Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What weight - rod identification  (Read 2275 times)

Morty

What weight - rod identification
« on: March 20, 2010, 06:43:02 PM »

I've inherited a Dyna-Glass "Gold Medal" Featherweight fly rod from my grandfather.  He likely used it a lot when he fished Big Bar Lake in the 60's & 70's.  He used to go up there May 24 long weekend - take the 12' plywood boat, chain it up in a tree when he came home, and left it there the whole summer.  He went back and forth on long weekends and for a full week a couple of times each year.

Anyone out there know, or have an idea how I can determine the "weight" of this rod.  I'd sure like to catch some trout on Grandad's gear.

"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

D.Sams

Re: What weight - rod identification
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 12:07:34 AM »

I also inherited a rod from my Grandfather though, luckily, the weight was 'marked' above the grip.  As far as determining weight, I have no personal experience.  But a Google search did turn up this result...

http://flyfishing.suite101.com/article.cfm/how-to-determine-the-weight-of-a-fly-rod

Hopefully that helps - good luck, Morty.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 10:34:07 AM »

--good idea for checking wt. D.Sams
--take a look at st.croix or other manufactures sites and you will see a wall chart with graph paper... as you also want to take a look at the flex of the rod..slow to fast.
--many early glass rods used in BC interior were 8 wt med to slow action. there was no industry wide standard so often manufacturers supplied package deal with line and reel that would suit the rod.
--you may have to adjust your casting style significantly with this rod compared to many modern fast action rods.
--might want to conscider using a double taper rather than wt forward shooting head once you figure out what wt to use. 
-- for sure I always believe in fishing with these rods rather than having them nailed to the wall of a cabin.

--let us know how it works when you figure out the weight.

Morty

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 02:08:36 PM »

Thanks guys. 

The process on the web link you provided looks like a fun experiment.  I think I'll take their advice and go to the local postal outlet to have the washers weighed.

Good point on the casting style as well.  I hadn't thought of that and would likely have gotten quite frustrated without being aware of that difference.

THANK YOU both!!
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

D.Sams

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 04:33:17 PM »

You're welcome.  As Skaha said, let us know how it works when you figure out the weight!