Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hook Sharpening  (Read 5581 times)

Darko

• Old Timer
Hook Sharpening
« on: October 29, 2021, 09:17:21 PM »

Hello everyone, I was wondering if any of you guys carry hook sharpeners or files on you while you're fishing and if you actually sharpen your hooks. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it but was wondering. For those who do, have you noticed a difference after you started sharpening your hooks after a bit of use or abuse?
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

blueback

Re: Hook Sharpening
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 09:28:22 PM »

Absolutely! I alway carry a small hook sharpening stone. Can make the difference between getting a fish or losing it.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 10:45:32 PM »

Absolutely! I alway carry a small hook sharpening stone. Can make the difference between getting a fish or losing it.

X2

This is what I use:

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/SE-SS71-3-1-4-Sharpening-Stone-for-Fishing-Hooks/PRD4Y72TK9NW9BM

It lives in my vest pocket and doubles as a knife sharpener for my Leatherman multi-tool.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 07:32:43 AM »

I use an eze lap diamond  grit sharpener.

https://www.amazon.ca/EZE-LAP-Sharpener-Unique-Shape-Groove/dp/B0001WP21Y

dump the pen top, drill a hole in the handle and put it on a lanyard or retractable stringer. I also keep one on my tying desk. There is nothing better.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bj23

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 08:55:17 AM »

RalphH . . . .  That's the one!

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 09:06:41 AM »

I carry a small file for sharpening hooks.

More so for flies as they take some effort and time to tie so I put some extra effort to keep em sharp to get some more use out of them. Regular gear hooks I’ll touch up as needed but I’ll swap them out sooner.

jim

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 09:10:09 AM »

A lot of the new hooks are bent inwards and never touch a rock. they are also lazer sharpened, so don't need sharpening. the older hooks need sharpening! a small file is good, or a small stone. i keep the stone in the vest but file stays home as they rust quickly.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 09:10:55 AM »

Allways have a file nearby.
One attached to my vest and one attached to the boat seat.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 04:41:15 PM »

thanks, everyone for your thoughtful responses. I ordered myself a small sharpening stone  8)
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

roeman

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 07:02:59 PM »

Never seen the point of sharpening a hook,  fish a lure, jig or whatever you use for a few hours and hook some fish, a few snags then put the hook on your lip and give it a tug,  pretty sure it will still go thru no problem.
Are you fishin or catchin

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2021, 07:15:44 PM »

Never seen the point of sharpening a hook,  fish a lure, jig or whatever you use for a few hours and hook some fish, a few snags then put the hook on your lip and give it a tug,  pretty sure it will still go thru no problem.

on average - how many fish do you land per outing. Specifically rivers with salmon.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2021, 07:53:25 PM »

I use an eze lap diamond  grit sharpener.

https://www.amazon.ca/EZE-LAP-Sharpener-Unique-Shape-Groove/dp/B0001WP21Y

dump the pen top, drill a hole in the handle and put it on a lanyard or retractable stringer. I also keep one on my tying desk. There is nothing better.
What’s the biggest hook that groove will accommodate, Ralph?

sbc hris

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2021, 09:05:21 PM »

Did you ever consider coho who very subtly mouth roe, or trout who gently sample chironomids? Some fish have your presentation in and out of their mouths before you even know they were there. Sharp hooks have a much higher chance of hooking these fish when they try to quickly expel your offering. But go ahead, keep fishing dull hooks  ;)

DanTfisherman

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2021, 09:36:47 PM »

I also feel that a sharp hook instills an extra bit of confidence in your presentation.
Whenever I fish, if I feel there has been a hard bump, a bit of a snag on bottom, hooked a log and got off, or whatever, I give the hook point a test.
If I put the hook on my thumbnail and it slides off and will not grab, it needs to be sharpened.
I use a hook file and run it toward the point on each side once, then towards the point on the front edge of the hook.
Re-do thumb nail test and away I go.

Dano

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2021, 10:09:32 PM »

Yaaaaaaa......sure, a dull hook will still catch a fish. Much like a dull knife will still gut/fillet a fish. But a sharp knife does a better job, and so does a sharp hook. Especially on those fish where you don't get a great hook set, a sharp hook will sink in deeper. Could make the difference between a lost fish and a landed fish. Every good angler I know carriers a hook file.
I've experimented with different types. I find the small diamond files do a great job, better than a stone IMO. If it has the hook groove in the file great, if it does not no big deal. As already said I find a couple swipes upwards on the sides then a couple on the front will touch the hook up really well. Should be "sticky sharp" and stick into your fingernail without much pressure.