Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vehicle Access to Vedder Canal Dykes?  (Read 9468 times)

blueback

Vehicle Access to Vedder Canal Dykes?
« on: January 17, 2005, 10:39:38 PM »

I know, I know. We've had this question posed before, but when is it going to be open to vehicles again? Why was it closed in the first place? Just curious. ??? 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Vehicle Access to Vedder Canal Dykes?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 11:15:05 PM »

I believe it was closed due to people dumping garbage. As to when it will opened, I think Chris could answer that.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 11:54:35 PM »

Those accesses are closed to prevent this to happen again.

Article: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2003/0503_02.html

I like those restrictions on car accesses, as long as walking accesses remain open. Bad for the retired people though I guess... ;) There has to be some kind of compromise between the city, local residents and day-use anglers, therefore it is important to work closely with the other parties to maintain a good relationship. The minute you stop, you'll most likely find accesses being taken away in no time.

Lew Chater

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 11:40:20 AM »

Most of the dykes have access to them but only from one direction i.e. you have to come out the same way you went in. The reason for this is to try to stop illegal dumping, camping, partying and dropping stolen cars. The RCMP can block off the one exit as the cars can not get out the other end because of the closed gate. Regulars on the river like Chris and myself have notified RCMP of illegal activities and they will attend if priorities allow.

Chris has instigated another meeting with City Officials, RCMP, fisher groups, CVRCC etc for this Friday to discuss these closures and access points. Several of us will attend this meeting. It is through these efforts by local interest groups that we have any access at all ! When there is a problem the easiest solution for officials is simply to "close it OFF".

We need to have access but must also work with officials to control the problems. We also emphasize with city officials the economic value that the fishery brings to this area, that usually draws some attention.

Will bring you more info after this Friday's meeting !

Hope this answers some of your questions.
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 06:10:23 PM »

I know, I know. We've had this question posed before, but when is it going to be open to vehicles again? Why was it closed in the first place? Just curious. ??? 
Lew has answered your questions very well I believe. If you have any idea's what needs to be changed to the present situation please list them with your reason for the changes and we can attempt to discusss them with the City officials.

blueback

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 09:41:53 PM »

Hey fellows, Thanks very much for the excellent info. ;D I wholeheartedly agree that it seems a good idea (as Lew says) to only have a single access point. I just didn't know if there was any access at all! On another different but related note, Chris, I was wondering if maybe George of (that most excellent of Maple Leafs) Tim Horton's would consider putting a return deposit on all those paper cups he sells, as the Bronto and I seem to find many of them along the river? ;D ;D But seriously, it's excellent that you guys have gotten him on board.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 10:57:38 PM »

Good idea Blueback on the deposit thing. When we had a meeting with one of our local MLA's we suggested just that along with deposits on milk containers as well. The MLA said he was working on the milk cotainers  so will have to question him on how that is progressing. The complaint that came from the industry apparently was it would put a burden on those buying milk. To me that thought process does not hold water as all you have to do to get your 20 cents back is to return them to the depot.

Should try to work on your coffee cup idea again, maybe make it a election issue in May's Provincial election. ;D  We most likely would be laughted at but hey years ago there was only deposits on beer bottles, 25 cents a dozen, and now look what is returnable pop bottles, tins,juice paks, all liquor bottles etc.

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 12:37:26 AM »

hey everyone good to be back
 newbie question here cause i only know one spot along the vedder under the metal bridge and along that road "by freds tackle" but the canals everyone talks about is that the same vedder canal u pass over on the way into chilliwack from vancouver? and is anywhere along there good to fish? and the fall runs go threw there? thnx i know these are prolly newbie vedder q's but thnx

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 12:48:31 AM »

Yes, the canal flows under Hwy 1.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 11:20:44 AM »

An old topic but it looks like the Abbotsford side of the Vedder Canal is now closed for good because of the garbage dumping, a few irresponsible people with 4 by 4's, ATV's and motor bikes.

Access is a very important to anglers and once you loose it, it is very hard to get it back.

The problem is if you try to inform people what they doing can close access down they donot want to believe you.

This is why the cleanup activities put on by the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Coalition are so important. with that in mind please check out the new CVRCC web page Rodney has just completed. I am sure you will agree it looks great.

Please take the time to check it out at http://www.cleanrivers.ca

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 06:15:55 PM »

A bicycle is an excellent way to travel from spot to spot-lock it to itself leave it in the grass and you can fish for a while then head out somewhere else.

Why I don't see more anglers doing this I don't know-you see cyclists occasionally and fishermen but no hybrids. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 06:35:49 PM »

A bicycle is an excellent way to travel from spot to spot-lock it to itself leave it in the grass and you can fish for a while then head out somewhere else.

Why I don't see more anglers doing this I don't know-you see cyclists occasionally and fishermen but no hybrids. ;D
Very good point, I know one angler on the Vedder that does that all the time. I knew there was a reason I kept one of the boy's bikes, it also is a good way for people not to see you in your hot spot with your bike hidden in the bush. ;D

But with a fish hanging on the handle bars as you peddle away may look a bit funny. ;D ;D
Anyway green power is the in thing now a days.

Going to pump up the tires of the bike now, thanks for the idea. ;D ;D ;D

Sandhead

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 07:44:44 PM »

Even with the dyke closed to cars and trucks its only a short walk. I think its a good thing, maybe it will keep alot of the lazy people away this year that are too lazy to walk the 200 feet to the river :)
Ain't no HO like a COHO

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 08:45:12 PM »

Even with the dyke closed to cars and trucks its only a short walk. I think its a good thing, maybe it will keep alot of the lazy people away this year that are too lazy to walk the 200 feet to the river :)
Tough on us old timers with poor legs and aching backs. ???

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 10:41:17 PM »

We have a meeting coming up early in the New Year with the City of Chilliwack staff to try and keep the Chilliwack side of the Vedder Canal open. We had received notice some changes were coming so we have asked for the meeting. Vandalism of the pumping stations (stealing wire) and 4 by 4 etc. going up and down the side slopes of the dyke road and into the riparian area are the reason they are giving we may loose some more access points .

We will do our best at the meeting to convince them to keep as much of this area open for driving at least during the main fishing season.

Too bad a few can spoil it for the rest of us. As most know we lost the Abbotsford side a few months ago.