Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jigs on the Fraser??  (Read 9509 times)

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
Re: Jigs on the Fraser??
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 09:21:30 AM »

hey cuttthroat22 i used a jig with white twister tail around ten years ago on the lower fraser and landed a spring with it 25lbs plus some very large pinks over 10lbs. just a few feet away it slammed it. it hit the jig so hard the hook went through its bony gill plate. i gave it up because i wanted to use spinners and lures more often. white and green tails were most effective for me back then.good to see the jigs still working on the lower flow.

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 10:06:05 AM »

The bent rod jigs use a Matzuo sickle hook, this hook is very strong, have landed many 15lb chum on it, also snapped many off with 12lb test.  You can buy the hooks separately and tie your own jigs or cast a lead head on if you want more weight.  Also Gamakatsu has a nice jig hook but the wire is a bit thinner, these are also sold as plain lead heads from bent rods and others.  Dont use the bass/crappie jig heads for salmon, they are very weak hooks and will bend fairly easily, especially the cheapo ones that come with tackle kits and rods, trust me.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 10:51:30 AM »

Most fish I catch on jigs are right in the roof of the mouth in the bony part and if I set the hook properly it's almost impossible for them to get off. 

I'm am looking forward to trying out better jig hooks for sure as I think i could easily triple the amount of fish I catch on them.

My first jigs were tied with various colors of my mom's wool almost 15 years ago and people sure thought they were funny looking but I've always had success with them.  The rubber tails are no better or worse but they are cheap and simple.  I would also like to try some marabou ones with flash or even add a little flash to the rubber ones...hmmmm....

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 11:08:23 AM »

http://www.bentrods.ca/coho-salmon-jigs.htm

Ok so I see bentrods really know their jigs, those are very nice looking.

The technique described on the page works very well.  Sometimes I "twitch" 2 or 3 times and on the Fraser i try not to let it hit bottom.  Like stated on that page after the jig drops it often feels like a snag but actually it's a fish on.

Fisherama

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 02:41:49 PM »

You might also check out www.firstbitejigs.com.  Quite a bit of variety here in terms of bead weights, hook sizes and tying materials.  I bought a batch of supplies from them a while ago and was impressed by the quality.  Also, probably cheaper than anything you might find in local tackle shops.  Not to take away from Rod, but just more options. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 02:45:38 PM by Fisherama »

UFC

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 03:01:48 PM »

The bent rod jigs do look good. I actually like the ones they've listed as "steelhead" jigs better (see steelhead jigs on the website) for coho. I've experimented with a lot of jigs on smaller flows and found flesh color, pink and purple to be the best for coho.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 03:36:35 PM »

Well I started using jigs locally when I ran out of spoons and spinners and had leftovers in tackle box from visits to Ontario.  Used jigs for bass, walleye, pike, sunfish etc...

I continued to use them because they work and because they are dirt cheap. 

Those firstbite jigs are pretty as well but $3.95 and up is a way outta my price range.  I swayed away from spoons and spinners for the price reason alone.  I might buy a couple premade marabou jigs and see if they are more effective then the rubber tails and if so make them myself.

Anyone know if Army/Navy sells the good jigheads or just the normal crappy ones that are available everywhere else??

whereismyfloat

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 03:44:42 PM »

Buy the Bent Rods jigs that are pretied and have the lead heads, they are a very strong hook.

This is ok if you are planning to use the set up as is but if your planning to disect it for the jig only, it won't work. The jig head and the hook are two pieces. I do agree however, the hook are quite good.

fish fishburn

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 05:39:22 PM »

Now heres a subject I know a little about since I am from Ontario and use them all the time. I cant wait to come to B.C. next year and try some jigs on  salmon.  There is no doubt in my mind that they will work. They are the most versatile way to fish under any conditions. I am going to try different weights and tie some maribous as well. With a float and without, and different hook sizes as well. I think from what I have read on here about you guys straightening out hooks that a 2/0 gammy should be okay.  I only use gammy jigs, as far as i'm concerned all the others are junk. Just my personal preference. The jigs I use are stainless steel and there tough, the points stay sticky sharp much longer. I'm not sure what you guys are paying there for jigs but I buy them at my local bass shop for 30.00 for a bag of 50. Thats plain jigs then I doctor them up myself. Add some plastic and i'm sure i'll be in business.

one more cast

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 06:17:36 PM »

You're a bit wrong whereismyfloat. Bentrods has two styles of jigs, one with a cast lead head and one with the pin and bead. The lead heads are available at Freds with differnt colour powder painted lead heads and you can tie those up however you want.

On their website they also say they sell them at 3 different army and navy stores in the LM

whereismyfloat

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 07:20:52 PM »

You're a bit wrong whereismyfloat. Bentrods has two styles of jigs, one with a cast lead head and one with the pin and bead. The lead heads are available at Freds with differnt colour powder painted lead heads and you can tie those up however you want.

Cool, I only saw the pin and beads when I was there.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2009, 10:47:40 AM »

Went to Army and Navy in New West and did not see any of "Bentrods" jigs or any decent jigheads for that matter.  I did buy some more of the "Compac" brand and at least the hooks will be sharp for my next test on the Fraser.  Don't know if i can wait till the weekend to try them might have to call in sick one night  :-X

I didn't see any "Bentrod" products at the New West store, does anyone know if the Langley store might carry them??

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2009, 11:09:40 AM »

I went to Army & Navy on Saturday specifically looking for the Bentrod jigs.

Downtown had none so I stopped in at NWest on the way home.
The NWest store had a bunch and I bought 4 of pink/purple silver beadhead ones.

Was going to fish them on Monday but it was raining too hard in the morning.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 11:25:44 AM »

The NWest store had a bunch and I bought 4 of pink/purple silver beadhead ones.

Really??  Darn it I should have asked but was in a bit of a rush.  Where abouts are they located??  I browsed the whole fishing section and didn't see them where the other jigs are...??

Did they sell just the jigheads or did you buy the whole premade jigs?

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 01:53:38 PM »

They were the pre-made jigs.

If you enter the store from the back entrance, turn right as you approach the fishing section (straight ahead).
I'm pretty sure the jigs were 2 or 3 rows to the right.