Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cameras  (Read 6505 times)

yoda

cameras
« on: March 14, 2010, 04:45:58 PM »

I have a 5yr old pentax optio wr 4 megapixel. i've always enjoyed the flexibility of where i can take pics but i'm noticing the quallity of some of the pictures that you guys are posting and am blown away at some of the shots of fish under the water. talking to a salesman as opposed to people using them in the field , i would tend to choose the later. would greatly appreciate your input.

shizz

• Tackletester.com - Fishing Tackle Review Blog
Re: cameras
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 05:00:56 PM »

Check out the Olympus Stylus tough range, or the newer Panasonic Lumix HD waterproof cams.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital.asp?section=stylustough

http://www.cnet.com.au/panasonic-lumix-dmc-ft1-339294668.htm

Ive used the Olympus Stylus for the past few years and ive been more than happy with it. Thinking about upgrading to the Lumix though for its HD video capabilities.

Fisherama

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 05:27:04 PM »

I currently use the Olympus stylus 850SW as well, but used to use a Pentax Optio W30 for work (I believe there are W80s now).  I've got to admit that I found that the Pentax Optio took nicer pics overall...  Has anyone tried the Canon Powershot D10?  
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 05:31:00 PM by Fisherama »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 05:33:36 PM »

I have the d10

I like it although it is technically my wife's camera.  I'll be getting the new pentax waterproof one when it comes out.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 05:54:44 PM »

Optio has a new one either coming out or is out. It looks superior to all others

Here is the review

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022411pentaxoptiow90.asp

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 07:34:54 PM »

Thanks for that Brian  ;D that looks like a sweet camera

been looking for a good camera for the wife so i can have my Olympus back LOL This one looks like it might be her Mothers Day gift this year (first mothers day ;D)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

mr.p

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 10:31:08 PM »

It all depends how much you are looking to spend.  If you're looking for a point and shoot camera, you have about a dozen choices.  If you want a DSLR you have Canon and Nikon.  I worked as a professional photographer for 7 years.  In my experience, I can say that generally you get what you pay for.  One of the most important things to look for is a fast lens, large aperature lens.  Try to get one that opens up to F2.8 at the wide zoom.  Another handy feature on most cameras these days is HD video.  I find myself shooting more video than I do pictures these days.  With HD you can pull decent stills from the video.

Fujifilm and Panasonic produce amazing images.  Very sharp and good colour reproduction.  I believe most Panasonic point and shoots use Leica lenses.  Can't go wrong with Leica glass.

Personally, for fishing I use a Pentax WS80.  Its ok.  But I would not recommend it.  There is too much image noise at higher ISOs.  Its great in good lighting but not so good otherwise.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 10:34:14 PM »

The Canon d10 is superior to anything out there in its class, but if I were in the market for a new all weather/underwater point and shoot, I'd wait for the Optio W90 to hit the stores - the cat's behind, apparently! ;D

eat_sleep_fish

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 12:51:50 AM »

I have recently stumbled upon these cameras, I am kinda interested in getting one.  They are HD movie cameras with a wide angled lens and underwater housings, http://www.goprocamera.com/products, decently priced too.  You can get their standard def one for $140 US, their HD one with all the trimmings is $300

Also, I notice that the canadian online retailer gpscity.ca carries these cameras, http://www.gpscity.ca/video-cameras.html
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 03:42:35 PM by eat_sleep_fish »

Mat9

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 04:59:34 PM »

I have a 7.2mp Olympus too and love the quality and ease of use. The only problem was the thing would suck AA batteries dry within about 5-10 pictures. I had to get a rechargeable lithium battery and now works like a charm. Got 2 batteries and charger off ebay for $20.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 07:47:44 PM »

my girlfriend looked up reviews for that Pentax Optio W90 after i told her i might buy it for her. Apparently they have been out for about a year in the U.S. and the revies for it are not good at all  :( Think i will get her a Canon D10 because these cameras are very nice  ;D
Check out our new blog

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 08:10:09 PM »

my girlfriend looked up reviews for that Pentax Optio W90 after i told her i might buy it for her. Apparently they have been out for about a year in the U.S. and the revies for it are not good at all  :( Think i will get her a Canon D10 because these cameras are very nice  ;D

The canon d10 did get some good reviews but after seeing the size of one I decided to go with the panasonic lumix ts1 and couldn't be happier. The D10 is huge for a point and shoot and reminded me of the bulky first generation digitals.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 08:32:05 PM »

Can you post some links to these bad reviews? I plan on making the W90 my next camera and would like to see reviews from all perspectives.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 09:59:32 PM »

I always enjoy camera chat for I use mine allot.
I am a pentax (w60)guy for sure. and I use a olympus 850 too and it is tough. 
The thing that sucks the most about both of them is that the HD is pour.  Always be careful when dealing with video.  Just becouse it says it is HD means little.
Having said that the panasonic camera has good hd ( 1280x720)but it is in a "custom" or "uncommon" video format which requires translation software which in the reviews says crashes PC's often.  Sounds like a rash to me.  I do not like my 850 for it uses a uncommon memory card. Same kind of rash.

Having seen the new pentax w90 I am pumped!! it has HD ( 1280x720)  Also has superior macro functions which is fun to take pictures of bugs and real small stuff.

Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 10:02:11 PM »

Nevermind guys  ::) the wife thought she had the right camera but it was infact the W80 she looked up which does have alot of bad reviews which is probably why Mr.P says he doesnt really like it.

I will be looking at this W90 when it comes out for sure........maybe a store will give me a deal for buying 2  ;D

the biggest thing i like about this camera is that it can take super macro shots as close as 1cm !!!
Check out our new blog