Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First nations ponder suits as alarm over sea lice spreads  (Read 2966 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
First nations ponder suits as alarm over sea lice spreads
« on: January 28, 2008, 05:21:15 PM »

Seeing as it's First Nations removing most of the gravel out of the Fraser maybe they need a suit to wear as well? 8) 

Lice not nice, but gravel removal not nice too.

First nations ponder suits as alarm over sea lice spreads

Stephen Hume
Special to the Sun

Monday, January 28, 2008

If British Columbia's wild salmon runs were damaged by a sea lice crisis similar to those in Norway, Scotland and Ireland, who should be accountable?

Chief Darren Blaney of the Xwemalhkwu First Nation figures government. So Blaney is urging fellow chiefs to start thinking about class action suits directed at governments constitutionally required to protect wild fish for first nations but which always seem to place industrial interests first.

"I've talked to some of the Sto:lo chiefs about it already," Blaney says. He plans to bring the idea forward again at a cross-border meeting of tribal chiefs and elders from around the Georgia Basin.

This year it's in Tulalip, Wash. Washington tribes share Fraser River sockeye stocks, so he may find sympathy south of the 49th parallel. Not to mention among upper Fraser bands who rely on sockeye runs for food.

He might even find common cause with sports anglers. They pay dearly to fish but are first to lose access while government approves gravel mining in prime rearing habitat, logging in watersheds and fish farms along migration routes.

"Everybody is concerned about the salmon stocks," Blaney said. "This year we only got seven fish each per household. Our neighbours south of us in Sliammon didn't get anything. For our ceremonial purposes this has a huge impact. Some of our elders wrote to me complaining about it."

When I met Blaney last week, news was already breaking about new peer-reviewed science to be published in April. It confirms sea lice infestations among baby wild salmon migrating past fish farms far beyond the Broughton Archipelago.

That hardly surprised Blaney. "The amount of fish farms in this area is bigger," he said. Besides, his band has partnered with the Georgia Strait Alliance and the Raincoast Conservation Foundation to research the prevalence of sea lice in traditional Xwemalhkwu territories in the Discovery Islands.

That research is preliminary but the biologist overseeing it told me it shows the same disturbing trends first noticed in the Broughton.

Concerns there were initially greeted with a chorus of boos. Yet work by Alexandra Morton turned out to be good enough for publication in some of the world's premier science journals.

Now the Xwemalhkwu are getting similar results in their traditional territories about 100 kilometres south of the Broughton.

"We simply followed what Alexandra Morton started," biologist Mike Price said. "We monitor 14 or 15 sites and sample every two weeks during the migration period."

Last year researchers collected 2,573 immature salmon. Almost half -- 41 per cent -- carried the parasites. Some individual smolts were literally covered. But the farther the samples were from active fish farms, the fewer the fish burdened with parasites.

Alarmingly, immature sockeye and immature herring appeared most vulnerable, with 62 per cent of the sockeye and 72 per cent of the herring carrying heavier loads of the parasites than chum or pinks.

Given the importance of these two species, this data will surely seize the attention of first nations on the Fraser and in Washington. Large numbers of Fraser sockeye smolts migrate to the open Pacific through the narrow passages in the Discovery Islands.

"I've been telling these Sto:lo guys that if there's a problem with sockeye returns to the Fraser, it's probably right over here," Blaney said.

If this new research sets off alarms among the Sto:lo, will the Nlaka'pamux, St'at'imc, Secwepemc, Chilcotin, Nadleh Whut'en, Nak/azdli and Lheidli-T'enneh be far behind?

Blaney's musings about defending first nations' interests in wild fish stocks through court action could take on a whole lot more weight and pretty darn quickly. If that happens, I doubt it will take long before the plight of wild salmon is linked to treaty talks.

"What's the point of signing a treaty with fish in it if there are no fish?" Blaney said. "We have a saying, 'He's generous with an empty basket.' "

"It gets tiring listening to these guys [in government]. I get tired of the discussions about the number of jobs [on fish farms]. The jobs are more important to them than the environment.

"It's insanity. If there's no environment, there are no jobs."

shume@islandnet.com

© The Vancouver Sun 2008
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

mattcass

Re: First nations ponder suits as alarm over sea lice spreads
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:03:28 PM »

Good to see Hume keeping the articles to the Sun flowing.

hotrod

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 06:46:58 AM »

Go get'em my brothers!
Thanks for the info. This might just be the punch that the Gov't cannot get around. Let's hope they shut them all down before the Olympics get here. I think now would be a good a time as any to make any ripples with the whole world watching. Our beloved premiere would have to sell all his fish farm stocks.

Hotrod

nosey

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 11:27:10 AM »

This is a good thing, when FN's and sporties agree on something save the ripping into other issues like gravel removal for other places.

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 03:23:07 PM »

troutbreath

thanks for taking the time to post all these cliips from the papers.please keep it up! :)
girls suck throw rocks at them!

salmon river

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 03:58:16 AM »

This may be the only way to get it stopped as according to polls Campbell has job security for a while and until he is gone or the courts rule against fish farms, they are here to stay.

mattcass

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 08:05:22 PM »

Fish farms are definitely here to stay, there's no getting away from that. It's the type of farming and where it happens that has to change. Closed-containment close to shore or move the open-net farms off-shore.

nosey

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 07:47:03 AM »

They've made the fish farms move out of the wild fish migration areas in Norway, Scotland, and Ireland, only after they did pretty well irreparable damage to the native runs there with pretty well the same sea lice problem that we are now facing here. Over in Europe it was the same companies pedaling the same line of B.S. as we are now hearing here. Why can't our governments accept the science that came out of the studies done over there and  keep these parasitically commercial ventures away from our wild salmon. The wild salmon in B.C. are a legacy to be passed down to future generations of British Columbians intact any if  politicians policies endanger such a legacy, barring the reinstatement of capital punishment they should at least face a severe jail term. I don't care how good their financial policies are, they are murdering the future of B.C. with short term thinking. I mean, really we can fine a poacher up to $100,000.00 for killing one specimen of one species can't we hold politicians criminally responsible for killing off entire runs of wild salmon with policies only designed to buy votes.
  Good for the FN's for trying to do something about it desperate times make for strange bedfellows.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 04:19:37 PM »

As far as I recall they moved to South American waters as well. Just in case they get kicked out of here. They can keep operating with the old harmful technique they're screwing this place up with. It's the cheeper way of fish farming. To be competitive they all seem to be hell bent on using it. Even if it is well known to be harmful to the other fish that aren't on a heavy diet of pesticides to keep the sea lice off them.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Jet

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 12:32:51 PM »

It's as though DFO likes fish farms more than wild stocks. Easier for them to manage. Maybe they'll give what's left of the wild stock's to the natives and let the fish farms keep net raising Atlantic's. I sure hope not. I heard the farming is growing at an
alarming rate and they're keeping their heads down and doing it quietly. 

allwaysfishin

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 07:17:53 PM »

This way of thinking by First Nations should be fully supported by the sportsfishing groups. I think our various sportsfishing representatives should publicly ally with local bands against open ocean fishfarming. We have a common ground here, and an opportunity to have local first nations recognize we can work with them on an issue of conservation that affects us all. And hopefully when it comes time for allocating fisheries on the fraser, we might get more consideration.

nosey

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 06:54:20 AM »

Well thought out post alwaysfishin, the sportsfishermen and the first nations peoples share the same concerns on more issues than a lot of people realize, if we keep on dealing with the FN's on an adversary basis we will lose, time and time again in court cases over the last 20 years the judiciary system has shown the sports fishermen carry very little weight in the eyes of the law makers of our country. Starting to work with first nations on items in which we do have common grounds might help us form alliances that could be beneficial to everyone in the future. We all seem to forget at times that the most important thing that needs to benefit here is the fish,it doesn't matter who's killing them if we're killing too many it has to stop.