Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help finding waders for new fisherman  (Read 9481 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Help finding waders for new fisherman
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 05:47:33 PM »

Agree. I like 1.5 size up. I wear a 9.5 street shoe and a 11 wading boot. The boot is a bit big in the warmer months but it's no big deal. In the winter I use up the extra room with super thick socks. Much needed when standing in cold water for hours!

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2015, 07:38:51 PM »

Agree. I like 1.5 size up. I wear a 9.5 street shoe and a 11 wading boot. The boot is a bit big in the warmer months but it's no big deal. In the winter I use up the extra room with super thick socks. Much needed when standing in cold water for hours!

Buy wading shoes a size bigger than usual since you need space for neoprene sock and regular sock over neoprene sock (it helps to preserve seams of neoprene sock).

Have him wear the waders whilst buying the boots.  Not all brands of boots and waders fit the same in sizing (for ideas how take a look at the chart)  http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/index.php/gear-review/2013-wader-shootout-best-waders-simms-g4-simms-g3-patagonia-rio-gallegos-orvis-silver-sonic-dan-bailey-guide-ultra-redington-aquaz-cabelas-bootfoots/2013-wadershoot-out-charts

fishtruck

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 08:06:58 PM »

Thanks to everyone who took the time to give some great advice. Sorry, SpawnSack, my friend isn't interested in used eq at this time. Thank-you for your kind offer though. I too use boots that are at least one size up ,same reason as everyone else. He's going to get the ones from LLBean as price was irresistable

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 09:07:50 PM »

No worries. Hope he is happy with his new gear :)

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 09:17:06 AM »

Wear everything you think you'll wear on the cold days you'd fish (extra socks, fleeces etc;) when you pick your waders and boots.
Cramped feet ache and get cold if too tight.
Too much in the way of under garments may make the waders tight and reduce mobility especially when clammering over logs, and up and down steeper banks.

Don't go too big on the waders though as they will chaffe at the knee and thigh creating leaks down the road.

Animal Chin

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2015, 09:37:58 AM »

I used the LLBean flyweight $100 waders for 4 years. They were great, and I fished about 50 days a year or more in them, but they began to leak (luckily in the summer) this pink season. Still happy with them. LLBean has a lifetime satisfaction guarantee as well.

Currently I'm using the Frogg Toggs Hellbender waders. I bought them off WadersUSA for $99 USD shipped. I really like them a lot. Lots of pockets, wading belt loops. Great fit. I've only had them since July but so far so good. I know of someone who ordered a larger size than I wear off Amazon for $69 US. I don't think you can go wrong.

I wouldn't get the waders with attached boots. I think the OLDER Simms Freestone boots can be found on clearance for $99.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2015, 09:51:16 AM »

LLBean has a lifetime satisfaction guarantee as well.

was going to mention this as well. If they don't work out you'll get the price of the waders back. However buying from the US and shipping here through customs can be expensive. Do not get them if they ship via UPS, Fedex etc - try to get them through the US Postal Service. The major couriers soak Canadian cross border shipping with very high 'brokerage' fees relative to USPS. I don't know about LL Bean but Orvis and Cabela's can quote a full rpice for all taxes shipping  and fees for Canadian Customers.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fishtruck

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2015, 11:16:57 AM »

LLBean has free shipping for everything. That along with the 20% promo code that I have makes it a very attractive offer.

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 01:19:29 PM »

Currently I'm using the Frogg Toggs Hellbender waders. I bought them off WadersUSA for $99 USD shipped.
I too am looking for my first pair of waders and trying to decide between these and the Hodgman H3, which can be had for the same price. Any suggestions between those two?

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 10:34:17 PM »

I bought basic Reddington breathables at Fred's in Abby for around $100 a few years ago.
The waders are good with gravel guards, nice clips, etc but I don't put a lot of miles on them.

Just bought some synthetic fabric hiking boots for waders for $40 at a shoe store.