Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: short floating  (Read 2532 times)

amf17

• I'm a llama!
short floating
« on: October 10, 2004, 02:54:12 PM »

Rodney,

I rarely post on this message board but I read posts daily to check out what's been happening on the local rivers.  I have a question about short floating.  I keep hearing you guys talk about it all the time.

I do have some success fishing the vedder for coho, but i was wondering about how to increase my chances of success.  My current "strategy" for coho fishing in the vedder is about a 12-15" leader with a small piece of wool.  Then i usually just use the regular pencil lead/ float combo and fish so i'm just off the bottom.  I do have some success this way but i was wondering how i would change my rig to do this so called "short floating".  Does it just consist of lowering your float so your not on the bottom or do you change up your pencil lead/leader section at all.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Andrew

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Re: short floating
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 02:58:47 PM »

Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: short floating
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 11:34:23 PM »

Luck has a lot to do with it, many others who are out there float fishing usually hook more than me. :) In fact, my friend Luke who just got into this has been hooking more fish than me every trip but failed to land most of them. ;)

I like to fish light... Very light in fact. I usually carry several different sizes of floats. Drennans in 11 gram and 20 gram. Rarely I go beyond that. I use a sliding weight... instead of having a pencil lead inserted into a tube, which dangles and occasionally tangles with the leader. My leader is also around 12 to 14. The only difference I can see is that I use roe most of the time... Procured chum, coho roe... Sometimes roe sacs. :)