Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jigs on the Fraser??  (Read 9510 times)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
Jigs on the Fraser??
« on: October 26, 2009, 06:17:29 PM »

I fished for a few hours off a bar in Richmond on the high tide both yesterday and today.  I chucked spoons for the first hour yesterday with no bites.  I then switched to some jigs which I used in the same spot for pinks with great success earlier this year. 

Yesterday I was getting some big fish hitting the jigs in the last 1/2 hour I was there but had to leave and didn't connect.

Today I did the same thing and got some big hits and finally connected with approx an 8lb coho that took me for a walk up the beach and only got off because of a large log in the water.

Anyone else use jigs for salmon on the Fraser or tried them??  The hits were all no more then 20-40 feet off the shore.  I'm still excited but can't go back till next weekend!!

Nitroholic

Re: Jigs on the Fraser??
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 06:26:34 PM »

intresting, I will have to give this a shot. How were you fishing them?

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 07:04:56 PM »

Mostly just reeling in with lifting the rod up (twitching) once or twice every few seconds.

lapetitebuse

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 07:36:08 PM »

you can get them in smaller system with jigs too.

rheticus

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 07:38:26 PM »

So, Cutthroat22, were you fishing your jig under a float? If so, how deep was the jig? Thanks.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 08:27:01 PM »

from his description of how he was fishing them i would say no float just a jig bouncing off the bottom (but i could be wrong) :-\
only use this method if the bottom has little or no rocks

UFC

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 08:37:09 PM »

I've fished jigs in the Fraser but found it difficult to fish them successufully from shore. It's hard to keep the jig at a good depth and with limited visibility it's hard for the fish to key on them and strike if you have too much jigging movement. You can still catch them this way though, as pointed out by cutthroat 22.
If you have a boat, it's much easier as you keep the cast distance to a minimum and focus on keeping the jig at a level depth as it goes down current. Very small jigging motion (two to four inches) gives the fish a good opportunity to grab it.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 08:56:09 PM »

Not sure if this pic will work but this is a jack I caught on a clear stream Saturday before I went to the Fraser and there were plenty of these which I could see hunt down the jig.  Notice the big pink thing in it's mouth  :D

No Float and I try to keep it off the bottom or else I catch bullheads.   I can't wait to try again next weekend and hope the bite is still on.  The big pink jig had no flash or sparkle so I'm still surprised I was getting hits. On the Fraser I was fishing both days combined for about 5 hours and must have had 10-12 big hits within 40 feet from shore.

rheticus

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 09:01:56 PM »

OK, so not wanting to seem too dense, but if there's no float, how do you get a jig 40 feet from shore? Lead shot? Or something else to give you enough weight to cast?

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 09:06:01 PM »

The jig itself weighs 1/4oz, not to hard to cast 40 feet  :)  If I had a better setup I could chuck it a lot further then that.  No weight or swivel needed.

searay85

• photobucket
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 09:10:41 PM »

jigs usually have enough weight in the head to cast 40ft with a spinning reel.it

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 12:21:59 AM »

Where do you guys get your jig heads?

whereismyfloat

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 07:49:11 AM »

Army and Navy has jig heads and so does Fred's in Chilliwack. Although the ones I saw at Freds are two piece jigs. They are intended for making jigs like the bent rod jigs. A&N has regular one piece jigs. Then you buy your plastics to slide onto the jigs.

Jona

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 07:56:10 AM »

Where do you guys get your jig heads?

Army & Navy or WalMart in the States

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 08:22:50 AM »

I would like to find better ones then I'm using because the hook is not strong at all and the point gets dull very quickly leading to many missed hits.  I can actually straighten out the hook if I get a snag with 10lb line.

Fishing in Richmond for me is more of a "getaway for a couple hours" kind of thing but now I'm looking for meat  :o

Re: casting.  I am using an old crappy spinning real on a 7 weight flyrod with metal eyes and my casting range is very poor but still gets out for enough.  Some of the fish hitting were right near my feet at the dropoff.