- 5 (26.3%)
FLOAT TUBE
- 0 (0%)
FROG BOAT
- 0 (0%)
12 FOOT CAR TOPPER
- 14 (73.7%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Lake fishing... Whats should i get..whats better and why?  (Read 9462 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Lake fishing... Whats should i get..whats better and why?
« on: April 27, 2013, 07:46:55 PM »

So at first i really wanted a car topper.. But i have a 4 runner with no roof rack... So i statted thinking..maybe i should get a pontoon.... BUT i have  float tube that i used half a dozen times and managed to lose a fin i  the middle of ross lake... So after spending a good 3 hours bobbing..i swore on my life i would never do a tube agai

Thoughts?   What do you like..  And why.. What are the pros and cons
see ya on the river

patagonia

Re: Lake fishing... Whats should i get..whats better and why?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 10:15:57 PM »

What are you using it for? Lakes and rivers? Are you open to a rack for your truck? A lil more info needed to answer your post

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 10:23:26 PM »

Lakes..... No rivers.    I would put a rack if needed
see ya on the river

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 10:48:39 PM »

10 or 12 Foot Zodiac . Just pump them up and away you go . My buddy had one we used all the time on the Fraser and lakes . We had a 25hp Mariner outboard . His Zodiac came in a heavy duty carrying bag we could throw in the trunk or the back of the truck .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 10:53:52 PM »

take a look at the products that Sea Eagle have. they have full out inflatable boats, frameless pontoons, etc. I think primarily for what you want an inflatable may be your best choice, just dont buy a super cheaper one or something just because its expensive. Do your homework on the boats your considering and when/if you can go and look at them with your own eyes not just online pics or at the very least look at something with comparable features

http://www.seaeagle.com
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 11:47:15 PM »

I know lots of guys who own Aquamarines ( based out of Richmond ) and love them.

http://www.aquamarineboat.com/

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 06:42:36 AM »

Its so interesting with all the inflatables getting recommended.. Over time do leaks not develop? I guess it would be as common as a pontoon leaking
see ya on the river

StillAqua

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 07:13:26 AM »

Get an inflatable for lake fishing....the type and size depends on where you'll fish (large, small, or pack-in remote) and if you'll fish alone or with a friend or two. Super safe and easy to transport and set up. Had a 11' Zodiac with 25hp that a buddy and I bought 15 years ago and we just sold. Never had a leak. You won't either unless there's a manufacturing flaw or you run it up on rocks or don't store it properly. I'm using a SeaEagle frameless pontoon 285FPB now http://www.wcboats.com/pontoon-boats/frameless-pontoon-boats/ because I mostly fish alone in smaller lakes....love it. Built in rod holders and I have a small electric for it if I feel lazy. Keeps my feet dry and knees happy.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 08:03:48 AM »

everything "can" develop leaks over time even welded jon boats. You have to treat your toys with respect and they will last you many years. I have some fishing stuff that still look brand new after years and years of good use

whats easier to fix though, inflatable or a rivet in an aluminum ?? (my guess would be inflatable)

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

TacoChris

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 08:39:40 AM »

Option 1 buy better quality fins. I use force fins and have finsavers. Force fins have replaceable straps so check them often. Float tubes are great for smaller lakes or if you can stay near where you launch. Best option if you want to keep it simple.

Pontoons are a step up but a lot more stuff to take and set up. Better for larger lakes but you can get stuck downwind. I had to be towed back once by my friends boat I got stuck at one end of Nimpo Lake. You get strong arms with a pontoon.

Boats rigid or inflatables are better for big lakes where you need to move. You will likely need a motor electric or gas otherwise you just row.I fish mostly in my 12ft aluminum flatbottom. Great for standing and if you are fishing with someone. Inflatables have advantages and so do aluminium. More weight carring capacity for inflatables but more of the boat is hull. I would think a better option for those that fish alone unless you get a large one. Big advantage of a boat is comfort. If you want to have a beer no problem having to run to shore and get out of you waders. Big disadvantage is now you have more stuff. Get a boat and I can guarantee you will buy more stuff. Rod holder, anchors, fishfinders, lifejackets etc. Oh and by the way now you may need to take a boating course.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 11:29:48 AM »

Over the years I've upgraded from a doughnut style bellyboat, to a fishcat 4, to an 8ft pontoon, to a 10ft pontoon to a 12 ft aluminum. I usually go on 10 day lake trips every year, by about day 5 you start to get picky about all the little things....

The number one reason for the change is mobility provided by an outboard or trolling motor. Nothing is worse than kicking or rowing all the way across the lake to where your buddies are only to get there and have them say "it sucks over here, we're going back to by the boat launch".

Another advantage to an aluminum boat is the superior boat control allowed by a double anchor system. Pontoons are ok, but you'll constantly be correcting yourself in the wind.

Comfort is another factor that cannot be overlooked. Having a roomy boat to stretch out in is by far more comfortable than being trapped in your seat for the day in your leaky waders.

Its also nice to be able to take out a fishing partner for the day.

With that being said, I would recommend something similar to a Lowe 1032 or equivalent. If you have the money go for something like a flyfisher.
Actions speak louder than words.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 11:31:20 AM »

Forgot to mention...

Frog Boat WTF ???  ???

Actions speak louder than words.

TacoChris

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 12:31:34 PM »

As Stirling pointed out who you fish with is important. I started with a belly boat, then pontoon and  went to a full size boat because the people I fish with use boats with gas motors. If you are fishing with others it is difficult is one person has different capabilities. The one with the slowest watercraft gets left behind or limits options for the others.

The size and area in which you fish has a big impact on the best alternative. How much time you wish to spend on setup is also a consideration.

A inflatable with an electric motor may be good if you do not want to buy a roof rack. I personally would not want to carry a gas in the interior of my vehicle.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 01:21:07 PM »

Go pick up a 1032 like sterling suggested. It will go on a roof rack no problem. When you get more cash to spend, get an electric or a small gas motor.

jimmywits

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 01:58:05 PM »

I have both a float tube and a pram, and there is no comparison as to comfort levels, to the extent that I rarely ever use the tube unless the lake I'm going to is too difficult to get my pram into(ie, in the bush). I have talked to many other anglers that feel the same way. Many times I have pulled in to launch my pram and been in the water faster than people with assorted types of inflatables. If I could only have one, it would be the pram hands down.