Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centerpin rod advice  (Read 9474 times)

dave c

Centerpin rod advice
« on: December 17, 2012, 01:29:19 PM »

All you experienced Center pinners I need some advice please.  I've been looking to purchase  a centerpin rod for steelheading.  My options are a Trophy XL, Shimano Clarus 13', or a Shimano Convergence 10'6".  While i like the feel of the Clarus and am leaning toward it I am concerned regarding its backbone.  It seems like it would be a very supple rod but it doesn't appear to have the backbone of the Trophy or Convergence.  It almost seems it would be difficult to obtain a good hard hook set due to its flexibility.  Any Comments?  Thanks in advance.

kalex60

Re: Centerpin rod advice
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 02:41:02 PM »

I would go wiith the trophy because the Claris is a Great Lakes rod  and the convergence is heavy. I would go with the 10'6" 8-17 pound trophy xl

c-pin

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 03:14:39 PM »

I have just picked up a Clarus 13' model. I will be using for the slower flows. It is a little "noodly", and I will be using it in specific runs only. It would be a good slower water rod (say below KWB on the Vedder), but if you are fighting a fish in faster water (say Tamihi rapids), it could be a long fight. I don't think hook set should be a problem. This would also be a good "low water" rod (think of last summer very low flow), and you could go down to 6 lb or even 4 lb leader if you felt the need to. I am going to target Coho and Pinks on this rod.

If you are looking for an "all rounder" rod to use, the Trophy or the Convergence would be good options. If this is your first CP rod, then go with these. The 10 - 17 lb rating of the Trophy seems a perfect "all rounder" for Coho / Steelhead / Pink. You could even go for Chum if you have a little river bank to walk up or down river when playing them.

What king of reel are you pairing with it?

John
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 03:26:14 PM »

The trophy was my first cp rod. Very good all around rod. The Clarus is a bit too noodlely for my liking.
It can handle pretty much anything, I landed a 20 lb spring with it.  Good value for price as well.

dave c

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 04:06:36 PM »

What king of reel are you pairing with it?

John
A Kingpin prototype

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 04:35:44 PM »

Trophy or the Convergence will be your choice . enough back bone for any condition.

brownmancheng

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 04:49:37 PM »

Just picked up my first pin rod a raven im6 from berrys. Seems to be a pretty sensitive rod. Good price as well.  Anybody tried it?p

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 06:14:11 PM »

I have all 3 of those rods if I had to choose 1 I would pick the trophy make sure it is one of the new ones where the reel lock is on the bottom not the top

flyrabbit

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 08:49:30 PM »

Just picked up my first pin rod a raven im6 from berrys. Seems to be a pretty sensitive rod. Good price as well.  Anybody tried it?p

I have owned Raven IM7 and IM8....really enjoy using them.

IMHO, Raven is a better rod for beginners compared to the above three mentioned...The only downside for Raven is the repairing; had to mail the broken piece back to Ontario for replacing...

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 08:54:38 PM »

Have a look at the Fenwick HMX... it was good too me :)
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 11:17:50 PM »

i have a convergence10 6' and a clarius 13' both are excellent beginner rods.  havent bought a trophy yet. but seems good with the reviews
Tight lines to all

mvelasco

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 07:09:31 AM »

Have a look at the Fenwick HMX... it was good too me :)
Theres one at outdoor sports with med action for 150. Almost made me want to get a pin

brownmancheng

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »

Theres one at outdoor sports with med action for 150. Almost made me want to get a pin
I love my hmx trigger rod it has so much play for coho and steelhead but have brought in many chum and chinook.
They were a bit cheaper at berrys I think tho.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 10:19:57 AM »

fendwick just came out with a new series called elite series. i just bought a 11"3 10-20lb cp rod and it was $160 for my dad for Christmas. he recently broke his sage 3113lb so this rod will be a backup intill his sage is ready to go.