Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fish at the chilliwack hatchery  (Read 9492 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: fish at the chilliwack hatchery
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 03:38:20 AM »

There hatchery fish. Go ahead and catch and keep, another year of fish will be brought up by the hatchery.

That is only true, if the hatchery is able to collect enough broods for its target egg production so in several years now the same quality of angling can be experienced.

The Chilliwack River summer red chinook salmon is a transplanted stock which creates angling opportunities in July and August for the Chilliwack River.

camtheman

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 08:23:48 AM »

thanks rodney and buck for the questions and answers

Big Rob

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 01:48:32 PM »

Rod when you say that the red springs are a transplanted stock, Friends of my dad fished springs in the vedder in the 1960's, any idea when red springs were introduced to the system? Have you any information on how many sockeye have returned to the alouette river this year and how many they are expectingto return this year.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 02:41:08 PM »

Rod when you say that the red springs are a transplanted stock, Friends of my dad fished springs in the vedder in the 1960's, any idea when red springs were introduced to the system? Have you any information on how many sockeye have returned to the alouette river this year and how many they are expectingto return this year.

The Alouette had 12 come threw by the middle of July.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 04:51:08 PM »

I took a video of the fish at the hatchery today. I will put on u tube later if it looks OK.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Chinook At Chilliwack River Hatchery, August 10, 2009
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 07:28:01 PM »

Visited the Chilliwack River Hatchery today and for a first hand look at the chinook in the channel go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApWmWmRai4A

buck

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 08:03:27 PM »

Big Rob 
 Red chinook were introduced to the system from Slim Creek in the mid eighties. A number of stocks including Quesnel, Chilko, Slim, Cottonwood, and Pitt were used to see which stock would take in the Chilliwack. There are a few indigenous reds still in the system but are difficult to capture in the upper river. ( 10 - 20 fish ) There are approximately 150 -200 fish now holding at the hatchery.

rhino

• Old Timer
Re: Chinook At Chilliwack River Hatchery, August 10, 2009
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 10:59:54 PM »

that's pretty awesome to see. Thanks for the post chris! They are very powerful! :)

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 11:05:02 PM »

very cool video, thanks

noxcape

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 12:11:36 AM »

deffinatly alot more there now then where was last week when i was there

Keener

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 08:36:51 AM »

Wow. That's neat. I've never been up to the hatchery. Can't wait to see it when it's at it's peak!

doja

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 09:10:51 AM »

Wow, very cool, I haven't seen fish spawn since I was in school and the kokanee were running.

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 09:54:33 AM »

Wowsers!!!!  :o

Watching that video made me smile.  Hopefully the hatchery will be able to acquire the numbers of brood fish they need.
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009, 12:09:11 AM »

buck:

Why not have people brood the reds like the steelhead? Or net a section of the river for them? Both are easily do able and it would keep the gong show at limit hole and away from the other normally more layed back spots.

noxcape:

Sockeye spawn in the lake not the hatchery...
Buck will know better but I believe when they did net brood in years past it was found the survival rate before they were spawned was not good due to fungus growth and the stress of being netted had adverse effects on the fish.

buck

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 07:34:58 PM »

Chris

Brood stock numbers have increased  but at this time it appears that we may be a little short. However we still have until the end of the month before we start spawning. Hopefully more fish are holding upstream / downstream of the hatchery and will trickle in over the next week of two. We have not considered tubing as an option at this time but if survival rates continue to be low it could be considered in the future. Water temperatures and handling during summer time highs could be a problem. Chinook like sockeye become stressed at higher temperatures and depending on the particular stock may not take the additional handling very well. Thats why we hold fish just downstream from our diversion fence and try not to handle them until the last possible minute, so to speak.