Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-tidal portion of Fraser River closed for all salmon fishing  (Read 20183 times)

KevinR

Re: Non-tidal portion of Fraser River closed for all salmon fishing
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2013, 08:51:34 PM »

If this whole closure is because of bottom bouncing maybe someone can explain why they closed the tidal portion of the river too .Pretty sure you cant bottom bounce in the mud . >:(

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2013, 09:12:03 PM »

I was on the Fraser a few days ago and could not believe how warm the water was. One guy was fishing next to me in his shorts and I envied him as I was getting hot in my waders. I think DFO had no choice but to shut the river down as catch and released sockeyes would have tough time recovering in the warm water let alone get to their spawning grounds.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 09:16:24 PM by bigblue »

TNAngler

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2013, 06:44:05 AM »

If this whole closure is because of bottom bouncing maybe someone can explain why they closed the tidal portion of the river too .Pretty sure you cant bottom bounce in the mud . >:(

Also closed FN.  Perhaps while drift netting, they were also throwing out a bouncing betty.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2013, 07:35:07 AM »

It's going to be exciting tomorrow when I go to Gill Rd. hop in the boat to go look for my lost per scription glasses I lost a couple weeks ago in about a foot of water .We will see if the DFO swat team will be chasing me  :o .As stated in a previous post , people need to be more educated on what selected methods means .  As for this closure , I think it was only a matter of time before they closed it down . Might as well take the fly rod and try for trout  8) .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2013, 09:01:06 AM »

I hate that the river was closed -ish , I hate the reason that DFO have to do so ..far more! Folks I have a feeling that we'd better get use to the idea of closures, because whether we admit it or not, those stocks are in trouble.
low return, warmer than ideal water temps, does not bode well for the return cycles in the next 2-3-4 years.

edit: eijit spellin!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 09:03:30 AM by Sandy »
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

TNAngler

« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2013, 09:07:52 AM »

I hate that the river was closed -ish , I hate the reason that DFO have to do so ..far more! Folks I have a feeling that we'd better get use to the idea of closures, because whether we admit it or not, those stocks are in trouble.
low return, warmer than ideal water temps, does not bode well for the return cycles in the next 2-3-4 years.

edit: eijit spellin!

It sucks really bad but if it gives you any hope, the closures are coming years ahead of what WA did.  The runs do recover if they are able to shut it down completely and some of them in WA are starting to come back.  Some of the rivers there had only a couple pairs of spawners before they got shut down and they are just now getting up to a spot where  they are opening them for some retention.

trot

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2013, 09:34:06 AM »

It's going to be exciting tomorrow when I go to Gill Rd. hop in the boat to go look for my lost per scription glasses I lost a couple weeks ago in about a foot of water .We will see if the DFO swat team will be chasing me  :o .As stated in a previous post , people need to be more educated on what selected methods means .  As for this closure , I think it was only a matter of time before they closed it down . Might as well take the fly rod and try for trout  8) .

Sent ya an email.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2013, 07:06:33 PM »

http://www.theprogress.com/news/219858711.html
Please note, this story has now been updated as of today.

Chilliwack Progress says,"This is a modified version of the original story in which some factual errors were corrected, including the location of the fishing guide during the interview, which was on the Fraser RIver, and not the Hope River."

salmonhunter71

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2013, 10:26:46 PM »

OK, I have to lay out my 2-cents. I am amazed at the hatred towards flossers, I myself am a flosser..... since 1999 .....here come the insults. How on earth can your eyes be so open to flossers as the problem of the demise of the runs on the Fraser? yet, closed to the Natives nets in the rivers? It makes no sense to me. You have no way to argue with a newbie or old-school flosser when the nets are lodged in every corner. Then Dfo opens the fishery to drift net fishing. The end of the Fraser river is near and if you do not unite you have lost the battle already. The problem is the nets and the poaching that takes place by FN's. Have any of you camped on the river before.

One time in the 8-times I have camped overnight did I not here the Natives running through the night raping the river banks. Is that legal?

Also, I was out shrimping this last May and launching out of the Lummi Ferry landing in Washington ( I am American ). I started a conversation with a old-timer Lummi Native...he commented on my sled, and I said ya I use it on the salt but its home is on the Fraser....he then says oh ya I have relatives on the Fraser fishing right now, they are getting good numbers and they are only getting a few bucks a pound for their fish, then he says I am trying to get them to bring the springs down here so they can get more money for their fish.

I did not realize it till a month ago,but the FN's have never had a subsistence fishery yet this year. Check it out.

So, the problem is not 100% the recreational guys regardless of method. It is the nets, pollution, poaching, fish farms, climate, and habitat destruction etc.

The cure is going to have to cross the border folk's. We need to unite. Not get into a pissing match about being holier than thou.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:41:24 PM by salmonhunter71 »

salmonhunter71

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2013, 10:51:10 PM »

This is why it is going to be tough to win the bottom bouncing argument.

First Nations 92,000 sockeye to date, kept from their spawning beds
http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/PDFs/SockeyeKeptCatch.pdf

And the link showing no economic opportunity yet
http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/PDFs/EconomicOpportunityOpeningTimes_Previous.pdf

Even if 200 sockeye were caught per day and died to poaching or a BBQ, or stressed out by sportsman (flosser) since the Fraser opened in July that would be a whopping 4,000 fish compared to the 92,000 reported FN fish. How many fish were damaged or slipped out of the net dead to get that 92,000?

76t7

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2013, 07:25:37 AM »

Salmonhunter  71

I agree with you 100%.
It's hard to believe that recreational fishermen whether bottom bouncing or bar fishing with a single barbless hook can be the cause of the collapse of the Fraser fishery, especially since the decline only really started in the mid 2000's when coincidentally so did the beach seining by the natives in the Bailiwick area. Also note that the pink stocks are as strong as ever. IMO because they are netted neither for their meat nor eggs to any extent.

76t7

« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2013, 07:27:30 AM »

Sorry, so much for spellcheck. Correct Balliwick area to read the Chilliwack area

trot

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2013, 07:49:24 AM »

For me its not so much the fact that you guys are snagging to many, the nets will ALWAYS be the number 1 problem. You flossers are just looking for more excuses to not be hated lol all of the flossing haters understand the nets make more impact. The problem we all have is that you guys seem to use that as an excuse to continue snagging these fish. It may not make that big of an impact but it sure as heck still DOES cause a negative impact on the fish-Not to mention one hell of a mess. Have some ethics, until then you all just contribute to the problem. You are SNAGGING fish. In my books you are no better then the people running nets.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:51:08 AM by trot »

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2013, 03:22:24 PM »

For me its not so much the fact that you guys are snagging to many, the nets will ALWAYS be the number 1 problem. You flossers are just looking for more excuses to not be hated lol all of the flossing haters understand the nets make more impact. The problem we all have is that you guys seem to use that as an excuse to continue snagging these fish. It may not make that big of an impact but it sure as heck still DOES cause a negative impact on the fish-Not to mention one hell of a mess. Have some ethics, until then you all just contribute to the problem. You are SNAGGING fish. In my books you are no better then the people running nets.

So who cares about your book? You are a biased hater and spreading nothing but hateful image of others who are fishing a legal method allowed by DFO. Don't blame me for the sockeye problem. I only went out once and didn't catch anything, and saw less than 10 sockeye hooked in the entire bar for 7 hours. If the study shows less than 1% of mortality, it is 1/10 of a sockeye dead for the day of all bbers on the far. Be real, FN took 92,000 and as the other poster says, who know how many are not reported and how many just slipped out of the net strangulated half dead and never made it to spawning ground. If you care about sockeye so much for sockeye sake (not for holier than thou sake), then go walk the Fraser and report any poaching. You will do much better for the fish than blowing empty hatred here. Some of you haters are here day in and day out as a computer fishermen speculating what is happening out there. Go out and breathe some fresh air and report any violation than wasting your time here.