Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Passion! <Sturgeon Fishing>  (Read 4507 times)

habzrule

• ====00=====
    • Make great money online in your spare time
Passion! <Sturgeon Fishing>
« on: October 13, 2004, 03:47:05 PM »

speaking of passion and fishing...I agree with bigguy except my take on it is we should be harnessing this energy and using it to teach habzrule how and where to catch a bigarse sturgeon.  I saw a show on them a while back and am hooked!  Is Sturgeon considered a coarse fish?  Should I be asking in coarse fish cafe?  Man... what pound test would u need for those beasts??!!  I want to catch something that takes 2 people to hold   :P   
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 11:49:15 PM by Rodney »
http://members.shaw.ca/consumerforce/index.html : Best way to make some extra cash for fishing

Sandhead

Re: Passion!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 04:00:28 PM »

Sturgeon? All you need is some killa roe, 60lb or 80lb test and a rod/reel setup that is designed for it. Then you go out on the fraser, rig everything up with a 16oz weight and fire it in the water. Place the rod in the holder, burn one if you got them and sit back and wait for the tell tale sign of the sturgeon bite, tap tap tap and then you set the hookup. Man I wish i was out on the river, I'd do anything to get out of work today... lol
Ain't no HO like a COHO

habzrule

• ====00=====
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 04:05:51 PM »

can they be caught from shore??? 
http://members.shaw.ca/consumerforce/index.html : Best way to make some extra cash for fishing

Sandhead

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 04:13:07 PM »

Maybe, I've never seen one caught from shore but I dont see why not. My understanding of sturgeon has them occupying deep water say over 20 feet
Ain't no HO like a COHO

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 04:18:34 PM »

I catch em from shore.Course, I dont inhale anymore either.

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 04:48:11 PM »

To be honest I have hooked three sturgeon at scale bar! Landed two.  One was about three feet the other just a bit bigger!  This is not a fish story!  They hang out where i like to fish at the bottom of the run in slower water!  I hooked two on my retrieve but they were snagged in the back! I stopped doing that when I figured that i was snagging them but it was still kind of cool! 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 11:49:38 PM by Rodney »

habzrule

• ====00=====
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 05:17:24 PM »

hehe I hear you guys  ;D

OK that's it.  Before I spend another dollar on a rod or reel I am going to buy a cheap boat.  What would your opinions be on the smallest boat/motor size that would allow a person to fish the fraser/stave/vedder etc?  I mean can ya fish the fraser with a 14" aluminum and 20 Hp motor?

FishiN AddicT

• WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 07:38:11 PM »

can they be caught from shore??? 
Caught 2 last year off the shore of Isle 22 (no longer exists?)  One was about 3 feet (no problem landing) and the other was huge, but never got to see it.  If you hook on one of these monsters, it's very hard to land to shore.  Mind you, i wasn't targeting sturgeon and wasn't using the proper gear.  My line just took off and almost all 200 yds on the spool was taken.  All i could do was hold on and hope my rod doesn't break.  After about 20 mins fighting this monster, i decided to try and break the line off.  I didn't want to take a chance of my rod breaking or losing all my line.

Good luck when you go out for these monsters....it is quite an adrenaline rush  :o

joedavis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 08:05:09 PM »

Habz....You can catch sturgeon on some of the bars a few kms above Mission on the north side and the south side. You need a stout rod, heavy line, bar rig and a rod holder. Roe, dew worms and ditch eels work great. Bring a chair. If you go with friends bring a small fold-up table and a deck of cards.

F4L, not all tackleboxers are beeks. I know an older guy in his 70's who carries a tackle box because a fishing vest with all the gear in it is too heavy on his neck and back. He driftfishes as well as anyone and catches his share of cohos (he's got 6 I think). He's a great steelheader as well. I have seen more than my share of guys who are decked out with their Simms G3 waders, fancy boots and Sage rods who cannot catch a coho if their lives depended on it, and they'll beek in on you as soon as you catch one. Then they get on the cell phone and tell all their friends to come to your spot and as a group they gradually push you out. That's what I call real beekos. Also lots of the tackleboxers are Fraser river fishermen and they are on the Vedder because the Fraser has been closed. Not all tackleboxers are beginners either and should not be stigmatized as such.

habzrule

• ====00=====
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 08:05:29 PM »

thanks!
It looks like a blast!!!  Man I would love to hook something that big!  Sounds like you need bolt your lawn chair down and strap in, to land one of those