Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What line to buy..  (Read 3997 times)

qescott

What line to buy..
« on: October 15, 2011, 12:24:49 PM »

I need new line for my 8 wt salmon rod. I need line that can handle chum, coho ect.. and I'd like to keep relatively cheap if possible. Seeing as how I'm a new angler I don't wanna be whipping $60+ line around getting it all messed up. Thanks.

fishfulthinkin

Re: What line to buy..
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »

I would reccomend a versitip system. A bit of a chunk of change upfront but you're going to want the versatility to get into the specific water columns.
Cheaper than buying 3 or 4 different full lines in the long run. For the river your going to want at minimum a floating line and a type II, but for deep faster water a type II
may not be enough of a sink rate. Comes down to catching the odd fish compared to the chance of catching more fish

There was an 8wt Rio Versitip system for sale by a member on here not long ago for $100. Saves you $34 or so
may be worth your while to splurge on the line. It may be the most important pieces of gear you'll need to get you into a fish. A cheaper rod and reel can catch fish
but if your expensive rod and reel can't get you into the zone then you may as well use a stick and twine

just my opinion of course and there are some other options that others will point out to you. This is just my preference

RG

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 08:28:57 AM »

I was in the same situation and I decided to go the versatip route for my 8wt, very happy with that choice.  On the other hand, I think I spent $35 on creating virtually the same thing with attaching my own loops and getting a couple of sink tips for my 5wt. 

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 12:20:26 PM »

the only problem with creating your own is it may not be ballanced correctly since the running line isnt made for the specific tips. You could then develope
bad casting habits, especially as a beginner

roseph

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 03:18:55 PM »

+1 on a versitip system. 

For my 8wt I have a versitip and one full clear intermediate (coho) line.  Since having this setup I haven't had any situations where I wasn't able to fish.

iCemAn

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 09:35:31 PM »

I run versitip on my 8wt for salmon, but if money is the issue I would also consider a Streamertip (have this setup for my 7wt) / clear intermediate sink.
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 02:09:55 PM »

Buy a cheap WF floating line and cut off the tip. Put a braided loop at the end of the tip section. Reinforce the braided loop with one or two nail knots made with 6-pound mono.
Now put a braided loop on the butt of the floating tip and you got your first exchangeable tip (floater).

Go to the fishing store and buy 20 feet of T-8 and 20 feet of T-14 and cut them in three pieces: 4', 6', 10' . Put the braided loop as above and voila, you got three different intermediate and three fast sinking tips that will cover 90 percent of fishable water.
A true multi-tip at a fraction of a Rio setup.

And if you want to get really fancy, you can even buy an extra ghost tip (15-20 bucks depending on the store).

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 05:33:40 PM »

buy a sage bass line. 330grain for 50$ then put a welded loop on it. Then buy 3 versi tip leaders, 3.5 5.8 and 8.0 inches per second sinking rate. attach them to the welded loop and now you have sinking tips that cast really well overhead for fishing salmon and they are tapered so they turn over and cast decently. I also find that the sage bass line casts really well with the heavier tips on it and it can be used for single hand spey casting pretty well.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 06:33:55 PM »

SA Headstart.  Cheap, easy to cast floating line.  Use a long tapered leader and weighted flies, or make your own tips as milo suggests.  Both will work.  I know some guys that use floating lines for just about everything successfully.

qescott

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 10:00:38 PM »

Thanks everyone! Great advice, I'll be heading out to highwater tackle tomorrow to get outfitted :)

qescott

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 03:34:13 PM »

Alright guys, thanks for all the advice. I went to highwater and got all set up for about $45.