Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly fishing course?  (Read 4427 times)

fengyuanfei

fly fishing course?
« on: May 05, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »

Hi, I got a rod, but wondered if anyone knows about lessons you can take?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: fly fishing course?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 11:03:45 AM »

Just phone your local tackle shop. Most shops offer casting lessons. Hatch Matchers in Maple Ridge has a few fly fishing courses coming up. 604-467-7118

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 03:02:10 PM »

go with  Sea-Run..........604-931-5044

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 03:15:56 PM »

I offer classes in Surrey.

Call me

Rick Passek 604-722-0491
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 10:31:44 PM »

At "Reel Life," here in Mission, we offer a number of different classes to suite most needs. All include actual fishing time and dare I say catching fish. No licence or equipment required we can supply it all. Call 1-604-820-4099.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 11:31:49 PM by newsman »
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 07:52:07 PM »

Try youtube, type in fly fishing lesson they have tons of video lessons watch the lesson find a field to practice casting and away you go and it doesn't cost a dime that's what i did worked great. sorry for giving the cheap idea guys but hey we are in a recession 100 bucks on lessons or a reel hmmmmm  ;)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 10:10:56 PM by k.c. »

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 10:31:38 PM »

In the interest of all those who offer fly fishing instruction I offer the following piece that i wrote for RP3.

Fly Fishing Classes; To Pay or Not To Pay?

You hear it all the time; come to our free fishing seminar or fly tying night, and like most novice anglers you go hoping to glean some free and useful knowledge. On some occasions you get something of value, unfortunately all too often these events turn out to be either club socials or somebody's pitch to sell their product. How do I know? Like everyone else who has "been there, done that"; I to, have attended too many of these events. Wishing, after I arrived, that I had stayed home. While these events can be fun at times, don’t expect to take home a lot of useful knowledge. Like the old adage says, “You get what you pay for”.

A wise angler knows that building on the knowledge of others will hasten ones desired results, but this wise motivation also leaves one open to the ploys of smooth talking pitchmen. What is a person to do with so much baffle gab and egoism out there? How is one to see his or her way through the endless barrage of hucksters each claiming to be “the” master angler, have the very best products, and know volumes more than everyone else? It’s a tough call; and as frustrating as it can be to the seasoned angler, you can multiply the frustration many times over for the novice.

The words “Just because someone thinks they know something, and comes up with some new fangled idea doesn’t make it so! What works, works, and what doesn’t, doesn’t; period!” were uttered by mentor Hal Staythers, after he out fished my wife and I, ten to one. Years later those words ring as true as they did the day Hal shared them. There is a reason why successful investors choose to invest in blue chip companies. It's called a proven track record that has been achieved over twenty years or more. Experience has taught me that solid knowledge never gets old or out dated. Knowledge that has proven it’s self successful over twenty, fifty, or even a hundred years tends to remain relevant day in day out. Anything less could turn out to be nothing more than smoke and mirrors. So we ask the question again, what does one do?     

One solution; is to go it alone disregarding the volumes of “stuff” out there, be it verbal, or in print. If one has the patience and a large supply of free time, the pioneer approach can be both an exciting and rewarding adventure. Unfortunately for the majority of us, time and circumstance do not allow this sort of extravagance.

Another solution is partner up with someone who has a reputation for knowing the ropes. If this person truly knows his or her stuff, the partner solution can be both time and cost effective. If however, this expert is not all they are cracked up to be, the leaning curve can become much longer and more difficult.

Both of the above solutions are positive in that they are both cost effective; in what can become (if you are not careful) a very expensive sport. The negative to these two solutions is the great amount of time that can be lost in getting to ones desired goal.

The other option is to purchase a fly fishing course. I use the word purchase instead of the word pay, because in our society are accustomed to paying mindlessly for things without question. However when we purchase something, it is customary to put some research into what we will receive for our money. So now the question is; what should we look for, or at, when purchasing instruction?

#1. Credentials (qualifications) of the instructor:

What qualifications does the instructor have to teach?
 Does he or she possess any licenses or certification?
 Can the instructor offer a relevant profile, references, and time proven (5 years or more), consistent success?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

#2. Course content:

What is offered?
 Is it relevant and applicable to your needs?
 Is the language understandable?
 Does the instructor go into enough detail on each subject to cover most unspoken questions?
 Does the instructor encourage questions and feed back?
 Does the course cover factors not commonly thought of, like equipment maintenance and water safety?
 Does the instructor offer a phone number and/or email address for further questions?
 Does the instructor encourage his or her students to seek out the knowledge of others, to help round out the student’s knowledge?                                                                                                                                                                               

#3. Price:

What is the cost of the course?
What is the cost break down per hour?
Is there enough practical instruction in time provided to make the course cost relevant?
Is the price all inclusive or are there extras, i.e. textbooks, equipment rentals, meals, lodging, etc.

#4. Other considerations:

Does this course truly offer you what you want or would another course suit you better?
Is the instructor’s teaching style and personality compatible with your learning style?
Do you like the instructor?

Fly fishing is a both a rewarding and entertaining sport which is supposed to be fun; unfortunately it is also a cutthroat multi-million dollar industry. So "caveat empty" (Buyer Beware); It's your time and your money you are sending. Don't let someone else tell you what to do. You know what you want out of this sport; so make your own decisions.

Jeff Weltz

canuckjgc

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 04:06:17 PM »

I will second the suggestion to watch the YouTube videos, get a book or two and do it yourself.  Truly, it is not rocket science.  If you are half way coordinated you will be fine.  In my first afternoon I was casting 25ft in my backyard, no bad tangles.  A very good casting rod goes a long way.  The basic casts are easy.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 05:48:07 PM »

25ft does not get to the end of the taper. 

Any qualified instructor would tell you to start with 30 feet of line and work form there. Your line tapper (where the casting weight of your fly line) is in the first 30 feet of your fly line.

With proper instruction you should be able to cast 50 to 60 feet of line within an hour. Wouldn't you agree Rick?

jimmywits

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 04:22:40 PM »

Hello,
 Welcome to a fantastic sport.The best advice I ever got starting flyfishing was to purchase a fly fishing bible called the Gilly.This book is the most useful tool for any angler but especially beginners. It consists of a compilation of the best known and reveered fly anglers in B.C. all contributing chapters on the various aspects and techniques of fly fishing. Save yourself a pile of money and
deception and obtain a copy of this book. It came in hard cover or soft,and the publisher/editor/main author was a man by the name of Alf Davy. This book will literally give you all the instruction you need to become a competant flyfisher.   Good luck to you

jimmywits

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 04:26:49 PM »

In the interest of all those who offer fly fishing instruction I offer the following piece that i wrote for RP3.

Fly Fishing Classes; To Pay or Not To Pay?

You hear it all the time; come to our free fishing seminar or fly tying night, and like most novice anglers you go hoping to glean some free and useful knowledge. On some occasions you get something of value, unfortunately all too often these events turn out to be either club socials or somebody's pitch to sell their product. How do I know? Like everyone else who has "been there, done that"; I to, have attended too many of these events. Wishing, after I arrived, that I had stayed home. While these events can be fun at times, don’t expect to take home a lot of useful knowledge. Like the old adage says, “You get what you pay for”.

A wise angler knows that building on the knowledge of others will hasten ones desired results, but this wise motivation also leaves one open to the ploys of smooth talking pitchmen. What is a person to do with so much baffle gab and egoism out there? How is one to see his or her way through the endless barrage of hucksters each claiming to be “the” master angler, have the very best products, and know volumes more than everyone else? It’s a tough call; and as frustrating as it can be to the seasoned angler, you can multiply the frustration many times over for the novice.

The words “Just because someone thinks they know something, and comes up with some new fangled idea doesn’t make it so! What works, works, and what doesn’t, doesn’t; period!” were uttered by mentor Hal Staythers, after he out fished my wife and I, ten to one. Years later those words ring as true as they did the day Hal shared them. There is a reason why successful investors choose to invest in blue chip companies. It's called a proven track record that has been achieved over twenty years or more. Experience has taught me that solid knowledge never gets old or out dated. Knowledge that has proven it’s self successful over twenty, fifty, or even a hundred years tends to remain relevant day in day out. Anything less could turn out to be nothing more than smoke and mirrors. So we ask the question again, what does one do?     

One solution; is to go it alone disregarding the volumes of “stuff” out there, be it verbal, or in print. If one has the patience and a large supply of free time, the pioneer approach can be both an exciting and rewarding adventure. Unfortunately for the majority of us, time and circumstance do not allow this sort of extravagance.

Another solution is partner up with someone who has a reputation for knowing the ropes. If this person truly knows his or her stuff, the partner solution can be both time and cost effective. If however, this expert is not all they are cracked up to be, the leaning curve can become much longer and more difficult.

Both of the above solutions are positive in that they are both cost effective; in what can become (if you are not careful) a very expensive sport. The negative to these two solutions is the great amount of time that can be lost in getting to ones desired goal.

The other option is to purchase a fly fishing course. I use the word purchase instead of the word pay, because in our society are accustomed to paying mindlessly for things without question. However when we purchase something, it is customary to put some research into what we will receive for our money. So now the question is; what should we look for, or at, when purchasing instruction?

#1. Credentials (qualifications) of the instructor:

What qualifications does the instructor have to teach?
 Does he or she possess any licenses or certification?
 Can the instructor offer a relevant profile, references, and time proven (5 years or more), consistent success?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

#2. Course content:

What is offered?
 Is it relevant and applicable to your needs?
 Is the language understandable?
 Does the instructor go into enough detail on each subject to cover most unspoken questions?
 Does the instructor encourage questions and feed back?
 Does the course cover factors not commonly thought of, like equipment maintenance and water safety?
 Does the instructor offer a phone number and/or email address for further questions?
 Does the instructor encourage his or her students to seek out the knowledge of others, to help round out the student’s knowledge?                                                                                                                                                                               

#3. Price:

What is the cost of the course?
What is the cost break down per hour?
Is there enough practical instruction in time provided to make the course cost relevant?
Is the price all inclusive or are there extras, i.e. textbooks, equipment rentals, meals, lodging, etc.

#4. Other considerations:

Does this course truly offer you what you want or would another course suit you better?
Is the instructor’s teaching style and personality compatible with your learning style?
Do you like the instructor?

Fly fishing is a both a rewarding and entertaining sport which is supposed to be fun; unfortunately it is also a cutthroat multi-million dollar industry. So "caveat empty" (Buyer Beware); It's your time and your money you are sending. Don't let someone else tell you what to do. You know what you want out of this sport; so make your own decisions.

Jeff Weltz

Very good advice and well stated!

mci

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 02:17:31 PM »

Take a trip to Whistler and hook up with Brian at Whistler Fly Fishing. Within 10 minutes he had me break some old habits, change my stance and finally understand what the hell i was doing.

salmon river

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 05:34:09 PM »

Hi, I got a rod, but wondered if anyone knows about lessons you can take?

Where about are you?

I may be mixed up but did they not at one time, and maybe still do have them on the ponds at Central park in Burnaby? I am not sure if it is the City or a Fishing club that runs them but I do recall it but this was back in 2000.. I wonder who one would call?

Myself I sort of learned through trial and error but when i first fly fished it was the Elbow River in Calgary back in the 80's near the bow when I was visiting and I had a couple fellows there give me some pointers, as they saw me struggling lol, actually they gave quite a few pointers for which I was eternally grateful for. :) Never caught any of the Brown that were running but a few whitefish and they were fun. Heck any fish is fun to be quite honest. :)