me about this but I glanced at the paper this morning I read it as they were cutting the budget from $25 million to $4 million.   ???
We can build it, take me to your Banker!

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 12:57:35 PM »

The federal liberal government has been so plagued with scandals it's disgusting. The list goes on and on in numerous cases where they have wasted MASSIVE amounts of our money. There forking out $2 billlion dollars just so we have a number assigned to a gun, numbers on guns don't save lives! The sponorship scandal has cost us 100's of millions of dollars. Hopefully the federal liberal goverment falls soon so we can elect them out Ottawa next time around. As costly as it is to have an election, keeping them in power is costing us more with wasteful spending.

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 02:28:30 PM »

The liberal supluses are a joke. They purposely predict low at the beginning of the fiscal year so it always looks like they have a surplus and are doing well. Even if they were to have a surplus, wasteful spending is still not tolerable.

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 03:08:22 PM »

Uncivil, they are cutting the $25 mil by $4mil, not to $4mil.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 03:31:52 PM »

Making salmon a provinvial responsibility would take an amendment to the BNA act of 1867... not gonna happen. :-\

The British North American Act (BNA Act) is gone via the dodo bird.

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 08:02:38 PM »

thats ok the natives are the stewarts of the land
and they will look after the resource for eternity ;D

i saw it in a poll so it must be so ??? :o :o

The Gilly

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 11:18:02 AM »

We all know who or which party has accumulated the massive debt. The debt have to be payed. This is the reason why there has been massive cut back on expenditures in the last 7 or 8 years. The debt have to be payed so that the future generation does not have to face the burden of the massive debt. I think the Liberals have done a great job in areas of finance.

Increase in health expenditures is very important. We have to keep the work force healthy and productive.
:-X
Paul Martin bennefitted from the set up given to him from the Conservatives.  I did not post this to bring up old arguments of who did what, but to bring to light a current and important issue. If you want to look at deficit financing, then lets start with Pierre Elliot Trudeau and his finance minister Jean Cretien, they started it!
I'd pe pissed at the conservatives if they did this to our resource as well

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 12:06:40 PM »

Paul Martin bennefitted from the set up given to him from the Conservatives.  I did not post this to bring up old arguments of who did what, but to bring to light a current and important issue. If you want to look at deficit financing, then lets start with Pierre Elliot Trudeau and his finance minister Jean Cretien, they started it!
I'd pe pissed at the conservatives if they did this to our resource as well

grumman, I recommend reading about the history of fisheries on the west coast of Canada.  You will see that they harvested millions and millions of tones.  There is also the Hell's Gate disaster.  Please correlate it with who and which party is in power at the time.  ;)  I am sure you will change your tune about the conservatives as being good to the fisheries in BC (If you really care about the fisheries in BC).
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

habzrule

• ====00=====
    • Make great money online in your spare time
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 12:34:20 PM »

C'mon guys...let's try and be somewhat reasonable.  There are areas in which that $4 million needs to be spent...areas which are much more important than a few extra fish swimming around.  For instance, that money can go towards fuel for the lemon submarines we bought from mamma England.  We all know we need to protect our waters against the German U boats, and now we have the ability to do just that.  Oh no wait...that was WWII...oh well, we have the subs now anyways so lets gas 'em up and cruise around...I hope they run well.  Shotgun.
http://members.shaw.ca/consumerforce/index.html : Best way to make some extra cash for fishing

The Gilly

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004, 03:57:23 PM »

grumman, I recommend reading about the history of fisheries on the west coast of Canada.  You will see that they harvested millions and millions of tones.  There is also the Hell's Gate disaster.  Please correlate it with who and which party is in power at the time.  ;)  I am sure you will change your tune about the conservatives as being good to the fisheries in BC (If you really care about the fisheries in BC).
Did I say I was happy with the conservatives ???  I thought I was concerned that the DFO was going to cut $4M from salmonid enhancement.  The Liberals happen to hold the power today and the DFO is currently under their watch.  Therefore, I blame the Liberals.  If the Conservatives are in power tomorrow, I'll blame them.  This has nothing to do with party affiliation and everything to do with salmonid enhancement.  As for if I care about fisheries in BC...I wrote 6 letters to Geoff Regan et.al. this summer and will be writing another.  I do care!