Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what to do?  (Read 3372 times)

devon42

what to do?
« on: March 04, 2009, 07:09:01 PM »

well i just got a new fly rod and iv only tried fly fishing once so i got the basics down but i don't know where to go and i would like to try my new rod out.
where would be a good spot to start fishing anytime soon in the LML?

Banny

Re: what to do?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 08:12:25 PM »

You should hit the Harrison, Stave, or Fraser backwaters for some cutthroat trout.  Lots of casting room and beautiful fish :)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 08:12:31 PM »

Where are you and what kind of transportation do you have?  Makes a big difference if you can get around.

yamadirt 426

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 09:12:58 PM »

Where are you and what kind of transportation do you have?  Makes a big difference if you can get around.
Yes thats what I was thinking. More info and we can point you in the right direction. Like how far you want to go?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 01:20:08 AM »

Rainbow trout stocking is scheduled to begin next week in the Lower Mainland. These fish might not fight as well as wild trout in rivers, but the frequency of bites can keep the day interesting while you practice flycasting. Keep an eye on this thread as I will post up stocking updates once lakes are stocked.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=20043.0

Some lakes to try out include:

Sasamat Lake, the floating bridge is a good place for flycasting and catching fish can be easy if they are surfacing nearby.

Lafarge Lake, the beaches are good spots for flycasting, waders are necessary if you want more backcasting room.

Flycasting from shore is doable at the other lakes too, but backcasting space is limited. A float tube or pontoon boat would be advantageous if you have one.

If stocked lake trout fishing is not preferred, then cutthroat trout fishing would be the best alternative. Stave River should be fishing very well either now or in a few weeks. Both cutthroat trout and mountain whitefish should be plentiful on the surface. Casting space is also not too limited, especially on the east side of the river below the dam.

Fraser River between Chilliwack and Hope is another place to focus on. Spots that have easy access are pretty quiet this time of the year, very enjoyable. Cutthroat trout fishing is hit and miss, but when you hit them, it's often a pretty good day. On miss days, you'd just be practicing on your flycast.

devon42

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 07:42:06 AM »

thanks everyone for your input i might be hitting the stave in a few weeks hope ill get into some fish and if not i need the practice.
is up by the dam a good place to start or should i be going somewhere lower?

i have a boat but not to sure that i will be taking it out sooo I'm on foot out there for now.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 10:44:11 AM »

If you go in on the trailer park side and just start up near the dam you will have a good section of river to try. The park side is also good but i have found the trailer park side better most times. If you wanna hook the whitefish you will need very small minnow or egg patterns usually work pretty good and yes the cutties will go for them also  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

devon42

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 03:59:06 PM »

yeah i was wondering what a good size minnow would be for them cutties and white fish

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 06:30:40 PM »

It depends on where you live. The Stave, Harrison are good places to start. If you are closer to the surrey area, try Green Timbers lake.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 12:36:11 AM »

when it comes to Minnows most are around the same size (store bought) but they do have some smaller ones if you ask (sometimes not out in the open) I would say the average size is about an inch long max however i like to make sure i have one right down to only half inch in length  ;D which is pretty small  ;) also dont forget to take olive wooly buggers in sizes 8 to 12 they can save your day sometimes.

I will unlock some green timbers flies if your going to hit that lake....same flies apply to Lafarge also which is a nice lake to fish.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/